1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has something bad happened to the chevette?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by david1916, Sep 3, 2020.

Tags:
  1. david1916

david1916 New Member

pre version 1.0.2.7 was nice and solid to drive.
    post 1.0.2.7 can barely keep it straight. Turn and then return wheel to center doesnt seem to happen - car keeps turning
    Doesn't happen with any other car.
    is it just me?

2. Wedsley Dias

Wedsley Dias Active Member

3. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

Last time I drove it I didn't enjoy the experience, in previous updates it was rather fun but now it seems to be always trying to rotate unlike any car I've driven irl.

4. david1916

david1916 New Member

yes. 2ndLastJedit thats a better way of putting it. thats exactly what I mean

5. david1916

david1916 New Member

I thought something has gone terribly wrong...so I actually re-installed entire game + deleted settings in my documents
    but its still horrible to drive

6. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Nothing is wrong. It is one of the cars that tweaks to tires and set-up when combined with the FFB tweaks in the latest update results in the FFB exaggerating the race set-up rotation of the car. If you use certain custom FFB files, you can barely tell the difference. On the other hand, tweaks to some cars now make them feel sublime using the Default FFB. The Chevette is not outside the range of what would be expected for a race car set-up as they are always far more over steer than a road car. The really racy set-ups are unrecognizable (try either of the Gol's or Passat's and see if they feel like any FWD road-going econobox you have ever driven :) ).

You should be able to make simple adjustments to the set-up to tame the over steer. If you now how to do that, great. If not, just ask as several people on here can help.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Avoletta1977

Avoletta1977 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The Chevette has the same issues of many current AMS2 cars due to wrong diff behavior plus a terrible FFB with dead center.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Yes, as I mentioned above, the latest Default FFB is not the greatest with this car. I assume we'll see a bunch of updates to the slate of cars that still have too much floppiness in the centre of the wheel since most of the cars worked on most recently have moved in the right direction.

I decided to go prove my point by running the Chevette at Kansai East...aka Honda test track with the world famous esses. Here is what it revealed:
    • Default FFB "dead" centre makes this car more difficult to handle--using a Custom FFB profile that doesn't have a "dead" centre resolves the issue, or, learning to be very delicate with the right foot pedal also resolves
    • Admittedly, the Default set-up is on the racy end of the spectrum compared to many AMS 2 default set-ups, but is easily controllable and the car can be steered with the throttle, which is the goal of every good race set-up
    • If you prefer a more relaxed set-up, it can be achieved easily by following standard set-up practices (as described in every relevant publication):
      • PHASE 1 - you don't even have to go in to the advanced set-up screen
        • Oh...look, there are front and rear ARBs!! Those never came on a Chevette road car, so I guess this car has been modded so it can handle like a race car instead of the turd original
        • Very simple two position (and off) roll bars--move the front one up to to stiff and disengage the rear one (move it to down to zero)
        • This may be enough for most people, but if not:
      • PHASE 2 - Advanced set-up
        • Lower toe-in at the front (default is -0.4, so go down one notch at a time, but even one step to -0.6 should be noticeable)
        • Raise rear tire pressures a couple of notches
      • PHASE 3 - if the above still isn't enough
        • Move brake bias a % or two rearward
        • Bump springs up a notch in front and down a notch in rear
    You can easily dial-in the car to suit anything from a mild to an extreme race set-up as long as you don't treat the throttle as an on-off switch. You need it to steer!

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

Your not condescending at all are you :p
    As I stated before I've driven race tuned Gemini with understeer tuned out but it never rotated like this car does! Yes it can be tuned out a bit but still even at relatively low speed this thing rotates unlike anything that has a rubber connection to the ground.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1