1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camaro SS still broken (4 issues remain)

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Freeway, Aug 12, 2020.

1. Freeway

Freeway Member

Aside from the obvious lack of functioning interior RPM guage, the Camaro SS suffers most from the following 3 issues. 1) The actual SS on factory runflats takes off in a straight line when leaving hard (even when the wheels spin); in AMS2, on the other hand, the Camaro SS and all of the AI slide sideways 4-5 feet on launch. 2) The actual SS on factory runflats brakes in a straight line without inducing rotation; in AMS2, the camaro starts to rotate under hard braking even when going straight. 3) on dry grass (off the race course), the actual Camaro SS has absolutely no problem gripping the terrain while moving under 10 mph; in AMS2, on the other hand, it is more like sit and spin. (The above issues are true whether or not TC is on or off).

Regardless of the above, the Camaro SS in AMS2 is at least driveable now even if it bears little relation to an actual Camaro SS. Not sure if the effect is one of placebo or minor tire model adjustment... Either way, I have faith Reiza can and will get this right.

NOTE: I have been driving a Camaro SS for 3 years now (2016) so I am extremely familiar with how it should handle.

Meantime, I do really like the SuperV8s. They are a blast to drive now. Still suffers from too much rotation under braking but not nearly as bad as the Camaro SS above. So, we're clearly moving in the right direction.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Member

I am flabbergasted that this as not been fixed, how hard can it be to fix such a basic issue that should never had happened in the first place?. This one is a little hard to swallow to be honest. :(

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I could imagine, the car will get an overhaul as a whole. I mean, it was very noticeable, that it has received some reports about issues on quite some departments and i don't think, that it isn't been acknowledged, yet. So may be more efficient to give it a pass all at once.

There also were some very urgent things like the penalty system and other tweaks, content etc., that probably will fill the list quickly. One thing, after another, i would assume.^^

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I suppose we'll have to be patient. Note sure that people not liking the current Camaro (at least a little) will ever be satisfied with its future iterations, unless it is turned into a GT4 Camaro...

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Haha sure. This is the sim-racing community. o_O

6. CrimsonEminence

I fear, you miss the point here.
    It has nothing to do with turning this car into a GT race car. Its complaints are about tyre slip, wheelspin and drivability/stability which could need fine tuning, according to some reports by people that apparently have driven the car. Small tweaks can already make huge differences.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I agree, but I sense a vague expectation for road cars to drive like race cars, and if you cannot push them as such, car is deemed 'wrong'. And Youtube videos with road cars pretty much prepared as a race car, do not help with that (That Camaro Nords video for example). I'm not certain having road cars at all in AMS is a good idea in the first place. If it had point to point racing on roads, maybe.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  8. CrimsonEminence

I'm refering to experiences by the people, that have driven the car IRL and reporting back.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. DaWorstPlaya

DaWorstPlaya Active Member

I tried the car yesterday to see what the fuss was about and I have to agree with the OP. The non funtioning tach, completely threw me off! I was like WTH. o_O

The car is horribly broken and drives nothing like IRL. With TC and STM turned OFF, the car is basically undriveable. I've driven older Camaros IRL and they aren't this erratic. The problem comes when yaw kicks in and the car starts to slide, its basically unrecoverable. Real life Camaros are heavy, break away more progressively and are relatively easy to control at the limit. You can easily slide the car and keep it under control.

It's almost like the car is riding on all season tires with a bad alignment in the game. As one of the few production cars in the game I hope it gets updated soon.

• Agree Agree x 7
  10. Avoletta1977

Avoletta1977 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The Ultima is even worse...

11. Freeway

Freeway Member

Is the Camaro SS really just a "road car?" Keep in mind, I am an avid Camaro SS owner so I might be slightly biased but...

It comes down to what you think a road car is versus a track car... I gather you are not aware that the entire 2016-2018 Camaro lineup (including the SS) have 2-3 pages in the owner's manual specifically devoted to track preparation. So, not including the required change to brake fluid, most, if not all, the parts we need for track racing actually come with the Camaro SS. Moreover, how many road cars do you know that come with a factory warranty which covers broken parts on track (certain restrictions apply)? Put super sticky tires on the Camaro SS, change the air deflectors (half hour job), change the brake fluid and rear end fluid, lower the tire pressures a bit and you basically have a high torque, super cornering, and super stopping track weapon capable of over 170 mph.

Long story short: I would argue the Camaro SS can and will smoke many "pure" race cars even in showroom form on factory runflats. Again, if you have not driven one... and you have both the skill and the maturity to handle it...you owe it to yourself to try it. The major detraction from the Camaro SS is outward visibility but if the mirrors are set correctly, if you actually pay attention to those mirrors, and if you have blind spot monitoring, and cross traffic detection... you'll adapt to it in no time.

Note: I am not saying the Camaro SS is appropriate for long distance racing (since it is missing some of the additional coolers that come on the ZL1). But, for a few laps at a time, on something like Laguna Seca or Willow Springs... mmmm....perfect.

12. Freeway

Freeway Member

• Like Like x 2
  13. Pixel

Pixel Active Member

Just drove this car and it's complete ass. Why even include it in the game if it's going to drive like this.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  14. Freeway

Freeway Member

Last week I was informed this is supposed to be a 2018 Camaro SS. And, it actually looked like one up until this most recent patch. Unfortunately, it has now been hit with what many consider to be a rather UGLY 2019-2020 front fascia. Why was this necessary? Can we please go back to the far more attractive 2016-2018 Camaro SS front fascia? Alternatively, perhaps, replace it with or supplement it with ANY of the sixth generation ZL1s as DLC.

Note: I apologize to the many Camaro owners who kinda like the newer SS front fascias. The reality is the change in front fascia was highly controversial and generally panned by the media as well as fans of the 2016-2018 series. I will say the newer front fascia looks best when totally blacked out.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
  15. CrimsonEminence

I've tried the Camaro right now on Goiania...i must say, i find it pretty fun.^^'
    Maybe it's still off compared to its real life counterpart, no clue, but at least it is controlable on throttle and this in a way, that is kind of fun for me personally.

I hope, some guys with experiences in this car still retry it and can report back, what exactly is off now, that some tyre tweaks seems to have taken place. ("drives like ass" is not valuable information, btw. :D )

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. John Hargreaves

John Hargreaves Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I don't think I've ever even seen a real Camaro in the UK, let alone driven one, but what OP says makes a lot of sense.

17. CrimsonEminence

I have seen one today, actually. :D This car is actually astonishingly beautiful IRL!

EDIT: I have noticed, that it squats a bit delayed to braking and throttling up, when giving strong load/weight shift. It's the car animation, i know, but maybe this also is reflecting some physics behaviour? I have no clue, how it actually should work with this car and how these dampers are working, so...grain of salt.^^

18. Freeway

Freeway Member

The latest patch with a modified tire model definitely helped the Camaro SS; however, it still has an unrealistic tendancy to rotate under hard acceleration or hard deceleration that must be fixed. In real life, this car stops extremely well (with zero rotation). And, while there is a tiny bit of squirm on hard acceleration, the real car can also maintain a straight when the throttle is pushed to the floor. Moreover, the AMS2 version of the Camaro SS is far too easily unsettled.

Secondarily, it seems to have inappropriately gotten the 2019-2020 fascia which was deemed controversial at best and generally panned by the motorsports media and fans.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. CrimsonEminence

Yeah, i almost expected this to be the main issue. This is actually a tendency i know from pCars2 for many cars, where i wouldn't expect it to overrotate too much (including high aero cars on decent speeds).

Sorry for that in advance, i'm going totally hipster and say, i quite like it...please don't punch me.. :D :D'

20. CrimsonEminence

Would you mind to test something?
    Could you activate the geared diff and deactivate the LSD in the setup and try a run? Leave bias on defaults.
    May be cool, if you could report back. :)

• Like Like x 1