1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gamepad Support - Analysis, Suggestions, Wishes

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by GTAce, Sep 2, 2020.

1. Beccobunsen

Beccobunsen Well-Known Member

Yes, all the motion is concentrate in the first 10 mm.., everytime is relearn the muscular memory again.
    In rf2 there is max and min regulation for the axe..

Is zig zag "Automan" replay style.

Seriusly, we need a demoltiplacion setting

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. GTAce

GTAce New Member

Thanks for all the posts! Hope Reiza is actually looking into it though.

3. Berno

Berno Member AMS2 Club Member

Yes zig zag is right. At high speed there is no way to smoothly turn in you take multiple stabs that are too fast and unsettle the car!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Berno

I'm sure they are flat out finishing the game plus all the DLC content coming.
    But this is a very important aspect.
    @Renato Simioni Can we get some confirmation this may be looked at or will the gamepad stay as it is?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Beccobunsen

Also the mouse support in AMS2 is no no. For example the Live For Speed mouse implementation is perfect, i dont now how they archieved that....

But still, NOWEPE FOR EVER! (no wheel people) ...
    at least until price speculation ceases

6. GTAce

GTAce New Member

Does anyone know if this is at least something Reiza looks into?

7. Paul_73

Paul_73 Member AMS2 Club Member

The excellent Steam controller configurator allows you to adjust various settings separate from in-game settings. You can access it in-game by pressing shift+tab and click "controller configuration" in the upper right.

Among other things, you can get the deadzone exactly how you want regardless of the limitations of any particular game. The deadzone, anti-deadzone, and anti-deadzone buffer settings work great. You can adjust stick sensitivity curves, too. You can make any button on the controller do whatever you want, even if a game doesn't "allow" it. Maybe give it a little experimentation to see what you think.

• Like Like x 1
  8. John Hargreaves

John Hargreaves Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

This might raise an eyebrow or two, but in my opinion, the gamepad implementation in Project CARS 3 is excellent. I'm not sure if it will be possible to sprinkle any of this magic on AMS2, but honestly, PC3 gamepad driving is really satisfying.
    I'm fully aware that PC3 has some, ahem, 'issues' in the rest of the game, but this one aspect is very well done.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Fabio Rodrigues

Fabio Rodrigues New Member AMS2 Club Member

This helped me quite a lot - just lowering LS sensitivity seems to have made a big difference and steering feels more natural, less digital. Still, I'd prefer if Reiza analysed these issues - it's the first time I've had to fiddle with the Steam configurator.

10. Beccobunsen

What? where? when? how?;)

10 minutes later...
    aaa I see....it's a meeeeess
    But anyone can export a proper configuraciĆ³n for AMS2 ?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
  11. Berno

Yes have to give you kudos for that I had absolutely no idea about this being added to Steam!
    I could 'almost' get it there with a combination of the Steam controller settings and AMS2 settings. !!BUT!!
    1. A lot a values to tweak.
    2. Tedious having to get out of AMS2 into the Configuration (sometimes AMS2 preview becomes tiny and can't alt tab back to it)
    3. Having Steam Controller setup destroys my config for all other games because the device ID changes so another tedious step of disabling it for all other games.
    4. Although the improvement was massive I still couldn't find a configuration that worked for all corners unlike all non madness sims that can do this out of the box without third party tool stuffing around.

Unfortunately the song remains the same. Driving with gamepad is sketchy as all hell in this sim!

12. Berno

Hours of tweaking has given me these settings.
    Still too sensitive in many corners but this is the trade off to have enough lock for hairpins.
    1.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.jpg
    At least I can race with this setup.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Beccobunsen

this is not a message....

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
  14. leon_90

leon_90 Member AMS2 Club Member

I must concur that gamepad driving in this title is still an awful experience, for the reasons listed by the OP and some other contributors to this thread. A fix seems to be possible, looking at how PCars 3 actually has way better gamepad support than its previous iterations. Hopefully Reiza will finally address this. In the meantime, to whomever finds this thread looking for a solution to the sketchy driving, there is none. Better spend your time driving something else entirely (OP provided a good list of alternatives).

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. sampopel

sampopel Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Agreed, playing AMS2 with gamepad is still very poor. The difference between AMS2 and AMS1 with gamepad is stark. AMS2 is so choppy, overly sensitive to the slightest of movements in your gamepad steering and the way this makes the cars wobble around makes it feel like you're driving a jelly.

Thankfully, AMS1 is still a superb experience so I still play it extensively, only trying AMS2 after each update, in the diminishing hope that the gamepad experience is greatly improved.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Beccobunsen

I'm trying with the steeing lock setting, but no, every mm of moviment is like see a cow in the midle of the street..

17. GTAce

GTAce New Member

Any word from Reiza regarding this?

18. BeGee

BeGee New Member

A pretty avid controller user here (xbox one), and am glad you guys brought up many of the same experiences I've had when comparing AMS2's odd controller behaviour to the other sims I play.

Spent months so far trying to dial in the control settings but it's never been quite right yet. I'm obsessive about getting similar controller 'feel' across AC, Dirt rally 2.0, R3E, GP4 and RF2. --RF2 (defaults) and AC (a custom setting) are my benchmarks, both very playable, very 'free' and controllable.

In AMS2 I've been trying 50% sensitivity and low dampening, Usually setting something near linear gets me the response I like, but in the madness engine there seems to be a remaining filter on top of the inputs? And the second part is that the physics seems to be more sensitive to steering input in general, relative to the other sims, or it could be that the wheel animation is inaccurate? So when I use the visual wheel as an indicator of turn in, I gotta remember in AMS2 there's a lot less turn-in than I'm used to seeing elsewhere.

Anyways here's where my settings have landed recently. Now, I have no reason why 75% sensitivity works for me (in AC I have 2.5 gamma, and RF2 it's 25%). It just feels familiar and I can end up catching slides easier without the overcorrection issue.

CONFIGURATION.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  19. GTAce

GTAce New Member

These settings make it a little more playable, thanks.
    Still... I really hope we'll get something better soon. :oops:

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. ATSS

ATSS Member

Yup PC3 is easily the best game i ever played with a controller.. and i pretty much played every racing game/sim since 2010. rF-rF2, PC-PC2, AC, ACC, R3E, AMS, Dirt, GRID, F1 games etc etc.

I played like 100 hours with AMS 2 since release but sometimes it's just frustrating. Whatever i tweak the steering is too twitchy and slow corners become a nightmare with the understeer. Sometimes it's really bad. You can't even properly turn in. Already tried to tweak the car setups especially the steering lock.. it kinda helps but not perfect at all. The game is amazing and unique in it's own way but sadly i rarely play it nowadays. Needs better controller support.

• Agree Agree x 2