1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's up with Cascais performance?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by alink, Sep 4, 2020.

1. alink

alink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Hi,
    did a race at Cascais/ Estoril with multiclass of P1, P2, P3 and P4 cars, overall 30 cars on track.
    Conditions:
    random weather with factor 10x, time factor 15x, race start at 16.00 o'clock.

I had big performance issues with this track, stocking, stocking, stocking. sometimes a little bit better than as before stocking, stocking, stocking. I thought it could be because I always use random weather. So I decided to take clear weather and not changeable. But it didn't get better the same stocking as before.
    What's the problem with this track? Yesterday I did a race under same conditions in Ibarra and there wasn't such an issue (some lost of fps when weather changed).

In replay another strange thing: first, really bad performance. Low fps, maybe about 10 or less. If replay is stopped because of photo-mode there's the same fps issue! So this is not a 'dynamic' problem! But after a minute or so, fps performance is good and replay can be watched in one flow. But some time later the same issue occurs again. Really strange!

So, this is not a weather / cloud / lighting / number of cars / my PC problem, there must be any fundamental issue with this track.
    @Reiza, could you check and fix, please?

2. InfernalVortex

InfernalVortex Active Member

I dont have any problems at Cascais... I think the track that gives my computer the most issues is Kyalami.

3. F_B

F_B Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

To OP: it would help if you posted your pc specs and if you use single screen, triples or VR.
    Also in which situations or at which place of the track do the problems occur?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Micropitt

Micropitt Mediocre driver doing mediocre laps AMS2 Club Member

I never had issues at Cascais and I drive it a lot with P1 class cars. The only thing to look out for at Cascais is the low track temperature. ;)

5. Micropitt

What happens if you use real time instead of 15x accelerated time?

6. alink

Tried in free practice (no opponents) with no time factor and clear weather:
    It's smooth enough to drive quick and good, but not as good as on other tracks with time acceleration and weather changes. It's still stocking a little bit.

The issue occurs around the whole track. FPS is not really the problem because if it doesn't 'hang up' then it's very smooth. But there's not a single second where it runs without stocking. Maybe it stocks every 1/2 second.

PC sepc:
    AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six-Core @3,4 GHz
    RAM 16GB
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
    running on a 1TB HDD

But PC spec shouldn't be any problem other tracks are working fine

7. alink

Yes, Kyalami has it's problems, too, but not as high as at Cascais

8. alink

I don't know what the problem is!
    I just reinstalled AMS on a SSD.
    Of course, AMS is much faster now but the big performance issue in Cascais still remains!
    Under the same conditions, multi-class of P1..P4 and 30 cars, random weather, it's still stocking. Not so bad as before, but still this issue and it's hardly driveable.
    In replay it's stocking, too. And I've got a very very blurred image, from trackside and onboard cam, it's terrible!

I think there must be a fundamental problem with lighting or shadows at this track. Others are working fine and Cascais had fps problems since the first implementation in AMS.

9. alink

I'm currently running at Snetterton 300 with formula trainer novice and advanced. Overall 26 cars, random weather, time factor 10x, weather factor 10x.
    Within 30min there were waether changes from thunderstorm to clear, heavy rain, light rain, and and and.
    No fps or stocking issues! Maybe one short stocking when there is a dramatic weather change but I've got a smooth driving.
    So the Cascais issue isn't because of any wrong PC spec or graphic setting.

10. alink

And another test:
    At Kyalami, I set 'shadows' to OFF.
    In free practice, just one single car on track, fps is bad.
    With a full field of cars, a race and changing weather, the fps at Snetterton is about thousand miles better (with shadow setting on high)!

11. Micropitt

Maybe something is wrong with your video card? You can give your card a stress test with this little program: FurMark > Home

12. alink

I don't think so. Except Cascais and modern Kyalami all tracks running fine. And as I wrote above, with shadows turned OFF (shadows is a hugh fps killer) nothing better. So this isn't the problem. Also I did a complete reinstall, from a HDD to a SSD now.

13. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

Not only are shadows a performance killer they also just look plain horrible and I hope this is one area Reiza are yet to work on to improve.

14. alink

Running on a SSD is jusst a little bit better but not the big step.
    May I should change the settings, any suggestions, please??
    Thank you!
    Here are my current settings:
    settings1.jpg settings2.jpg
    Hardware as follows:
    AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six-Core @3,4 GHz
    RAM 16GB
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
    running on a 1TB HDD => now on a SSD

15. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

I have MSAA medium and both reflections to medium and everything else maxed and get solid 60 on all tracks during the day , night is a no go for both bad performance and the horrible shimmer that comes from the headlights on other cars .
    Try MSAA and reflections on medium and see how it goes . Oh , drop grass to off first and see if its that , i found on Suzuka the grass dropped FPS on the back straight leading to 130R .

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. alink

Thanks for advice.
    I'll give it a try these days.
    With night I don't have issues nor with headlights. Normaly with day progressive (day -> night time factor 10x) there aren't problems, or at least not so high as in Cascais / Kyalami during day (constant weather and time factor 1x).

17. pavig

pavig Member

Try setting textures to medium. The 1050 doesn't have a ton of memory and when that caps out textures get shuffled in and out of main ram causing heavy stutter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. U. Daniel

U. Daniel New Member

You have to expect problems setting everything to ultra with a 1050, try setting all your ultra settings to low and medium.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yikes... You have too many things setup at ultra, especially reflections and environment. Med or high is plenty for your computers with nearly no visual loss. Your graphics cards is simply not powerful enough. Turn off pit crew details, that sucks a lot of juice for no gain, especially when you pass the pits, the computer will start to suffer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. alink

Thank you guys for feedback.
    I'll try to lower settings and see what happens.
    I just wonder why most other tracks are working fine with these settings and a full field of cars except Kyalami and Cascais which are runninge terrible.
    Maybe I don't have a hyper fps rate at the other tracks but always good enough for good racing (even in Bathurst which is a big track with many objects and should cause a heavier load to graphics than other tracks).
    That's why I think Kyalami and Cascais could have a better performance, independent of my graphics settings!