1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ai | Artificial Intelligence

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Coanda, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Coanda

Coanda aahhh whinge whinge f@#ken whinge.. Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

With the recent work done on the Ai what are your thoughts..?

I am racing against the the Super V8 Ai at Goiania on 95% strength and 100% Aggression. I have a 3 slot weather setup going from overcast to light rain to heavy clouds.. The biggest issue I see in this scenario is the Ai will not try and pass their Ai opponents. They link up and form a train. When the light rain starts to come a few of them have odd behavior on the start/finish straight. They roll off the throttle and do about 200 kph, therefor you can pass a handful of them at once. In wheel to wheel battle they are ok, nothing too crazy going on. They will try and pass you which is good. Starting from last position I observe how they go on race start. 200-300 meters into the launch they start to slow due to a chain effect coming from the front so you can easily overtake a handful of them and then into T1 drivers on the outside completely turn in and side door the drivers on the inside line. Luckily they don't spin and cause a pile up. Over the race duration there is some good field spread with little groups forming however still no overtaking attempts. I am not saying there should be a lot of attempts or overtaking however a couple here and there would be nice to see.

I understand this is EA. Hopefully there is some more work in the future to come. It's good in many ways and holds a lot of potential to be even better.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Pacchia

Pacchia Member

I agree, I think the main thing I am still missing from the game is more wheel to wheel battles.

3. Coanda

• Reduced AI front buffer distances (AI is slightly less tentative when a pack of cars is ahead)
    • Reduced AI lifting off the throttle over puddles
    • Reduced wall check function (AI is less tentative when driving close to walls)
    • Reduced ranges for AI drivers inconsistency & performance loss from stamina over longer races
    • Adjust AI steer smoothing to improve pitlane mobility
    • Adjusted AI Grip multipliers for Velopark, Adelaide, Azure, Montreal, Londrina
    An improvement in the Ai from the above test at Goiania. I tried both the Super V8 and Stock Car V8. The launch procedure is cleaner and better managed by the Ai into T1. Still a little bit off however much improved. The lifting off the throttle down the start/finish straight is still there when it begins to drizzle. It's not consistent however it is there. There is more intent to overtake other Ai opponents however most of the time they back out of it just at the last moment or there is a little love tap in the rear quarter/bumper. I would like to complete some longer tests to see how they behave once the tyres are worn.

I don't underestimate the challenge of working on Ai. Well done and thank you..

• Like Like x 1
  4. Coanda

This was 2 laps into the light rain/drizzle. Normally you see this throttle roll off behavior about 20 seconds after you see the first spits of rain hitting your windscreen and around the start/finish line. For the rest of the lap the Ai was super quick on 100/100 with plenty of grip.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
  5. Coanda

First time driving this car. Ai set to 100% strength and 100% Aggression. You can overtake half the field within a handful of corners.. This can be repeated in other classes.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Coanda

Lately I have been racing against the P1-G58 at Bathurst and whilst using the default setup I noticed the Ai seem to have more low-mid range power than me.. For example through "The Chase" chicane I can brake more efficiently than them and can carry more minimum speed and whilst getting on the power earlier I close up however through gears 3-5 they just start pulling away.. I thought maybe it's due to drag/downforce however at the top end I easily catch them up on all straights.. Through this 150-250 Kph range they have more power. The same applies for getting out of Hell corner and going up Mountain straight..

Has anyone else noticed this..?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  7. Micropitt

Micropitt Mediocre driver doing mediocre laps AMS2 Club Member

Yes, AI always seems to be slower going in to a turn but then accelerating out of the turn like crazy. I tried many times to keep up with AI going out of the turn but it never happened. That applies pretty much to any turn on any track.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. lawgicau

lawgicau Active Member AMS2 Club Member

For me two things annoy me:
    1. I leave the AI on 100 but repeat races on this setting yield wildly varying ai pace. At Curitiba in the sprint race, some times the AI would qualify in the low 1:23s, and sometimes in the high 1:25s. Even if I'm in pole by a second and a half, in the race the AI will suddenly match me.
    2. If you have a spin it is very hard to fight your way back up, because the back markers seem to share the leaders' pace. Once the field spreads out they all lap a similar pace.

I actually find the AI good in terms of overtaking each other and making mistakes. One track where they don't seem to have a corner exit advantage is Kyalami historic. They are average and that allows some eipc drafting.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Coanda

1.0.1.2 - Further adjustments to AI behavior over first lap (ongoing development)

Some good improvements with the Ai in this build and I'm looking forward to the next build as it has been highlighted more changes will come..

however...

multi class continues to be an issue. Select the GTR Ultima & P1 with 100/60 settings and race at Bathurst to see what I mean.. 8/10 races end up in pile ups on the start finish line or mountain straight on lap 1 and vehicles regularly race all the way up the straight with two wheels on the grass..

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
  10. Pete Baldwin

Pete Baldwin Member

Personally, I'm impressed that Reiza have managed to accurately simulate a standard multiplayer session whilst racing against the AI! :D

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Micropitt

Micropitt Mediocre driver doing mediocre laps AMS2 Club Member

I had the same experience with multi class racing. I did multi class races (P1/P2/P3/P4) in Imola, Cascais, Interlagos and others and it always ended in mass pileups before T1. Oddly enough, this happens much less in single class.

• Informative Informative x 2
  12. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

When racing against players in MP, the T1 pileups are much more realistic.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Coanda

v1.0.2
    Some more feedback...

I re-tested the same test up to 10 times as seen in post # 9 for Bathurst. This time with 100/60 and 100/100 settings and for multi class GTR Ultima, P1 & P2 and single class GTR Ultima. Although a little better the Ai were still misbehaving. Trading a lot of paint, driving up mountain straight on the grass, taking out braking boards and causing pile ups..

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
  14. Dewald Nel

Dewald Nel New Member

1.0.2 was only released a few hours ago, are you sure that's correct?

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Coanda

v1.0.2

Testing 30 Ai FV10 G1 at 2001 Silverstone. Their start behavior from the right lane is a little unorthodox and I would not like to be in the middle of this pack..

Unlike the video example, with a good start you can drive down the inside of about 5-6 of them..

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. martin kilner

martin kilner New Member

Had fun in the F3 after the latest patch, Ai much better!...Ai at 90, Aggression at 94, they have a good sense of overall track position, wait to make a move, got punted a couple of times, but very pleased! :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Romeo Foxtrot

Romeo Foxtrot Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I raced at Silverstone 1975 last night in the F3s to relive my days in REVS on the BBC Micro back in 1984.

I had the AI at my usual 100% + 50% I qualified with 1:20.960 and their best was 1:21.942. The race was intense but the game froze after the race and I wasn't able to get the replay but I captured the result screen. My best in the race was 1:21.453 against their best of 1:20.966. I decided to lower the level for a second race to 95% as I felt I needed a rest. I qualified with 1:20.933 while their best was 1:22.115 but in the race they had laps of 1:20.285, 1:20. 361, 1:20.407 and 1:20.832. I won by about 0.6 seconds and I really enjoyed the race but I was too exhausted after it to do any more driving that day.

I enjoy P, Q and Races against the AI at 120%. It motivates me and because I know I'm not going to win there's no pressure. I get quicker more easily. Last night the racing at 95% was much more intense than at 100%. What is the AI level slider for if they don't follow it? NR2003 has an adaptive AI check box. If the AI here are using adaptive speed can I have a check box to turn it off?

The best starts I have in the F3s, from pole, get me in second place by the first corner. Very rarely am I still in first. Last night I managed third and fourth. Do they follow the reaction time of around a fifth of a second or is my longevity having too much of an effect on my reaction time (or is it my starting skill)? I'm still doing fine in GPL though Clark often gets the better of me for the first lap.

On the plus side, the AI were playing fair in the races and were fun to battle with - much better than in practise and qualifying where we were banging wheels a bit - not what I want in open wheelers - but nothing too distressing.

I'm really loving the game so far, I've clocked up 450 hours on Steam, but, boy, there's still so much to do. I haven't a clue to how name setup files, can't recognise them on my hard disk, there's not enough character to allow car, driver, track and date. I have to remember to change from Testing to Race setups when I've been experimenting....

18. Coanda

v.1.0.2.7 - Super V8 at Goiania at 100/100

As you can see there is still some start procedure isses to iron out.. I decided to hang back and observer on the opening lap. The Ai were zig zagging, driving on the grass, hitting cones and brake marker boards, slightly cutting corners and side dooring each other..

19. Great Ape

Great Ape Member

Overall I find the AI in this really good, but I'd like to see (or be able to edit into them) more errors; running the MCR at Velo Citta for the last few days, haven't seen a single mistake; aside from punting me.

Would be nice if the AI had the same struggles to get back to track from the grass that players do; the AI seems to have track grip on grass.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Roar McRipHelmet

Roar McRipHelmet Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I agree with you, Great Ape. Not just do I want the AI to make more errors, but that those errors actually lead to significant time loss. It seems like an error by the AI currently causes no more than 2 seconds time loss. Humans are more likely to lose 10 seconds. Much of it might have to do with what you mention in your last paragraph: The AI having supernatural ability to recover if they get on the grass.

If I do a 30 minute race against humans on a track with 90 second lap time, I would expect at least one person to get lapped during that time. The same should be valid when racing against the AI. I'm not necessarily wishing for larger spread in lap time (although that would be nice too), but rather wishing for the AI to form their own groups spread around the track because of racing incidents.

The major reason why I want this is because the AI skill should reflect their valid lap time, so that I can match their speed to my valid lap time. If the AI never makes errors that have consequences, racing against them in a single player race and having an accident basically means you'll be last for the rest of the race, unless you restart, or you compensate by lowering AI skill. Restarting feels like cheating, and while it is a little fun to overtake slower AI, it also feels more like a game and less like a simulation.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 3