1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the best VR headset for simracing currently?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by F1 Hero, Aug 11, 2020.

1. DaWorstPlaya

DaWorstPlaya Active Member

Yea I saw that, unfortunately HP hasn't confirmed that date. It would be a pleasant surprise if it does show up in September.

2. InfernalVortex

InfernalVortex Active Member

Steam does some wonky things. It’s trying to do it behind the scenes, though, so as long as you don’t mess with it you’re usually okay. A Rift CV1 is considerably lower resolution than my Odyssey Plus, and I still have jaggies without super sampling.

My point was that due to the screens being flat and rectangular, lenses are needed to warp the light to match your normal vision and compensate. The end result is pixels near the center of your vision are much larger than pixels near the periphery, due to the necessary distortion of the display to conform to your eyes. Because of this, even high resolution displays will need anti aliasing since the pixels in the center appear so relatively large, and this is why super sampling will likely be the norm for a while. But the hype around the reverb g2 may prove warranted. If it truly looks as good as they say and the resolution in the center of the lens is good enough you can’t see individual pixels there, then maybe we are finally where we need to be.

I’m talking about higher rendered resolutions being harder for regular high end graphics cards to run. Hardware resolution is another issue altogether. The main hurdle to truly impressive VR is the physical limit of how densely you can pack your pixels in your headset. Higher resolutions in hardware make a huge difference for that. If you’re hardware limited super sampling helps, and that is a nearly the same end result in terms of processing power. Meaning someone running a lower resolution headset with a lot of super sampling may not be that far off from running a higher resolution headset at native resolution. If we have better displays we can make super sampling and anti aliasing less necessary. But the point of my post was not that higher resolution screens don’t matter, it was that they may not matter as much as you might think in regards to how much graphics card you need to run it.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
  3. F1 Hero

F1 Hero Active Member

Anyone knows the Reverb G2 width of the face interface (eye box)? I didn't find this information anywhere.

4. Johngrim64

Johngrim64 Member AMS2 Club Member

Same for me on rift s no supersampling and up the ingame aa looks the best and turn off asw its crazy that people with a 2080 ect are running asw because of crazy supersampling asw is for old gtx970 ect .Im looking at g2 too

5. Bull Shark

Bull Shark "Later has already begun." AMS2 Club Member

AWS is not needed if your system can run 90fps in VR. with AMS2 you easily maintain 90fps with fairly high ingame settings. No SS? It all looks a bit jaggy without SS if you ask me.

6. InfernalVortex

InfernalVortex Active Member

SteamVR applies its own supersampling regardless of what you set it at in game. Thats why its best to leave in game super sampling at zero.

7. lensman45

lensman45 Member

I don't think the in game super sampling works anyway. Setting it at 1.0 through to 2.0 I see no difference and definitely no impact on performance.

8. Scoops

Scoops Member

Just had a notification email Reverb G2 shipping worldwide in October. Not a big surprise that Sep date has slipped.

• Like Like x 1