1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camaro SS still broken (4 issues remain)

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Freeway, Aug 12, 2020.

1. John Hargreaves

John Hargreaves Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I tried the geared diff myself and it definitely made a positive difference, the car was a lot less sideways on acceleration in a straight line and generally a bit better behaved. Still doesn't feel as planted as a high performance road car should be to me. The comments Freeway makes seem very sensible to me.

2. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Geared Diff is about 1 second slower on Goiania, compared to the LSD, but it's surprisingly stable to drive with it out of corners.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Had a drive of this for the first time tonight, just with default setups. The thing is a pig to drive, won't accelerate in a straight line without going sideways then goes straight when you want it to go round a corner. I am not dissing Reiza, I just assume it may be like that in reality?

4. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Member

The tachometer was fixed yesterday, that is great.
    One more issue with the Camaro is when try to shift up with the paddle, you need to first release the accelerator to shift. From the interior cockpit and shift animation, the car is clearly a paddle shifting car.

5. CrimsonEminence

In the car description it's H pattern and it also should be, because the paddle shifter should've more gears.

6. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

I agree that the Camaro SS in AMS2 is fun and challenging to drive but, I have driven them in RL and in AMS2, it currently feels like it's on steroids and a bit unstable. It really drives more like an older Gen Camaro (late 60's / early 70's HP-modded) to me. The RL current-gen car is not scary to drive and handles pretty well overall.

Now my friends 735hp 2015 Mustang (TC / SC off) is a bit scary on 2-lane roads during hard acceleration. Once the rear-tires break traction, the rear of the car instantly veers off course.

• Like Like x 1
  7. DaWorstPlaya

DaWorstPlaya Active Member

I agree the car is still too unstable. As the OP said, the car is unstable during under braking, where the rear slides out towards the end of your brakezone. Also the car "feels" more like a rear-mid engine RWD platform, than a front engine RWD platform. Meaning the car wants to keep turning as it slides, where the polar moment of inertia is more rearward. The beauty of front engine RWD, is the ease of controlling slides.

8. Freeway

Freeway Member

9. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Cockpit graphics are wrong. It's the 6-speed H-pattern manual that is simulated. One of the Caterhams also has wrong graphics of an H-pattern when it is a sequential. These things will get fixed eventually.

10. Roar McRipHelmet

Roar McRipHelmet Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

For me, the best way to tame the "widow-maker jolt when accelerating on straights" in the Camaro SS and Ultima GTR Road, is to disable all differentials (from a default setup: Set Clutch LSD to "OFF").

My favorite place to test this is along the bumpy Lakeside straight at Oulton Park, that would normally kill me in the Ultima. But with all differentials disabled, it now feels closer to how street cars drive in other simulators. Maybe it's because the Viscous LSD is still active, and that behaves more predictably than the Clutch LSD?

Isn't it a bit weird that a car spins easier on straights with the Clutch LSD set to "on", than if you turn it off? Maybe the Camaro SS and Ultima GTR Road have bad default setups for the Clutch LSD, and some tuning there is needed. Or maybe the Clutch LSD implementation is bugged somehow?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 2
  11. lawgicau

lawgicau Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I don't mean to be inflammatory but it is possible to keep the Camaro SS discussion to a single thread? Not saying it's not important but we're up to four now.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. DaWorstPlaya

DaWorstPlaya Active Member

It think the car still displays a lack of grip even after the tweak. I bet most of the issues go away if the devs up the grip on the tires even more. The car still feels like its on all season tires with no grip.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Freeway

Freeway Member

Fair point lawgicau. Not planning on adding any new threads.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Avoletta1977

Avoletta1977 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I can't see any improvement on this car.
    It requires more than 90 deg of steering correction in straight line when spinning tires so for sure something is broken.

15. CrimsonEminence

Try the geared diff...it's quite surprising.

16. Avoletta1977

Avoletta1977 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I tried with open diff and spool in order to check extreme cases and it was still problematic.

17. CrimsonEminence

It's still problematic. The geared LSD at least stops overrotation under throttle input, but it's also slower over a lap. Funny enough, the "most broken" Camaro SS behaviour (with Clutch LSD, which should be the realistic option?) is also the fastest option on track. The car litterally drifts its best laptimes in AMS2. :D

18. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Another proof that this road car will always be found to be problematic until it is made into a tame GT4 version that almost drives itself...
    People think they want road cars except they don't.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  19. CrimsonEminence

Man...we got several independently made descriptions of this car by people, actually driving it IRL. The descriptions differ a lot to the actual behaviour of the ingame car and the ingame car even features the creamy premium tyre. Have you driven the car and can give some counter-arguments?

You miss the point by talking the complaints down with "apperently they want a GT4 car". This exactly the stuff, that kills improvement. It's really sad.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
  20. tk84

tk84 Member AMS2 Club Member

Yeah have to agree, whilst yes have to realise we're comparing road cars to race cars, this is still a performance road car and shouldn't be suffering from a lot of the handling issues mentioned here - wanting to spin off the road if you floor it in 3rd gear, and unable to stay in a straight line in high speed braking you'd have thought would have been picked up on in any of the real world road tests and reviews.

The understeer at low speeds again is something I've not experienced in similar road cars and something that doesn't feel accurate.

It's interesting the consistent rotating when braking from high speed is the same issue the V8 supercars have and the Ginetta GT4 had, although personally I feel it has been reduced in subsequent updates from the Ginetta.

• Agree Agree x 1