1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Quality

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by JavierZumaeta, Aug 28, 2020.

1. JavierZumaeta

JavierZumaeta Active Member

Hello!

New user migrating from the SMS forums. Really enjoying AMS2 so far. I have a question for you guys, interested in your opinion.

Is it me? Or are the grphics just not as good/polished as pCARS2? I can't tell what it is. Some of it is the lack of... geometry on the tracks. The Hockenheim classic track comes to mind - that recent update where the faraway hills now look a lot better. Bathurst also had a similar issue? But is that all it is?

Is it the quality in textures? I race exclusively in VR, and the anti-aliasing seems out of control in the textures - The blurry up a lot as you get farther away - the anisotropic setting seems to have no effect. Is that what's giving me that impression?

What do you guys think? Is it just a consequence of Reiza's studios size?

2. lensman45

lensman45 Member

After a little tweaking I find AMS2 has better VR visuals than pCars2. Might be worth your while reading through the VR thread towards the top of the discussion list. There is a sharpening tweak you can make by editing an ini file.
    What Headset are you using?

3. JavierZumaeta

JavierZumaeta Active Member

CV1. I do have the sharpening tool .ini doing it's thing, and in that respect it works great. But it's not the world the needs sharpening, it's the textures. It's the textures though, that get really blurry. The logo at Jerez on that bridge on the front straight, as you get far away from it you can't read it anymore - but the bridge itself is still sharp. The dials on the dash get blurry, too. I might have to play with the MSAA as I was reading up in the VR thread.

But I think the graphics quality goes beyond this though. It's not the lighting... the lighting is the same as pCARS2...

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
  4. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Later has long since begun. AMS2 Club Member

it is not only in VR. In pancake mode it not as crispy and vivid as well.
    PCars2 has something which I still not have seen in other racegames. The colours and the lighting etc are just perfect.

5. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

Good to see i am not the only one then. To me PC2 is above the sims competition in terms of tracks and overall atmosphere rendering.

I want to reach this with AMS2 but despite using the AMD graphics drivers available and upsampling resolution what have you, i feel its not a match to PC2.
    You would assume the same game engine would have given similar graphical results, somehow

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
  6. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I find the track structures and surroundings textures to be a bit flat and blurry especially when you compare it to ACC which is the new standard.
    One thing that also bugs me but it is something that been around forever is the repeated texture, it is noticeable on track walls and bridges at Silverstone where it looks like creases or marks have been copy and pasted every so often.
    The other thing is that the cars look too flat, like they are absorbing light rather than reflecting it, it makes the cars look plastic like I heard it described in another thread. The cars look fine apart from that, would be nice if this could be tricked up.