1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tyres Tyres Tyres

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Coanda, Aug 16, 2020.

1. Coanda

Coanda aahhh whinge whinge f@#ken whinge.. Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Please Reiza can we have the various ideal hot preasures and tempreture range for all the available compounds for all vehicles/class..?

We are flying blind and this information would be very much appreciated..

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. Damian Baldi

Damian Baldi Active Member

You should find it yourself. I'm sure devs have some theoretical data and calculations, but I'm sure they don't know the data you ask for. Or if they have it, it doesn't the right one.

• Disagree Disagree x 11
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Jebus

Jebus The Lying Finn AMS2 Club Member

I'm pretty sure devs have a very good understanding of ideal temps and pressures for each car. I mean it's an essential part of racing and a thought that sim devs wouldn't know that info sounds highly unlikely.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Damian Baldi

I'm sure they don't know, but I'm not saying they are not capable or lazy, it takes a huge amount of time of testing to know that data. I think they have been very busy solving problems instead fine tuning the tires.

Temperature and pressure seems disconnect at the moment, being brake temp that rise the tire pressure more than the tire temp from friction.

From the experience I had driving some cars, I could tell that modern cars with downforse works well with 1.5 bars and old cars mostly without downforce work better with 1.25 to 1.35 bars.

• Disagree Disagree x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. lawgicau

lawgicau Active Member AMS2 Club Member

My impression lately is that the tyre model is hugely forgiving. I've stopped worrying about cold and worn tyres in races, it seems to have little effect on overall grip.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Do engineers on the tracks have a guideline from God as to what will be the best pressure for their race? You should drive the car and find it out. You even have telemetry that will show the temperatures so it should be easy to see...

• Dislike Dislike x 3
  7. Ettore

Depends on what you drive... Ultima GTRs for instance go very easy over 100C temp and you will see very clearly the tires performance decrease...
    On the other side older F1s have difficult tires to warm up and it is very visible the difference between them running on too cold tires or warm tires.
    In general I have noticed that the best results come with the lowest pressures that will prevent tires from overheating.
    Also it is difficult to see the differences in a 10 laps race. But if you do a long race like 30 minutes plus you will see the difference in tires behavior and very clearly in the wear...
    I think it could still be improved a bit by slightly reducing the cold tires grip but I think so far it's not so bad.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Roar McRipHelmet

Roar McRipHelmet Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I must be a few levels below you guys when it comes to tire knowledge, pressure and temperature. Sorry for the n00b questions, but they kind of seem relevant in this thread so here I go:

I know "green is optimal", "blue is cold" and "red is hot". But I don't know if I'm supposed to compensate for non-green ranges just by changing how I drive, or if I need to do setup changes. For instance, if it's cold weather so that the tires never reach green temperature range, should I increase the tire pressure in order to heat up the tires? And if I'm driving Formula Trucks (in my mind gently) and the tires are orange after a few laps, is it okay to let them get orange as long as the wear is not too bad, or do I need to reduce tire pressure a little bit (unless they were under-inflated to begin with)? Should my only parameter for adjusting pressure be telemetry outside/middle/inside temperature differentials? So many questions.

9. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

I doubt you're really "below" anyone. It's just that a few individuals like to act like they know it all, when the reality is that they don't. The attitude in this thread towards a straight-forward, reasonable request is ridiculous, elitist BS.

What total horse manure. Every modern racing team will know the IDEAL operating temperatures for the tyres they are using, and that is what the OP is asking for. You can't just "find out" for yourself because... surprise... we didn't design the bloody tyre. Reiza will have this information since the operation of the tyres is an integral part of designing the car physics.

No they don't genius, but they DO know the ideal operating temperature ranges and therefore know what to aim for. If you don't have a target then you're doing exactly what the post above yours says... flying blind.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Damian Baldi

Get seat while wait for those numbers. When you build a tire you don't know with which pressure it will work better, you can input all the data and set the temp of the optimal grip, but that's not enough to know under which conditions it will work better. To know those values the tire have to be tested under several conditions.

11. Micropitt

Micropitt Mediocre driver doing mediocre laps AMS2 Club Member

In the real world it goes like this:
    Racing Team receives tires from the manufacturer. With that, they also receive guidelines for the range of tire pressure they can use and how that relates to tire temperatures. Usually they use the track temperature to define the tire pressure which will be in the range of the recommendation from the manufacturer. Racing Teams usually don't do wild guessing about tire pressure.

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Ettore

What real teams do is testing. And figuring out which tires pressure/temperatures will give the best performance and if there will be wear issues. This means actually driving the sim and spending some time in it. What's so wrong with this? I know by now what temperatures are best for the few cars I am driving the most. Maybe some other sims have given you the habit to serve you the best setup and tire pressures, but as I was saying this is what drivers and their car engineers do for a living.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

Tire manufacturers provide ideal operating windows for their product. That goes from the tire Pirelli supplies the SRO GT3 cars with all the way down to my street tyres, for which Goodyear recommends 2.4-2.5 bar for normal driving and 2.7 bar for highways.

That's probably not only to make the teams life easier, but also to show their product in the best possible light, und maybe also some kind of legal safety net.

The ideal temps and pressures are already in the game, how else could you guys have found them - so we're only asking for a way to let people know what to work towards.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. Coanda

I understand practice, practice, practice is required with varying scenarios to get the best out of the tyres.. however, if you think the devs have no information whatsoever that they would be coding into their various tyre models and vehicle physics you are somewhat delusional..

With several thousand hours in AC/ACC I am pretty much full time on AMS2 right now which is credit to what Reiza are doing and where this sim tittle could end up.. The kunos devs have provided this information to it's sim racers and I do not see why Reiza possibly could not as well..

I treat this information as a good guide. A starting point for further exploration. With so many vehicles and compounds and with more to come, at the moment it is as I say, flying blind particularly for historic tyres and rapidly changing weather conditions..

How am I supposed to find out what tyre each vehicle uses especially for wet conditions, let alone what are the manufacturer recommendations..?

I can't believe people are resistant to further knowledgeable information from the devs.. Don't use it if you think it is bogus and you can do better than the creators of their own sim.

A lot of new drivers and rookies would be absolutely lost on this topic and would appreciate this information.. As would I..

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 2
  15. lawgicau

lawgicau Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I concur that testing will find the exact sweet spot, but the end user, whether that is a race team in real life or us as sim racers, should know a target range to begin with.

• Agree Agree x 6
  16. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Would be nice if we could have a choice to have tyre pressures in PSI as well, bar means nothing to me and is not used in my country. Please Devs, pretty please with sugar on top.

• Agree Agree x 5
  17. Coanda

I really hope so mate.. You can get PSI now however everything else is non metric.. I asked for this in EA..

[0.8.0.1] Tyre Pressure P.S.I.

18. David Wright

David Wright Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Go to Options - Gameplay - display - display units and choose imperial

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. David Wright

David Wright Active Member AMS2 Club Member

It was much easier for Kunos as there was only one pressure (or 2 if we include wets). Not sure if they did this for AC or how many other devs give this information (ISI/S397, S3, iRacing?) though as it happens SMS did give it out for PC2.

20. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Fix one problem and then make another, lol

• Funny Funny x 2