1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Heitor Facuri Cicoti, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Ernie

Ernie Active Member AMS2 Club Member

+1 for DLSS support.

I'm aware that you need a RTX graphics card for this. But with the new 3000 series incoming and second-hand 2000er cards becoming cheaper and cheaper, i'm quite sure that more and more VR users will get a RTX card.
    However .... we have to wait and see what AMD can offer for VR users with "Big Navi".

• Like Like x 2
  2. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Yet I tried it two days ago and the impact was noticeable.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. InfernalVortex

InfernalVortex Active Member

I was reading yesterday that DLSS may not be that effective for high frame rates like what we tend to run and may cause weird artifacting.

nVidia did announce the RTX 3000 will include DLSS support for VR, so Im guessing this isnt something anyone can do currently. I also feel like after a few more generations and it wont really be a relevant technology anymore.

I dont know any of this for sure.

But what I do know is I've got a 2070 Super and I still dont have the graphical quality or the rock solid frame rate I want in some cases (such as Kyalami in anything other than sunny weather, rain anywhere, etc).

4. dburne

dburne New Member

Hi gang,
    Brand new to this sim. I used to sim race heavily way back in the days of Papyrus. I have been a combat flight sim fan for the past several years, and now do all my gaming in VR.
    Decided to try sim racing again to see how it is in VR, so got the old Logitech Momo Force out of the attic in storage and purchased this sim yesterday. So far I really like what I see. For now all my interest will be in single player.

Have been reading through the this VR thread and have a couple of questions:
    I see it mentioned where one can bind a reset VR view to a button, however I can not find this in the settings menu? From earlier posts here it seems it should be in the VR section of the settings?

Also, is there a way one can drive the car out of the pit onto the track rather than it being automatic? I can't seem to find a setting that affects this either. So far I am only doing testing by myself on the track.

Thanks for any tips,

5. Tony Rickard

Tony Rickard New Member

To reset VR view there is an option in Options, Controls, Edit Assignments, Camera & view. Scroll down to the bottom.

To drive in and out of the pits under Options, Gameplay, Authenticity. Scroll down to manual pitstops and set that to yes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. dburne

dburne New Member

Got it, thanks so much!!

7. DaWorstPlaya

DaWorstPlaya Active Member

Yea DLSS 2.1 will finally have DLSS support for VR (something I was not aware of). It will be upto the Devs to implement that in game. But from everything I've read, DLSS is super easy to add to existing titles. I would be AMAZING if Reiza and SMS are able to add it to the Madness engine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Mike1304

Mike1304 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I use Pimax 8k plus and enjoy AMS2 a lot. For me it’s the best VR-simracing-experience on the market. But I have performance problems and can only play with tiny FOV and low graphics settings. In other words I can’t use the potential of my Pimax headset at all with this title.
    So a DLSS support and maybe a patch like in rFactor2 which solves the parallel projection problem for canted displays would definitely help with performance...
    Fingers crossed...

• Like Like x 1
  9. dburne

dburne New Member

Well I got to enjoy the game for about a day and a half before my original Logitech Momo Force bit the bullet. I think I have had that thing around 16-17 years so I guess that is not too bad.
    Have a Logitech G29 coming from Amazon to be here tomorrow.
    Looking forward to resuming my learning process.

10. Ernie

Maybe it's easy to implement, but AFAIK you need Nvidia's supercomputers to train the KI algorithm with your game. And i really don't know, if developers have to pay Nvidia for this "service".

However, i would really like to see DLSS 2.1 support in AMS2. I'm quite sure, VR users (with RTX3000 cards) could benefit from this.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. dburne

dburne New Member

Ok new G29 wheel setup just arrived, going to get that puppy set up and resume some practice laps finally.

• Like Like x 1
  12. DaWorstPlaya

DaWorstPlaya Active Member

That's not what I've heard/read. Tensor does need to be trained by DLSS but that is just added to the driver as an update telling the Tensor cores what to do in certain situations. The game doesn't need any special training or else it would be a nightmare to implement DLSS for every game out there.

Honestly with so much free performance on the table and RTX 3 series cards coming out, I'm surprised more developers aren't jumping on the advantages of DLSS.

13. Ernie

Yes you're right. The trained AI routines for DLSS come with the Nvidia driver.
    With DLSS v1.0 training for each single game was neccessary. Only with DLSS v2.0 (and above) will it be possible to have non-game-specific DLSS support.

Let's wait and see how it goes on with it. I'll keep my fingers crossed for AMS2 and DLSS support.

14. keem85

keem85 New Member

Is there any way of removing the annoying hands/player model in this game, while still keeping the steering rim intact? It's so annoying!!

• Like Like x 2
  15. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Nope.

16. keem85

keem85 New Member

Can't believe they removed that option.. I mean, if they remove the player body, why remove the rim with it? Makes absolutely no sense!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Ciccina2016

Ciccina2016 Member AMS2 Club Member

Good Morning Chaps,

can you please recommend a good game configuration to run in VR the game at 80 FPS?

18. Mike1304

I bought a new high end PC with i9-10900, GTX 3090, 64 GB RAM... and even with this monster rig I can’t get fluid 72 FPS with my Pimax 8k plus in rain or night, even on mid settings...
    Maybe it’s because of parallel projection or there’s something else wrong on my side. On the other side all other games run fluid even on ultra settings...

I don’t understand for example why resolution setting has effect on picture quality in VR!? I thought this setting is only for monitor display but when I set extremely low resolution (to save performance) I get low-res blurry picture in VR headset too... Is this normal?

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

VR performance in AMS2 is not very good here either currently. It seems VR needs some optimization in order to restore performance levels and image quality however, it's likely not a top priority for the dev's right now for a variety of reasons.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Mike1304

Yep, unfortunately VR isn’t top priority. Problem is that once I tried VR I can’t race without it...:D
    The support for canted displays for example would solve my biggest performance problem and maybe would only be a few lines of code but unfortunately I can’t help Reiza here.

Would be nice if some VR programmers, even from competing companies, would work together and share their VR Know-how (rFactor devs for example who already brought a patch for canted displays or Half-life Alyx creators who must be magicians considering what graphics quality they could achieve with perfect performance optimization).
    It would be a win-win-situation for everyone IMHO...:)