1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What constitutes an 'incident'?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by lawgicau, Aug 15, 2020.

1. lawgicau

lawgicau Active Member AMS2 Club Member

This is coming from the point of simracingsystem.com, as after the race it will list how many incidents each driver had an deduct championship points accordingly.

SRS keeps record of incidents as an race average for each driver, using it like a safety rating.

I know from the SRS forums that the number of incidents is generated from ams2, not SRS, so what causes an incident to be recorded?

You'd think contact with other cars, but some races I have been punted off from behind and been given an incident and the other driver has not. Sometimes I can have a completely clean race, no offs or warnings and still get them. Other times I can run wide, get a warning and have none.

It all seems very inconsistent, so given this might a part in the upcoming ams2 safety rating, I'd love to know how it actually works.

2. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

A popup in game at the exact moment of an accident could provide clarity,

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Wolfgang Herold

Wolfgang Herold I Like Liveries :) AMS2 Club Member

afaik incidents are car/car and car/environment collisions.
    Maybe cuts are also reported.
    But that all depends how SRS interprets it. Its writen to the server log files and then SRS must parse throug it and search for entries that could be an incident.
    I assume the AMS2 savety rating has access to much more internal parameters as the server log that SRS uses. SRS is just a simple crutch ;)

4. lawgicau

Thanks for your thoughts.
    As far as I know SRS does no analysis, just takes the incidents directly.

5. lawgicau

After some discussion on the SRS forums, some possible ideas are:
    • Hitting an edge of track bollard
    • Pressing the car reset button
    The devs might stumble on this at some stage and shed some light but in the meantime we will continue to speculate.

6. Wolfgang Herold

i think hitting the pollards or signs creates a track collision incident.
    pressing the car reset button is not logged afaik

• Like Like x 1
  7. lawgicau

This raises its ugly head again. Just finished an SRS competitive race, one spin of my own fault on the last lap. Lead every lap of the race without touching anyone or going off track (besides spin).
    AMS2 gives me three incidents, which means I lose enough points to be second in the championship after winning two from two.
    If I hadn't spun, maybe I would still be given incidents? I have no idea what I'm meant to do to keep a clean sheet.
    Devs if you happen to be reading, please give some insight.

8. Andrew Hollom

Andrew Hollom Active Member

I don't know about how AMS2 records incidents, as I've only played with it, but in rF2 if you look at the log analyser results, you can have many hundreds of incidents without hitting anything, going off track, or spinning. I've come to the conclusion that they must be due to your car bottoming out (racing cars are rather low!), which is hardly an incident.

I don't think incidents should affect points awarded for finishing in a certain position as was mentioned above in SRS. The safety rating system isn't a race director, just an indicator of competence (or incompetence) to filter people into servers for various levels.

• Like Like x 1
  9. lawgicau

If it's from bottoming out, that is ridiculous.
    SRS definitely deducts points for incidents. The race results are displayed with points tally, then incidents, then final points with deductions matching incidents.
    It makes sense to punish rammers but at the moment it's just annoying a bunch of people.

10. Andrew Hollom

Andrew Hollom Active Member

Rammers won't be bothered I don't think, but a race series needs a human steward to deduct points, as it's often too involved for an algorithm to decide fairly. I think any incident that doesn't involve another player should be ignored from a points standings perspective, but it should affect your rating in some manner.

• Like Like x 1
  11. lawgicau

I think that's a fair assessment. SRS have races every hour of the day for Assetto Corsa so human stewarding would be impossible.
    Really hope Reiza will see this thread at some stage and shed some light.

12. Wolfgang Herold

Don't accuse AMS2 for that. You spun out and there was a log protokol that you had an impact while you spun. Its right, that AMS2 log that. Its SRS fault if they are not able to make a difference. Normally you should contact them and claim protest.

13. lawgicau

I said the spin was my fault, no qualms there. Not expecting zero incidents but why three?
    Another driver clocked up 11 incidents in a separate race, despite winning their race without leaving the track or colliding. That driver is now last in their championship. Does that seem fair?

14. Wolfgang Herold

again it is just a log file. It logs impacts. Not more, no less. If you spin and collide 3 times with somthing i e.g. you spin, your rear has an impact, you spin further , your front has an impact, then again your rear has an impact. Now in the log there are 3 impacts in , lets assume, 2 seconds.
    Its the job of SRS to filter and interpret that correct to know that all 3 impacts in a frame of 2 seconds belong to the same incident. There are time stamps !
    Blame SRS, not a simple impact logger.

15. lawgicau

SRS does not have the ability to go interpret the log. This would require a human to examine every car for every race. The incident number from what I can tell is taken directly by SRS from AMS2.

You speak confidently of knowing how the system works, but your speculation does not match what is happening in these races.

I have had races where I have not left the track, touched anyone or anything and still had incidents.
    I have had races where I was hit from behind twice (netcode rather than driver fault, I have seen both replays), received three incidents and the other driver had zero.

Clearly there are things at play that are unknown and not intuitive. Your scenario above makes sense but that is not what happened and doesn't match in this case.

16. lawgicau

I've done some digging and guess you are looking at the output log from a dedicated server. I don't have access to that but found some results posted online for AMS2 here:
    Result 200815-RQ0 - BrandsHatch_GP - VRT Brasil - https://discord.gg/basFaen - Automobilista 2 - Simresults
    It seems like the only incidents that appear (practice 10 has the most) are collisions with other cars. That fits with what you're saying above, but there have been several instances of incidents applied where no car to car contact or car to barrier contact have taken place.
    Perhaps this is a bug?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
  17. Wolfgang Herold

right. But as you and me don't have the original logfile frome the DS, we can't parse it and don't know who is doing it wrong.
    I know the output of pCARS DS very well, and what i found is, that AMS2 DS only outputs impacts, but none cut track events.
    So i assume, all output comes from original SMS code, but Reiza currently does not care for it and some changes in their code just generates output, not related anymore to that what SMS originally intended. If that is true, we have to wait until Reiza puts the hand on it.
    In that case, SRS system in its current state is obsolete, as it trusts to occasional and/or incomplete data.
    In this case, i also would blame SRS, because checking that there are no cut track events anymore costed me 5 minutes coding. I think, they just thought "ok, pCARS2 messages here" lets just copy&paste our code and and start with AMS2 servers. Tough **** :whistle::p
    Reiza never announced to have reliable output. All knowlegde of us comes from SMS forums, so this is not official for AMS2.

18. lawgicau

Thanks for the response and the discussion.
    I have requested from the SRS the log from a recent race.
    If they supply it, a lot of questions would be answered like whether SRS interprets the log or not, and what was actually recorded by AMS2. Fingers crossed.

• Like Like x 1
  19. muz_j

muz_j Active Member

Can I assume you're using the SRS AMS 2 app ?
    Automobilista 2 App

If so - then that's almost certainly using the API features - like Crew Chief, to directly query and extract data on the fly as the game is running.
    There may not be any form of log from the game's perspective. I'm pretty sure there isn't from my brief look at it.
    In which case it comes down to how that application has been coded and what it's been programmed to interpret.
    My guess would be logic based checks on telemetry data and other information, on the fly, while the game is running.
    eg: Crew chief will respond almost instantly using the game's API, when you start over heating your tyres (as a random example) or you're running low on fuel.
    API's have a defined set of available parameters and data (that's the whole point of having a documented application programming interface).

In a one sentence nutshell - if the SRS web-site and logging relies on that application - it's entirely on them in terms of how that application is coded, the parameters and data that it is querying, how often and the logic that is then used and applied against it.

Start asking them specific questions - them being SRS, if you don't agree with how it behaves.

Here's a couple of references that might give you the gist, if you don't have an understanding of how API's work (and I don't mean to be condescending, but if these links clarify things for one person, then perhaps that's useful).

https://www.howtogeek.com/343877/what-is-an-api/
    API - Wikipedia

In a one sentence summary: It's a defined interface structure, with documented methods for querying and receiving and potentially sending data to and from the application.
    It can be one or two way. They can be read only or provide the ability to modify data. In the case of games, most of the time, it's going to be read only (allowing an external application to modify game data is generally not the intention with game related API's - although after giving it some thought, I can think of some obvious examples where that might be useful).

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  20. Wolfgang Herold

BS.
    API output does not any output in case of cut tracks, incidents, impacts etc.
    API just outputs car telemetry and game states.
    Incident output comes only for the dedicated server.
    Read the api before you refer about theoretical api constructs with link to wikipedia.