1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 August 2020 Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Aug 31, 2020.

1. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

002.jpg

Hello everyone! Happy to bring you all another round of our traditional monthly development catch-up.

The month of August has been buzzing with racing again as most series push to catch up with the time lost during the early months of the year due to the onset of the pandemic, and so it has been another productive month of catching up for ourselves as we have continued to push hard to make up some ground from our official release a couple of months back with a continuous flux of substantial core game updates - I dare say that with our latest v1.0.2.7 we have come closer to the standard we were hoping to be at when crossing that milestone.

This of course does not mean the game is already as good as it can be or that we we have run out of things to improve and fix; Automobilista 2 is afterall a long term project and there is plenty of items still on our to-do list for the coming months. There is a long road ahead still, but we hope those that have already come onboard are now properly enjoying the game, and those that haven´t yet become gradually more convinced this is not a ride they want to miss out on :)

Along with all the core game development, there has been some great content added with the Silvertone Pack DLC release earlier in the month along with the Lotus 49C, Brabham BT26A, and later on the awesome Mclaren MP4/12 with its special "brake steer" system as free additional content, rounding up a month heavily focused on classic open wheelers.

Tin top fans should not frown however, as anyone who has seen the dev roadmap in the official AMS2 website can attest, there are plenty of goodies still to come for those who like a roof over their head!

Bringing it all Up to Spec

It´s not all about bringing in the new content however, as with Automobilista 2 we continue to strive to keep every car and track up to a reasonable standard, so that the package works as a whole, as this will be important for what will come later on in its development cycle.

Some of this work is already in progress - August has seen the picturesque Spielberg Historic receiving a substantial revision relative to its original release, as you can see from the comparisons below:

beforeafter3.jpg
    beforeafter2.jpg

More of the "older" content should receive similar revisions as we continue to learn how to get the best out of the Madness engine.

Speaking of exploring the resources of the Madness engine, we have now begun the work on implementing its full damage system to all cars, with scratch & dirt maps along with deformable mesh and a bigger set of detachable parts to all cars in the game - currently only the Ginettas and more recently the Stock Cars from the 2020 are using all of these resources, but by the next update we´re hoping most if not all cars in the game will feature some proper wear & tear looks as per below:
    008.jpg 014.jpg
    The latest version has also seen the introduction of the Director Suite, to offer more broadcasting tools for leagues looking to stream their races.
    image_2020_08_31T10_30_28_349Z.jpg

VR Spectator Cameras

We´re working on a new feature that should considerably enhance the experience of watching replays or spectating online with a VR headset, as the usual TV cameras (which most of the time currently aren´t best suited for VR) will be replaced by VR-dedicated cameras placed on grandstands, marshall posts and other interesting positions on the race track one could reasonably access if you were just roaming around trackside with a very special general admission ticket :) It should add a cool new dimension to spectating races in VR, allowing one to get a sense of how it is to sit on the main grandstand at Interlagos or at the top of hill in Mount Panorama, and even get to do some time travel if used with a historical car-track combo, going to sit up close to the fence at Silverstone to hear late 90s V10 cars flashing by!

Here´s a video to give an idea how it will work:

Camera positions, LOD and sharpening settings are all WIP here of course and to some extent so is the audio, for which we have some interesting developments incoming that should really boost the experience of watching a race be it in VR or not - in any case this gives an idea of how it´s going to work We will be gradually adding these VR cameras to all tracks in the game over the coming updates, with the initial batch already coming with the September update.

Other Upcoming Developments

Since we have touched on the topic of audio development, we´d like to assure again that similar efforts are also ongoing to improve every area of the game - some on the short term, others on the longer term but generally you can expect AMS2 to play, look and sound better with every monthly update, and also become a more pleasant game to use as more quality of life improvements are integrated and further customization options added so users can tune it more to their own preferences.

To give a better clue into this ongoing process, below you have the unusual preview of what our code taskboard looks like, giving you a glimpese into the various tasks we have worked on, are currently working or will come to work in the near future - there are similar boards for every development front in the game, and they are constantly expanding not only to include the developments necessary to fulfill our own plans, but also to attend the more common requests we gather in any of the ongoing feedback topics here in the forum and in other commuinties:

Capturar.JPG

So while can´t promise to deliver on everyone´s personal wishlist within a couple of updates, we can at least assure we´ll be giving our best shot to implementing any reasonable request we come accross towards making the game better.

Then there is the content - as you know from the last July Dev Update there is plenty of cool cars currently in the works, with a number of previously announced Classic Touring Cars to be added to the game in our next update towards the end of September - but we´ll share more from these along with a couple of unnanounced surprised as we progress trough the remaining weeks :)

New AMS2 Packages Now Available on Steam!

We have commented before in one our August releases but it´s worth reminding in case you missed it that we have launched two extra Steam packages for those interested in Automobilista 2 and / or its DLC:

The Automobilista 2 Premium Track Pack includes the two Premium Track Pack DLCs already released (Hockenheim & Silverstone) as well as two other to be released before the end of 2020 (Nurburgring & Spa), along with a fifth still TBA.

This pack does NOT include the tracks featuring in the future Expansion Packs or the Historical Track Pack DLC, and it is designed for those with interest in these premium tracks but would rather commit to a smaller, shorter term investment than the 2020-2021 Season Pass.

The Automobilista Ultimate Edition + Automobilista 2 Bundle is a limited time offer for AMS1 fans looking to make the jump to AMS2, or AMS2 owners and want to check how the predecessor compares.

For those who don´t own either, this is the complete Automobilista Experience in one Single Package! Get Automobilista 1 Ultimate Edition (including all DLCs) AND Automobilista 2 with a special 25% discount on overall price! If you already have one or more items of this package, you get 25% off for the items you do not yet own.

Giving Credit Where Credit is Due

This seems like an appropriate time to give a shout-out to Slightly Mad Studios and their considerable contribution in the making of Automobilista 2 - not just for developing a great sim racing engine and licensing it out to a small studio such as our own, giving out well over one year of continuous support to help us get the best of it, but doing all of that without taking a single penny in advance, or even for a few months into its release to ensure we were able to continue developing it to the best of our ability - all this made clear to us that more than anything they wanted us to get as much out of it as we could, and they certainly went out of their way to supply us with the means to do it.

This is most unusual in the gaming industry and for all that we owe them an immense amount of gratitude, as we did to ISI before them - anyone who already enjoys AMS2 or comes to enjoy it in the future as we continue developing it should be able to appreciate their contribution to making it a reality.

Wherever you land in the spectrum of racing game preferences, we should also all try to be happy with the range of great options currently in the market catering for the diversity of tastes that does exist, and recognize the role SMS played from GTR onwards in helping making sim racing what it is today - we are all better off for it :)

That´s all for the month of August folks - we´re back to work now and looking forward to having made further progress and having more good news to share by this time in September!

busk3.jpg

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
    • Like x 53
    • Winner x 34
    • Friendly x 13
    • Useful x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
  2. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Buskerud!!!!! :)

• Like Like x 6
  3. FeltHat

FeltHat Active Member AMS2 Club Member

What about Buskerud Ice? :whistle::whistle:

4. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Great. Looking forward to the progress. AMS 2 is already the Sim to be, and it will get even better. Looking forward to 2023-2030. Still hoping for a real Rally Sim. Endurance, man vs nature. No hotlapping.

Wohoo. :D

5. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Ah!! Lovely to see T887 in the progress Kanban column, hopefully it is tied to the VR experience :D

• Like Like x 4
  6. Shriukan

Shriukan Touristenfahrten Community AMS2 Club Member

I am guessing that will be for next year around the same time as the Adrenaline pack.

• Creative Creative x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Micropitt

Micropitt Mediocre driver doing mediocre laps AMS2 Club Member

That damage model looks great. The progress AMS2 has made over the last 3 month is incredible. Looking forward to where it goes from here.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I’m not a VR owner but that video is incredible, thanks for posting. The work you’re doing with audio excites me a lot too, ACC, Dirt Rally and Raceroom have noticeably upped the ante for sim sounds and I never realised quite how much they added to immersion until recently.

On that note, I had been blissfully enjoying your Spielberg recreation before your recent update which stepped it up to a new level, so really raises the bar and happy to hear you’re working on more art updates like these.

I was wary about buying into this game originally and I think it still has a little way to go before it becomes my ‘go to’ sim but each of these updates makes me very glad I have done and look forward to spending more money with you.

As someone with no interest in some of the DLC packs (off road, street cars) the new DLC pack for circuits is high on my list of future purchases and really looking forward to finding out more about the Historic Track Packs too.

Anyway, here’s to Classic Touring Car month, even if they’ll arrive a bit too early for their spiritual home at Spa, and hope you can drop a few hints as to what to expect (a guide about quantity maybe, so my imagination doesn’t run too wild!) through the month.

Thanks team

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

Almost looked like the simulator of the year PeeSee3 shout out would have been mentioned at the end there :D but nobody used the forbidden words so all good.

10. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo "Son of Spartakus" and "Leisure Nostradamus" AMS2 Club Member

Thanx Renato, T887 is what i wait for so long...the sooner the better!
    Ah,i see someone else just was quicker than me.:)

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Thank you for the hard work and sharing little insights to your way of handling things! Some points in the taskboard even give some additional optimism, i would call it. :D

Be assured to know, that there is indeed much awareness (at least on my side and i also think of others) that you really care about feedback and delivering the best results, possible!

Not gonna lie, i sometimes ragequitted AMS2 in the past, due to some things, that still await some love and hitting me all together in one evening with the sim, but i still don't regret the purchase of AMS2 by any means.

I know, that some of the things, that AMS2 needs to improve on, need time and a deeper look but more and more combinations start to be really captivating me in a very good distraction from especially this sh!tty 2020. :D

1.0.2.7 also was a little bit of a breakthrough for me as an user in terms of general experience!

Keep up the fantastic effort, but don't forget to take a break from time to time!:hurrayreiza:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
  12. TheDoctor

TheDoctor New Member

This is classy AF, respect.
    :hurrayreiza:

• Agree Agree x 31
    • Like Like x 2
  13. BadEngineer

BadEngineer Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Loved the shout-out to SMS. They really deserve the credit. Although there's an argument to be made about their "betrayal" of their fans' expectations, I do think people are too quick to jump for their pitchforks nowadays.

• Agree Agree x 8
  14. Dicra

Dicra Local Gamepad Ambassador AMS2 Club Member

This is really impressive. I don't know, I have this theory that Slightly Mad Studios do know that they were - maybe also due to the fact that they had to satisfy their publisher - indeed never able to quite reach the ambitions they had with Project CARS 2, and so they moved on to a different path.

But the ambition to - even by proxy - fulfill their original goals was still there, which was why they chose Reiza to take a shot.
    And even though I don't agree with many things SMS has done, boy was this an incredible decision.

• Agree Agree x 6
  15. Shriukan

Shriukan Touristenfahrten Community AMS2 Club Member

Independently of where SMS went with their newest release, the (purpose of the) engine they built lives on with Reiza and shall deliver its full potential and more as the team delves in and keeps learning, optimising and adding to it. The future does seem brighter than ever. It is a shame that a game that I viewed as the bridge between simcade and full sim was downgraded but if it helps bring new players to AMS2 and new players into simracing by taking the simcade stepping stone first, then everybody wins.

Keep on chucking the updates during the week and grilling the meat on weekends. Patience rewards.

• Like Like x 1
  16. SuperMonaco_GP

SuperMonaco_GP Active Member

those words about SMS hit hard, given all has been said last weeks.
    I have been myself very much critique towards them , but after seeing the level of hate and general toxicity produced by some members of the community, I decided to step back at least to keep some distance from those individuals, which I like to think it's still a minority among all simracers.
    we're better than this guys, as I'm sure SMS is better than what is doing right now.
    anyway, kudos to Reiza for those words.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. psone

psone Guest

Reiza I think I actually love you...there I said it.

Side note is it my imagination that currently some car shaders look more realistic than others the G55 and G58 to me seem more believable/dynamic(if that makes sense) in any lighting conditions than lets say the stock cars, the stock cars paint looks much flatter/matt in a way that seems like it might be less physically correct. Just wondering if some cars are due for another pass in that department?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. F1 Hero

F1 Hero Active Member

Reiza, thanks for one more dev update. Will the "grandstands camera" be available to non-VR users too?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Óscar Melero

Óscar Melero foxtochop AMS2 Club Member

Bravo.
    Memes aside, which are just jokes (mine included, the Star Wars one), I couldn't have said it better.
    Everyone can have an opinion, of course. But it is a FACT that it's hard to imagine simracing if the guys from SMS hadn't been involved in it.
    PC2 sure was a nice title to drive. With all its known flaws, I still find myself lapping Le Mans Vintage on the Ford GT40 MkIV.
    PC3 was just released. It is obviously focused on what NFS Shift was. It is curious to find people who praise NFS Shift and talk sh*t about PC3. That is what I don't understand. And the majority is people who just watched 2 videos about it. (Remember a well known YouTuber who said AMS2 was a bad title and now we can find him praising Reiza again?). For a second time: PC3 was just released. Let them hear you, let them update it to your complaints and reports. Let SMS and Codemasters develop it to the future.
    You can say it's not for you. But you don't have the right to blatantly insult the devs efforts.
    I personally don't like PC3, it's just not for me. But I'm sure many people will enjoy it.

Thank the devs that not everything is sim, or that not everything is arcade, or simcade, or 30-70%, or 10-90%, or 0,1-99,9%, or whatever.
    Thank them we get to choose. And not between 2 or 3 titles.
    We are in the gold era of racing games... once again.

• Like Like x 2
  20. J93653017

J93653017 New Member

World Movement makes the game unplayable for me. T887 on their code taskboard hopefully includes a complete revamp of the World Movement and G-Force Effect settings.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1