1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Karsten Hvidberg, May 30, 2020.

1. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Later has long since begun. AMS2 Club Member

Which is recommended for my Fanatec CSW v2,5. I see a lowend wheel file and a DD variant. In former versions I had to choose the DD/high end file. But is this changed with the latest silver raw file? I recal the naming of the DD folder was different, something like “highend wheelbase and DD.”
    I now only see a DD folder and LowEndWheel folder.

2. Michael Enright

Michael Enright Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

There are 3 Folders in the latest .zip file. DDWheelBases, HighEndWheelBases and LowerEndWheelBases. I use the file in the HighEndWheelBases Folder, and tweak it a bit to suit what I like.

3. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Later has long since begun. AMS2 Club Member

That is strange,
    I downloaded the latest silver raw version but after extracting it contains 2 folders. :eek:
    Will take a look in the zip file to see if there went something wrong with extracting.
    But yeah that is what I meant. DD, HighEnd and LowEnd. I only see the DD and LowEnd folder. No sign of the HighEnd folder.

EDIT: Found the problem. 7Zip did not extracted the HighEnd Folder. Extracted again and now I have 3 folders indeed. :D

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  4. tUMi

tUMi Active Member

Thank you! To be honest with you I wasn't really expecting to achieve a WR time when I started my time trial session with the Ultima GTR Race on Brands Hatch GP. At first I had to spend some time to get used to the car on that track and in the beginning it felt quite challenging to score good enough lap time to even get to the top10 list in the leaderboards. I gradually got myself dialed in to the car and managed to score the 5th place in the leaderboards with a lap time of 1:21.282.

Few hours later with some good practise I managed to improve my lap time even further and clocked 1:21.000 which was good enough to score the 3rd place in the leaderboards. After this I started to think: "Why not go for a WR next?" :)

My WR lap was actually quite interesting: on my lap I was behind the previous WR lap holder on sectors 1 & 2 but I was flying on sector 3 and eventually on the finish line I beat the previous WR lap holder by only 0.002 seconds. What a great feeling that was! :)

I'd suggest you to give it a go yourself, this car is real blast to drive on Brands and the latest Silver Raw file really suits to this car. It will be interesting to see how close can you get to my lap time. :)

5. Slapshot82

Slapshot82 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

The best way is the try them both and see what suites your wheel best. ;) With that said, just from what I've gathered from feedback and comments this is what I would recommend per wheel base:
    • DD: "DD" or "high end"
    • Fanatec: "high end" (not sure if the CSW is an exception and benefits from the "low end" file???)
    • Thrustmaster: T300 RS GT and T300 TX or below use "low end"; TS-PC Racer and up use "high end"
    • Logitech: "low end"

@tUMi Man, I did catch that you beat the WR by 0.002 seconds! That had to be an adrenaline rush, for sure! I've got my Vive up and running again after swapping my OS over to a NVME drive, I ran some TT laps there yesterday in VR and that didn't go so well. I'm going to swap over to my usual flat screen today and see if I can put down a better time.

For me, I've run the short track layout so much in iRacing that I'm quick on the first two sectors and stay in front of the 10th ghost on the Leader board. I start losing time at Hawthorns and Westfield, and kept dropping my rear left off the track right as I let off the brakes at the turn-in to Sheene Curve, which would blow my lap. It's been years since I've had a proper competitive race on this track layout and dialed it in, so it's a mission to do so again now! :D

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Slapshot82

@tUMi I went back to my to my 32" monitor and was able to improve my time quite a bit - I'm still a 0.5 second off of your time though. There's time to be gained for sure, I just have to build more consistency with this track layout. I was approx. ~0.2 off your WR time going into Sheen Curve on one fast lap and went very high risk to try and get ahead of you there. I went in just a bit too deep and had to lift when when car pushed wide and my left side tires pushed onto the grass. Had I not done that I think it's likely I could have taken the 5th place spot, but yeah, blew that one. :oops:

Brands GP WR Attempt_01.png

If anyone is interested, I dialed in the Silver Raw v6.6.5.9.9.9.9 file for the Ultima GTR for the T300 RS. All TM driver settings are default and in-game settings are 70/35/50.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  7. tUMi

tUMi Active Member

@Slapshot82 That's a very decent lap time you got there. If you keep practising more, I think you have a good chance to beat my WR. Nicely done, mate, you are close already. :)

I still have some room left for improvements to my WR lap time. I have already managed to do a few tenths quicker sector times on sectors 1 & 3, but haven't managed yet to complete my lap successfully with those sector time improvements. I will try to improve my WR lap time in the near future. :)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  8. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

The camaro and to some extent the ultima gtr are a pain in the backside to drive, for me and some other people i hear on the forum
    I will try your custom ffb to see if it makes any difference

9. Slapshot82

You gain on me in Turn 1 every lap - I just can't get the car to carry the speed your taking into the corner there, even with a more aggressive car setup. I can consistently gain on your time up to Stirlings and Clearways. You're getting the car rotated through these corners very quickly and leave me behind - it's a super fast lap! Great job!!! :cool:

I did get a little bit closer....
    Brands GP WR Attempt_02.png

@Nolive721 I think you are possibly mistaking the Ultima GTR for the road car edition of the Ultima, which is in the same class as the Camero SS. With those cars, try increasing the negative rear toe to reduce the oversteer and you should find they are much better to drive. I've set a few world record times in that edition of the Ultima (if they still stand). ;)

• Like Like x 1
  10. tUMi

tUMi Active Member

Nice improvement on your lap time. ;) I think I will need to try to improve my WR lap time soon, hopefully during this week, you just gave me some inspiration for that... :)

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Donato

Donato Member

@Slapshot82 "high end" is a really good job, congratulations! I just want to ask you one thing: is it possible to eliminate the straight effects that the FFB produces? I would like it smoother, is there a parameter to change?
    thank you

12. Slapshot82

I've not helped with the "high end" file -- all credit goes to @Karsten Hvidberg, @F.Santos @Shadak & @tUMi there (and anyone else I may have missed!). Of course, the "low end" file is absolutely what it is because of them too!

I usually adjust this in-game by reducing the "LFB" setting, but that isn't always the best method. You can also apply smoothing to the harshness of the effects individually by adjusting the (bumps_lfb_harshness) & (details_lfb_harshness) too. The lower the number, the more smoothing is applied -- try dropping it to 0.3 first, and then adjust from there if needed. This will take the edge off of the effect(s) overall, but it's most noticeable to me on the straights.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Donato

Donato Member

thanks, i will try as you say.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Slapshot82

If that doesn't work to your liking, if you'll provide some feedback as to exactly what changed and didn't work, I'll see if there is something else we can do. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Donato

Donato Member

tried to set 0.3 as you said and it looks better, but there are still too many fx, especially when you steer left and right (for example warming the tires) there is a slight clipping, the steering wheel does not feel smooth. the road surface is also very present as fx, I would like to eliminate the too much information that the steering wheel produces.
    thank you for your interest.

• Like Like x 1
  16. inthebagbud

inthebagbud Member AMS2 Club Member

using the silver raw version 6659999 with a DD2 can anybody suggest what setting in the file would tighten up the centre of the wheel .
    It doesn't feel solid and on the straights, it feels loose as if it is wandering - if that's the right way of saying it .

17. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I have just returned to the default ffb after being on heavy Messing for a few months. Found it was giving me some unusual behaviour such as some kind of slipping on my wheel when I quickly rotated the wheel left and right and some very heavy vibrations when braking hard in some cars.
    I would imagine I could have dialled it out with some changes to the file but I would not have known where to start.
    The default seems to have improved to what it used to be.

18. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

I find the default-ffb improved now when combined with reduced filtering in the wheel driver. I think Reiza have found a very good overall profile to suit a wide range of players and hardware.

• Agree Agree x 4
  19. Richard Romano

Richard Romano New Member

Sorry to ask but where are the latest custom files And settings please?

20. sherpa25

sherpa25 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Should be in posts 2 and 3, depending on which custom file you want (while instructions in 1, I believe).