1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sim Racing. General discussions and thoughts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Maser V6, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Andy-R

Andy-R Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Taken from that Watkins Glen race report. The dry tyres in AMS 2 definitely way OP in wet weather then considering the AMS 2 gap to dry time is smaller on a longer lap and without wet tyres. I'll mention it in the physics thread.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

Sry no, not opposite, treaded may well be too much, I did very early on (not here April /May) say the drag effect from puddles was not enough(more planning, not vintage cars just p2) then it improved but yes may stll be off. that is the wet tyre model in general.
    What struck me yesterday was the same test races that Im familiar with from then, is that I was pretty fast on slicks and it did not seem to be much different from full wets (Sigma and Duratec ) should have been real tricky just to stay on track let alone full throttle at times
    I have linked the original May vid from u tube, it was really the start of ai testing in very wet conditions and there insistance at the time of slowing down, for big puddles which then gave me positions. they stayed committed to dry racing line and almost like brake tested me.
    The improvements over time esp with so many ffb updates did give me more feel and sense of the tire grip in wet. now months later its all improve as have the ai (to me) but From our 2 different track/car combos maybe still more work to be done. slicks irl p2 car on the wet track last night would have had me off on lap 2 not 5.

I will try your combo
    Thanks David
    Are we saying there were never races on these early treaded tyres? or just the vintage tyre represented in ams 2 as opposed to real life.
    Yes full tyre range pls for all that had them in there era.

3. Maser V6

Quite funny watching the manic driving back then in may but it was fun and had me hocked on storm raceing for a while.

4. David Wright

David Wright Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I don't understand your question. I'm saying in the period 1967-70 the F1 cars used dry tyres and wet tyres. In AMS2 there is only one tyre option which I can only assume represents the dry tyre. The dry tyre was treaded but the tread wasn't designed to cope with the wet, and certainly not standing water.

5. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Yesterday i drove F-V10 gen2 on Silverstone 2001 at strong fog. I was basically hearing boss-music, as soon, as i entered Maggots. I never felt performing so baaaaaad since 2003. :D
    I really thought, i know this track, but i know nothing. (Jon Snow!)
    I was ruining almost every corner entry.

Storm, rain, heavy rain...no problem. But apply fog and the day is ruined, because i can't see sh**. :D

6. Maser V6

Ok thanks just my misinterpretation
    Too many basic things are not yet sorted imo be it transmissions, tyres, --- ie most of the recent posts about the Camaro ss are the same issues raised for the first 2 weeks when it was introduced.
    I shall stop reading so many posts that are not as positive as they could be!
    and just run with it or hibernate
    I know it will improve in many ways.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
  7. Maser V6

Ha Ha I only tried it once and the realism with the weather is pretty spot on. Cant see damn thing.
    With the session default start time at 00.00 I have ended up running in darkness by accident, it actually was not too bad for track learning, muscle memory, instincts etc
    fog, well not much chance at all!.
    Its been nice in the past to run 24 hrs (60x) races the transitions are great.

8. Maser V6

Looks like a must see

The Williams nostalgist thoughts

• Like Like x 2
  9. Maser V6

Some thoughts from Chris on Equipment and some interesting looking rigs.
    Stable rig is my priority in my case (pic to follow). It just finding the time to fire up the welder.
    Your thoughts/pics welcome

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
  10. Andy-R

Thoughts:
    Mustangs are mean!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

You spelled weak wrong :->

12. Andy-R

Lol :D Such a cool video, that front red Mustang doesnt appreciate the Mini it seems :p

13. Spitfire1

Spitfire1 New Member

Your comment will affect sales shhhhh...

14. Maser V6

Its Friday, coffee time video.
    With probably the strangest f1 seasons this year, it was refreshing to see the magic of Imola recently.
    For this generation of drivers (apart from Kimi) a real fresh new challenge.
    Obviously from the work the drivers did in their simulators, the hours put in paid off, well at least for most of them!.
    With all onboard footage from the difference perspectives we can see some super manoeuvres.
    Enjoy

Any online Ams/Ams2 similar clips to share?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
  15. Maser V6

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Maser V6

Friday coffee time.
    Mm well with the future looking bright in AMS 2 I have spent some time in a particular car class that does not usually appeal to me GT3, try and not hate me for it but we all have our preferences.
    However this week has been been enjoyable for the most part with the GT3 AMG Mercedes.
    first of the GT3 cars for me to try, and I like the driving experience straight out the box, being compulsive Ive stuck with it and left out the others in the current lineup for now. I run all cars at default first try usually and probably for longer than most.
    Sound wise, its pretty good imo though my initial thoughts were it lacked deep bass, though now its improve since release. Unless by Sub was on less than 90%.
    How does it sound irl, well the onboard mic in vid is pretty good for cockpit impression
    These cars are very popular in all sims it seems and with good reason. Relatively easy to drive fast, with good performance and electronic wizardry to help drivers stay on track.
    (Wizardry is not my cup of tea so to speak, but thats another story/debate and the way I and a few others run these and other assisted cars after first impressions is off)
    My curiosity with GT3 leads me to find out more about the real cars and the driving experience.
    so why not start here.
    Edit 2nd video just gets to the driving. Headcam

Deep bass! love it.
    Well a fast lap, no drama, late braking, foot to floor. A fast safe car
    Do you love GT3? pls share your thoughts
    Love to find a BMW Procar race around here onboard.:) Or GT3 with assists off!
    A better vid. no waffling

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  17. F1 Hero

F1 Hero Active Member

When do you think the next generation of racing games, based on the newest engines (like Unreal 5) will come? Maybe in 3 or 4 years?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
  18. Maser V6

Hi f1, thanks for Question
    short answer probably less
    Developers must be able to plan ahead taking into account advances in tech and processing power, if they dont they risk being left behind applicable to lots of industries of course
    just my opinion.

I would not be best qualified to answer that, though others here are.

My own thoughts would be, well 3-4 years is enough time for some serious strides in tech and possibilities.
    As an old timer I am always impressed with how fast tech moves on, we have stuff now that when I was in my 20's was pretty new on star trek!

longer term
    Processing power pc/graphics has come leaps and bounds 10 years and less and the new revolution has only just begun imo.
    Graphine is of interest for me for totally different reasons. However there is talk of graphics possibilities. From Nvidia
    "MIT. Scientists at the renowned American university has designed a microchip that can process data at unsurpassed speeds. They claim that its new chipset will be able to operate at unimaginable 500-1000GHz, in other words at Terahertz levels. The substance used is carbon"

VR could take the full immersion route, ie as alluded to in my earlier post on this thread and you will feel the pain of a collision or mistake, to me this would be a natural evolutionary route for VR with sensors on the body able to stimulate your muscles, and inflict pain also!
    Maybe 3d technology will enable the same immersion as VR but without the headset!
    Or 300 degrees of flexible screen!

• Like Like x 2
  19. Maser V6

cut

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
  20. Maser V6

@mrjiffy6 hi
    Nice to see your pics when u can post here