1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMS2 1970's F1 event, open to all!

Discussion in 'Fan Sites & Community Events' started by LewisBloom, Sep 29, 2020.

1. LewisBloom

LewisBloom Member

Hello everyone,

The Pit Crew community are testing the waters with AMS2 running a one off event open to everyone, all skill levels welcome, the only rule is to race clean.

Should be a great race, I'm sure the discord comms will be filled with good chat and laughter as we get to grips with the 1970's F1 Beasts around classic 70's Hockenheim!

Full Details here;
    October 18th 2020 - Formula 70's - Automobilista 2 Event | ThePitCrew

Pitcrew Discord for the community here;
    Join the The Pit Crew Discord Server!

Hopefully its of interest to a few here on the official forums and we get a good turn out. See you all on the track!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  2. TFrag

TFrag ThePitCrew.co.uk AMS2 Club Member

Can't wait to commentate on this, it's going to be interesting to see some historic throwback racing to a period that happened before I was even born!

• Like Like x 1
  3. LewisBloom

LewisBloom Member

Hope we get some good numbers for this one. AMS2 is a real hidden gem for Simracing, it needs more limelight lol

4. InfernalVortex

InfernalVortex Active Member

I'll be in when they fix the differential problem. It makes the wonderful F-Retro cars absolutely undriveable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. InfernalVortex

With the update they fixed the diffs. I'm probably in. But why are you guys limiting it to the Brabham BT44?

@bmerrell , @Koala63 are you guys in?

6. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Good luck with the event :thumbs up
    But I think it would have been more fun and with less crashes;) using the two F-V10 Gen1.
    But OK I admit they are not from the 70ties:D

EDIT: Just to show my good will I checked the McLaren out.
    But because I want to stay polite I dont want to say what my oppinion is about this piece of ...:rolleyes:

McLaren.jpg

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
  7. InfernalVortex

This is like saying, "Instead of Chocolate cake, you should just have potatoes", I dont think they're at all comparable. One is not an alternative for the other. The F-Retros have the potential to be the best cars in the game when tehy get them totally figured out. I think they're FAR better than they were, to the point that I think they're close to being right now.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. BrunoB

Hehe your first part could be right because if something is really lousy almost any changes would make it better.
    But when you are saying "I think they're close to being right now" then I think: What what? What is wrong with this guy? (joking:D).
    No I just thought that in such case its a positive thing that there are several much more reasonable cars in AMS2.;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. InfernalVortex

They are definitely better. Keep the diff loose and Lap times are really close to the geared diff times I set before they took that away.

i love the way these cars feel in every scenario except crests and initial turn in. It’s just annoying that the initial turn in is so annoying to drive around. Still better than before. They’re actually driveable now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  10. BrunoB

OK I hear you.:D
    But I have an extra problem with unstable cars that I have to use a fully handcontrolled non-FFB wheel (SRW-S1) and because of that I can only turn the wheel about +-15-20 degrees.
    Otherwise the thr/brake fingers get too twisted.:eek:
    Therefore i have to use full steer lock(26) and lowest rotation (100 degree) in wheel setup.
    So any loose/oversteer settings and any unstable car is just a bad joke - for me.
    But my LB positions with more reasonable cars does prove that even with these handicaps everything is not lost ;)

ByTheWay: Hehe Im becomming an expert in managing diff settings to extremely understeer at exit + extremely oversteer/rotation at entering corners:rolleyes:.

11. InfernalVortex

Thats how I try to set it up. Just whatever you can do to get the car pointed the direction it needs, then turn on the POWAH.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. BrunoB

I guess some of the reason behind our differences in oppinion about as example the retro "thingies" is because I have absolutely no patience if I feel a virtual car is lightyears away of how I think(!) such a car probably was to drive in RL.
    Hehe thats also the reason I have used so much time in the F-Reiza and latest (because of your personal insisting) in the reasonable F-V10-Gen1.
    While testing the retro '¤#%* my patience vaporized after about 5-6 laps where I experienced that this thing didnt obey my changes in the setup in any reasonable or somewhat realistic way.:mad:

13. LewisBloom

LewisBloom Member

Hey peoples, no its not limited, that was a mistake on the page the event is open to the whole class I believe. Bruno, turn the turbo down if its too much for you, I tend to run it pretty low and its a blast (round rim required imo) you drive it half like a modern GT car and half like a rally car. Embrace don't be afraid of the slidey bois, thats exactly how it was back then. None of this modern sterile precision, more ragged edge seat of pants input, input, input.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  14. BrunoB

Hehe you are allowed to believe what you believe :D
    But I will stick to Nigel Mansells remarks after he had crushed (completely outrunned) some younger sim drivers at a gamer fair. :)
    Because he said that if the cars had been that difficult to control when he was a F1 driver both he and most of his colleges would have been killed.

ByTheWay: The video there exist of both his driving and the interview does not mention if it actually was rF2 they used.:)

15. bmerrell

bmerrell Member

The cars were much easier to drive in real life than in the sim.

16. BrunoB

BM you got exactly my point :D

• Like Like x 1
  17. LewisBloom

LewisBloom Member

I think you might have the wrong era for Mansel Bruno hehe, about 20years later tbh. Try looking at the on boards instead. It does seem like you are expecting a modern F1 feel and I expect you need to manage your expectations. Is it gonna be 100%? No of course not, no sim is but hey when every competitor is dealing with exactly the same, does it matter? ;)

18. BrunoB

I know exactly when Nigel Mansell was driving F1 cars (1980-1995) - because Im that old myself.
    I even watched Mansell win on Silverstone 1991 sitting on my camping chair in Club corner - where the iconic picture of Mansell taxi´ing Senna back to pits was taken.;)
    But do you really think that Mansells comment of the discrepancy between real F1 cars vs virtual F1 cars was closely aimed at 1980 and later?
    Come on.:rolleyes:

ByTheWay: Not to compare myself IN ANY WAY :p with Mansell then about the time in the 1970ties where he was driving FF1600 I tried to start a career in the same formula class.
    So Im not without any experience of how a tiny formula car feels on some RL tracks - back in ancient times:D

Mansell 1991.jpg

19. LewisBloom

LewisBloom Member

it was just a weird thing to say tbh, id be worried if a 70's F1 car drove anything like the Traction controlled enabled rockets Mansell was driving.

As someone who works in sims and has dealt with this first hand, we take the pilots recommendation when its backed up with video evidence + when the person understands sims. Otherwise its pretty null and void having our own test pilots get details wrong a mare 2mins after getting out the cockpit. We (The place I work) stopped using word of mouth a fair few years ago now over a mix of what they say + the on board telemetry to back it up as primary. The sim part is the part everyone always forgets about, but the tl:dr is that if you take the software out of the equation someone can have a super realistic time on one setup and then back on a another have a real bad time using the exact same software. So setup and calibration, that's always got to be a consideration too.

But anyway this is just a fun one off event, not a league, we will all be driving the same car class, at the same circuit at the same platform, so right or wrong we all deal with the same issues, so why not come along and have a laugh trying to tame the beasts around classic Hock.I'm sure we will get some fast guys nailing it whilst the rest of us try simply to stay on the grey bit and keep all 4 wheels.

• Like Like x 1
  20. BrunoB

Mansells comment was a general one - not aimed at exactly the first/middle/last years he was driving formula 1 cars. Because in the mentioned interview it was obvious he had much more than superficial knowledge about racing games - and RL racing cars.:p

ByTheWay: Enough nitpicking of what kind of formula car Mansell was driving over the years - at least from me :cool:

• Like Like x 1