1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's up with Cascais performance?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by alink, Sep 4, 2020.

1. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It's usually tied to the modelling techniques used to create the 3D assets. Sometimes, they are high resolution (high polygon count) or large texture file that have not been optimized for the start/finish/pit areas. It's a very easy mistake to make when using Maya or Max if they don't have asset validation scripts.

2. Fizzy

Fizzy Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

This might be the right thread to ask, as there seems to be some knowledgeable folks in here (sorry for the slight highjack):

How is AMS2 for vram usage? VRAM seems to be a hot topic with regard to the new Nvidia cards. I’m running triple 1080p / 60hz monitors, and when I checked on Afterburner, vram usage seemed quite low (around 4gb I think) -running medium settings. Is that right? Is the 10gb limit going to be an issue for AMS2 even if I push settings up higher?

thanks!

3. alink

alink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Now I set all settings to 'high'.
    At Kyalami the performance is much better now and it seems that quality doesn't really suffer.
    But what about these settings:
    Unbenannt.JPG
    What to use or what is recommended?

4. alink

For Cascais and Kyalami that means, for buildings LOD models are missing?

5. VFX Pro

Anisotropic can be cranked up to the max... it's usually a low FPS impact and helps with road surface textures that are further away from the camera.

Use MSAA and don't use Post AA.
    Don't user super sampling, leave it off.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. VFX Pro

Correct, the LOD models could not be present or misconfigured or not optimized at the moment, a simple oversight. Keep in mind, when you read the roadmap and posting from developers in this forum (highly recommend you click to "follow them") they talk about continuous improvement and optimization of tracks.

7. DaWorstPlaya

DaWorstPlaya Active Member

I would set Anisotropic to x8 and use MSAA on Low vs PostAA as VFX Pro suggested.
    Additionally you probably want to drop Reflections to Low, Shadows to Low, Environment to Medium and Track to Medium. A lot of your settings are too high for a GTX1050 which is probably why you are getting the stuttering, IMHO.

• Like Like x 1
  8. alink

Did a race at Interlagos 1976 with Vintage G2, full field of 30 cars with 10x weather and 10x time change.
    I let everything on high, MSAA on low, PostAA OFF, SuperSampling OFF, Anisotropic on 8x, V-Sync OFF.
    Good performance, no issue with weather changes (hazy->rain->fog).

Which advantages will it have when setting to med or low?

OK, the load of the graphic will be less but I had a good and smooth fps-rate

9. DaWorstPlaya

DaWorstPlaya Active Member

Setting some of the models to Medium/Low reduces the complexity of those models and frees up GPU Ram and resources so the game runs smoother in every condition. I bet if you lower it, you probably won't even notice the difference but the game will run smoother in all circumstances.

But do what works best for you.

10. VFX Pro

TIP: If you are in VR... you must do everything possible to lower your settings until you get a truly stable FPS above 90 (or 11ms) to drastically avoid some motion sickness.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. alink

Thanks for tips,
    but I don't have VR.
    Is there a possibility to measure fps rate?

12. VFX Pro

The easiest one is already in Steam (search online to know how to turn it on).

13. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Later has long since begun. AMS2 Club Member

Use Afterburner. Nice application.
    Afterburner

14. Kiryu

Kiryu Member

With Afterburner you could also check if your issues are gpu or cpu related.

Monitor and log your gpu-usage while driving the tracks that cause problems, disable v-sync and if your gpu is not running at (nearly) 100%, chances are that you are cpu bound.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  15. alink

I'm wondering what the settings really effect?
    Now, with lowered Tex Resolution to med the performance gets better and better without any loose of quality?? Strange!

But OK, if the winter gets cold, I go back to ultra settings to have a warm heated room :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Kiryu

Kiryu Member

That's the thing with settings, the perceived quality does not always scale with the performance impact.

17. ilka

ilka Moderator

I highly recommend using MSAA rather than SMAA. Not much noticeable difference in image, but way better fps. Even more, we developed our grass & tree shaders with alpha2coverage that can work only in MSAA, that gives transparent objects way smoother appearance. They work in other AA modes of course too, but the alpha-to-coverage works only with MSAA.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
    • Like Like x 1