1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMS2 Formula Classic Gen 3 Championship

Discussion in 'Fan Sites & Community Events' started by Prophet, Aug 12, 2020.

1. InfernalVortex

InfernalVortex Active Member

You should add the start date to the original post. Are we still doing the test/exhibition race tomorrow?

2. bmerrell

bmerrell Member

I will probably participate going forward.

3. InfernalVortex

From the discord:

Driver's Standings(After 1st Round):

1. Brandon Merrell 10 Points
    2. Gerald Filmore 8 Points
    3. Leynad Jee 6 Points
    4. InfernalVortex 4 Points
    5. eSTee3 2 Points
    6. Fabiano Azevedo 1 Point

4. Koala63

Koala63 Member

Hi there. World's slowest Koala reporting in. For those of you not interested in the rambling thoughts of a 57 year old noob racer with a learner's plate hanging off the arse of his car, please skip this post.

This Classic League is my first go at online racing. The learning curve for me is as steep as it is addictive. I'm having a blast and each weekly race is a fresh pile of lessons learned the hard way.

This week's Brands was a traumatic school day for me. Practice was successfully completing 3 x 20 lap 96/60 AI races in the top 5 and getting top 10 for the TT (3rd for the car) and I was optimistic as I took P8 in the grid of 17 starters... so after getting wrecked again in turn one from behind, I am please to say I think that I've finally realised that with no peripheral vision, ANY lateral deviation from my line at the start of an online race is just asking for trouble. Perhaps at Kansai I'll finally get away cleanly.

I was thrilled as I slowly worked my was up to P10 without significant oopsies. As I went in to the last turn of lap 14, I was eyeing P9, mentally celebrating and wondering if there was perhaps a point for top 10. As I joyfully stomped the throttle and power oversteered toward the pit lane entry, it dawned on me that lesson two for the day would be... He who lets his mind wander thinking of glorious finishes before seeing the checkered is indeed doomed.

I did want to say,

1. Thanks so much to those who organised this Classic League. I'm having a blast and learning heaps.
    2. Sincerest apologies to anyone who I accidentally stuff up on track. I'm trying hard to race clean and hate nothing more than losing my sh!t and taking out anyone else.
    3. If anyone has any constructive pointers for me, or sees me doing anything dumb. Feel free to let me know. I've got a thick skin and I want to get at least half good at this eventually.
    4. Special thanks to the Infernal Vortex for patiently answering stupid questions.

Cheers and congratulations to this week winners. Very impressive to watch on the replay.

Have a great week.

5. InfernalVortex

I'm having such a blast with this. Looks like @bmerrell is undefeated so far!

6. Ref 35

Ref 35 L U H G

Thanks for doing these races, I love these classic f1's.
    I didn't see this thread until you had already started the championship and the discord link had expired but it was great to see you could still join the race as a guest so I did the Brands Hatch race, great stuff, the race didn't last very long for me but never mind, Brandon was very good and so were a few others too, proper practice for these races is certainly needed.
    Is it too late to join the championship proper ?

cheers

7. bmerrell

bmerrell Member

Hi Ref 35. Yes, we are still welcoming participants! I can't figure out how to message people privately on this forum, but I'll see if someone else can send you the current discord link. (And if you don't hear anything, we will continue to host races at the same time each week.)

8. InfernalVortex

Hope everyone is ready for the race today.

OP has been busy, but @bmerrell tallied up unofficial points as of Round 2:

1. Brandon Merrell 20 Points @bmerrell
    2. Gerald Filmore 14 Points @Prophet
    3. InfernalVortex 10 Points @InfernalVortex
    4. Leynad Jee 6 Points @Leynad
    5. W. Carr 4 points
    6. eSTee3 2 Points @eSTee3
    6. matt.f.beavis 2 Points @Matt Beavis
    8. Fabiano Azevedo 1 Point
    8. ramsaysg 1 point

Remember, we drop the two lowest races, so when we get to the end it may close up, and for anyone who hasnt participated, you can still compete since you've only missed two races.

Someone beat @bmerrell !
    Hope to see you guys at Kansai!

9. bmerrell

bmerrell Member

Round 1 (Imola 1988):

ss211249.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  10. bmerrell

bmerrell Member

Round 2 (Brands Hatch):

ss210634.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  11. InfernalVortex

Photos from Brands Hatch.

First one is the finish with the podium all in the same shot after 17 laps, thought that was pretty cool!
    ss211051.jpg

This is me sideways in front of Gashina ( @Prophet ) on lap 3 or 4 after botching a block downshift into druids and nearly binning it:
    ss205927.jpg

And Lap 1 into Surtees:
    ss162238.jpg

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  12. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

Glad to see you guys having some online fun.
    Ive been off for a while, but am back so may fire up later for late night session

13. InfernalVortex

After 3 rounds, we had another great race.

Brandon Merrell started from pole, and ref 35 was in hot pursuit.
    ss111026.jpg

I started 3rd but had a terrible start and got caught up in mid-field drama and was a non-issue the rest of the race. Still had a blast! @Marius H in front, chasing down the leaders.
    ss105920.jpg

On Lap 2, @bmerrell made an uncharacteristic mistake, and went wide at T2. @Ref 35 made the lunge and made it stick!
    ss111243.jpg

After a hard fought race between the two of them, @bmerrell made one last lap charge, after setting fastest lap of the race on the penultimate lap, he closed in on leader going under the bridge. He tried making one last run to try and set himself up for a pass.
    ss110003.jpg

It just wasnt quite enough to make a run up into the hairpin, and he went wide.
    ss105900.jpg

@Ref 35 has won Round 3, ending @bmerrell's 2 round winning streak, but Brandon definitely wasn't far behind!
    ss105145.jpg

Current unofficial points standings after 3/7 rounds:

1. Brandon Merrell 28 Points @bmerrell
    2. InfernalVortex 16 Points @InfernalVortex
    3. Gerald Filmore 14 Points @Prophet
    4. ref 35 10 points @Ref 35
    5. Leynad Jee 6 Points @Leynad
    6. W. Carr 4 points
    7. Marius 4 points @Marius H
    8. eSTee3 2 Points @eSTee3
    9. matt.f.beavis 2 Points @Matt Beavis
    10. Atmosphere 2 points
    11. Fabiano Azevedo 1 Point
    12. ramsaysg 1 point @ramsay
    13. ursus 1 point

Remember, two lowest finishes will be dropped! @Prophet missed this round, and this is only @Ref 35's second round, so these points tallies will change dramatically through round 6 and 7.

Note there is historical precedent for this. From 1981-1990 only the best 11 finishes were counted towards the Driver's championship. :)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  14. bmerrell

bmerrell Member

Love the pictures and the write-up! And congrats to ref 35 for a stellar performance.

Also, in the covid era it seems odd to see spectators in the stands, even if they're digital!

• Like Like x 1
  15. InfernalVortex

South African Grand Prix has concluded and is in the books now! 4 Rounds of 7 complete!

In the pre-race driver's meeting it was determined that the grid spacing at Kyalami was absolutely unsafe, but the race proceeded anyway. We knew that it would be a traffic jam into T1 and we weren't disappointed.

ss084104.jpg

However, for the most part, everyone got through T1 pretty cleanly, and the good, clean racing commenced. Going into T1, InfernalVortex is ahead of bmerrell, and bmerrell is ahead of ref 35. As you may guess, since T1 is a left hander, that order nearly reversed.

ss085031.jpg

@Ref 35 started laying down some blistering laps and soon he pulled out a convincing lead. bmerrell is in 2nd, and InfernalVortex in 3rd.

ss085252.jpg
    The race probably would have ended in this order if it werent for some lap traffic having some kind of technical issue in the apex of barbecue bend halfway through the race. ref 35 saw them too late and spun trying to avoid.

ss145334.jpg

bmerrell in second capitalized and made a run around the inside on the straight headed into Sunset.
    ss145518.jpg

It seems ref 35's jet lag had gotten to him, and he wasnt quite able to regain his composure. New running order was bmerrell, ref 35, InfernalVortex, with everyone tightly bunched.

ss145634.jpg
    Take a moment to appreciate Castle Kyalami in the background of Leeukop here. This is Kyalami's Scientology stronghold.

Ref 35, while trying to mount a charge to get back around bmerrell, made a mistake at Clubhouse corner and went wide, giving InfernalVortex a chance to ride on past.

ss145905.jpg
    ref 35 has fastest lap of the race at this point, and was poised to charge back up through the field, but made another mistake trying to chase down InfernalVortex to get back into P2. Just barely lost traction coming out of Leeukop and probably didnt want to lose any time by lifting. It just barely, slowly got away from him as the car started coming down the hill. Ref 35 later commented that he had tire wear issues, and was never able to match his lap times from earlier in the race, but a cursory post-race analysis shows he was on pace and gaining on the leaders until the end. My theory is that the thetans were fleeing from the Scientology HQ and affected Ref 35's race.

ss150638.jpg

Then it was a matter of InfernalVortex chasing down bmerrell. From a distance of as much as 6 seconds prior to the broken down car on the apex of barbecue corner, the gap was 3 seconds at this point, and was closed up to 1.5s, when it was InfernalVortex's turn to make a pivotal mistake. On the last corner of the penultimate lap, at the closest gap since lap 1, the aggression was too much, leading to a spin:

ss152157.jpg

From here bmerrell cruised to victory over one final lap.

Fastest lap of the race went to ref 35 with a 1m25.000! Thats a smokin fast lap! On lap 8 of 17, so a lot of fuel still on board for that one!

Final finishing order:

1. @bmerrell
    2. @InfernalVortex
    3. @Ref 35
    4. @Prophet
    5. @Koala63
    6. ursus [ DSQ ]
    7. trys

Ursus has been disqualified for unsportsmanlike driving due to multiple L1 incidents this race.

New Points total after 4/7 Grand Prix!

1. Brandon Merrell 38 Points @bmerrell
    2. InfernalVortex 24 Points @InfernalVortex
    3. Gerald Filmore 18 Points @Prophet
    4. ref 35 16 points @Ref 35
    5. Leynad Jee 6 Points @Leynad
    6. W. Carr 4 points
    7. Marius 4 points @Marius H
    8. eSTee3 2 Points @eSTee3
    9. matt.f.beavis 2 Points @Matt Beavis
    10. Atmosphere 2 points
    11. Koala63 2 points
    12. Fabiano Azevedo 1 Point
    13. ramsaysg 1 point @ramsay
    14. trys 1 point

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  16. Ref 35

Ref 35 L U H G

A key race in the championship, it would take a brave man to bet against Brandon now.

17. kodnin

kodnin Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Is this race today? And can I still join?

18. InfernalVortex

Opening practice session is today 630 PM US eastern standard time. I think this is 1030 GMT but I get confused about daylight savings time.

There will be a public lobby for practice. Qualifying and race will be password protected on the same session.

Practice: 45 mins
    Lobby: Champions F1 Practice

Qualifying and Race
    Lobby: Champions F1 Race
    PASSWORD: senna

Hope to see you guys there!

19. bmerrell

bmerrell Member

20. InfernalVortex

Staandings after Spanish Grand Prix at Jerez, Round 5:

1. Brandon Merrell 48 Points @bmerrell