1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The 3 biggest graphic settings impacting performance?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by CreamyCornCob, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Gordie

Gordie Active Member

I believe this has actually gotten worse after the last couple of updates. I'm now dropping 40-50 FPS when set to overcast on tracks that I didn't notice a difference before.
    Also the few tracks that received dynamic lighting updates now have similar drops at night, such as Kansai.
    Hopefully there will be some optimization at some point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

Different AA work in different ways. There is so much online to help you understand the difference.
    MSAA is my choice in AMS 2, it's heavier but also more effective at removing jaggies.

3. mist3rf0ur

mist3rf0ur Member

I would like to jump in and say Helmet Cam View crushes VR performance. It's the view I want to use the most but can't because it makes the game drop frames and a stuttery mess. It sounds like there is a different audio mix. I hope they can fix this. I love the look but I can't play in this view at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. F2020

F2020 Member

I actually play this locked at 45fps via Tray Tool, so can play with Helmet Cam and its helps the jarring from 90 to 45 all the time.

My eyes soon get used to the 45fps (with asw engaged) and its fine.

5. alink

alink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

good to know that I'm not the only one, so my hope is that it will be optimized any time.
    Therefor it would be a waste of time if I try to optimize settings on my system just for getting better fps when overcast

6. alink

alink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

hi,
    get good experience with following setting
    Did a race with changing weather in Adelaide with V8 and 30 opponents. Never had so good fps when weather changed from rain to fog to sun to cloud. The stuttering, especially when cloudy, was nearly, not completely, eliminated

Attached Files:

7. mister dog

mister dog Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Any leads on that issue? Overcast weather eats about 20fps. Curious to hear what causes it as it was the same in PC2.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Coanda

Coanda aahhh whinge whinge f@#ken whinge.. Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Does AMS2 support MFAA..?

9. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The large amount of shadows casted on the ground by the clouds and the diffused shadows that needs to be calculated vs a sharp sun being a single source of light would be my guess.

10. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Remove the depth of field from the helmet cam, might help... since it's very taxing.

11. Bull Shark

Bull Shark "Later has already begun." AMS2 Club Member

I really don’t know. Perhaps the developers can enlighten us. I never change the wheater to overcast because of the frame drops..:(

12. Coanda

Does anyone exactly what levels of SS are applied between these two options..? I also assume they are functional like they were in PC2.

<prop name="SuperSampling" supersampling="1" />
    <prop name="LowSuperSampling" lowsupersampling="0" />

13. Coanda

Are these for screen, VR or both..?

<prop name="SharpeningStrength" sharpeningstrength="0.500000" />
    <prop name="SharpeningClamp" sharpeningclamp="0.090000" />
    <prop name="OffsetBias" offsetbias="1.000000" />

14. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Makes me wonder.
    I have MSAA-off and POST AA on SMAA High. That gives me a better picture then MSAA does, but lays a heavy load on my Graphics-card.
    It seems the opposite of what you are using?

15. 2ndLastJedi

Thats so weird ! Any of the other than MSAA options looks bad and even did when i used to play at 4k in pC2 , only MSAA works at smoothing out the jaggies on fences and most of what is on cars other than at night and for shadows. I guess if i could max out the SS it looks maybe better but certainly not the FXAA/SMAA options, my PC can run SMAA Ultra but that looks poor compared to MSAA at medium even .
    I did retest the AA options after someone said they used SMAA ultra and SS high in combination with each other but it looked worse and performed badly!
    Weird how we see things different and i really hope for something better as was hinted by @Heitor Facuri Cicoti early on in the Anti aliasing thread ! Post #32 for reference ;)

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. 2ndLastJedi

If environment map is for reflections on pint, puddles, windows etc what is the other reflection for?

17. Bull Shark

Bull Shark "Later has already begun." AMS2 Club Member

I don’t know when they use which reflection methode. But as said, environment mapping is for faking reflections. Commonly used in 3D applications. (I know because I was a 3D artist for more than 17 years:D)
    Real-time reflection are very processor intensive. For stills(image) that is mostly not a problem of course. When animating that becomes a whole different story. Then there will be environment mapping used. Especially in objects not in front of the camera or at greater distance.
    If they apply a material to an 3D object it consist of multiple channels. Eg, diffuse,colour, reflection, environment etc. You can set the reflection channel to reflect the surrounding world real-time or fake it by using an environment channel.
    So I really can’t tell what is used on which object. The developer can tell you all about it. But My guess, reflections which are close to the cam are real reflections, reflection in distance objects are environment channels. I could be wrong of course. The 3D software has much evolved since I last used it. Perhaps there is a total other technique these days.:D

• Like Like x 3