1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need. More. Videos! C'mon guys!

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by GregzVR, Mar 13, 2020.

1. GregzVR

GregzVR P1 passion, P10 talent.

I could drive these cars all day long. I was enjoying myself so much, that I forgot to save the replay at the end of the run lol. :confused:

• Like Like x 3
  2. muz_j

muz_j Active Member

Formula Classic Gen 1's - 5 laps around Donington National.
    I love driving these cars, but sometimes they don't seem to like me much, but it's really fun trying to balance the acceleration out of corners without sliding them out or spinning off etc. In this video I have verified that roll over physics are indeed working correctly (just after the 4min mark) - but I don't think the AI driver appreciated my driving much.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. muz_j

muz_j Active Member

yep, they have quickly become a favorite of mine. I like both generations of them too.
    nicely balanced and really fun when you get a section of track done.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  4. GregzVR

What appeared to be a relatively simple race on paper, turned out to be anything but! :(:confused:
    Formula Classic Gen 1 at Silverstone 1975, for a tough, carnage-filled, 20-lap race.
    With no 1987-1990 version of Silverstone available, this is the closest we can currently get, to a layout that suits these mid/late 1980s-based F. Classic Gen 1 cars. CPU skill level: 105%

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  5. ChuckieG

ChuckieG New Member

Man, I would love it if setups were included in these videos or an informative how-to video for this game would be even better. I just starting sim racing and set-ups can be a bit intimidating.

6. muz_j

muz_j Active Member

Nice to see these cars being driven in VR. At some point i'll move to VR myself, but at the moment I need to focus on other priorties.
    I love it when you get a good crash to drive past. That car's motor seemed to let go or something, as that's a decent cloud of smoke :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. muz_j

muz_j Active Member

I honestly think you would be better off learning to understand car setups and adjustments yourself - but that's my opinion.
    That way you will develop your own settings for your own style and understand how to adjust it as the situation changes. Different weather, temperatures and the race distance for example all play a role in how I adjust my car settings - as well as other factors, driving style is a big one too.
    Take one look at GregzVR's video above and mine prior to that and you can instantly see we have very different driving styles in the same car. He's also running his AI opponents 5% higher than me. It is what it is though and that generally changes over time as you get better with a game. Quite a bit of my own preferences for driving come from my motorcycling experience. The Formula Classic style of cars appeal to me for example as they remind me of 2 stroke motorcycles with their power delivery. I'm revving the thing hard, limiter bouncing and throttle blipping, to try and keep the revs up and the turbo on boost - as that's how I like to drive. Greg's got a much smoother style going on in his video.
    If we're both happy driving as we are - I wouldn't say either way is better - at the end of the day it's all about lap times.
    ...do you see my general point ?
    I suspect we both have different preferences with car setups and again, I don't consider anyone else's settings to be better or worse than mine - they are someone else's preferences. It's exactly the same in the real world - I've seen pro drivers, motorcycle racers and pro mountain bikers all get good results with radically different setups. It raises the question of if one is objectively better than the other ?
    From my perspective, it comes down to who wins the race on the day in question.
    My main advice again is to learn the basics - which is going to take you some time. You will probably want to watch / read various things - both from the real world and from other sim racers.
    Here's a really good series that goes through a lot of stuff, with an episode on each. It's from Project Cars 2 (the same game engine as this one), but the game is really irrelevant. You can use the same knowledge in any racing sim - rFactor 2, Assetto Corsa, ACC etc
    Take your pick and start with one topic and work your way through. Skip anything you see no value in and practise.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/Yorkie065/search?query=setups+episode

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  8. ChuckieG

ChuckieG New Member

Hey muz_j. Thanks for the thoughtful reply! I think the problem was that I recently purchased too many games, downloaded many mods and don't have as much time as I would like to play them all. But I hear what you're saying. So for now, I think I'll stick with just a few cars with a focus on learning setups rather than jumping into every car/mod/track I have. It's possible that I may be sim racing for the long run, so I think it's necessary. I am truly enjoying it.

P.S. Thanks for the link. Yorkie's baseline setups video helped put things in perspective for me. ;):)

9. GregzVR

F-Classic Gen2 Model 2 at Imola 1988, for a fierce 20-lap race. I was faster in all the wrong places on this track, due to the Model 2 car having a full 100 HP less and reduced torque than the Model 3, whilst only being 10KG lighter.
    Starting from 14th on the grid, I would need to get creative, if I was to snatch a desired podium.
    CPU skill level: 102%

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  10. F_B

F_B Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

• Like Like x 2
  11. GregzVR

• Like Like x 2
  12. GregzVR

• Like Like x 1
  13. Micropitt

Micropitt Mediocre driver doing mediocre laps AMS2 Club Member

Rumors have it that AMS2 also has other cars besides of open wheelers. Well, the rumors are true. Here is some good ole door banging with the Ginetta G55 at Interlagos:

Same race but Track side view:

• Like Like x 1
  14. savgeax

savgeax New Member

• Like Like x 2
  15. Beccobunsen

Beccobunsen Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  16. Norman K.

Norman K. Member

• Like Like x 2
  17. Norman K.