1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Karsten Hvidberg, May 30, 2020.

1. Yerffej

Yerffej Member

Good afternoon all, just purchased the Fanatec CLS Elite, was wondering which would be the best custom file to use
    Many thanks for your time.

2. Ernie

Ernie Active Member AMS2 Club Member

@Karsten Hvidberg Just curious ..... what's the reason behind this strange version numbers?
    "Silver Raw 6.6.5.9.9.9.9.3" isn't that easy to memorize. Why not going for number 10 after number 9? e.g. v6.6.5.10, v6.6.5.11 and so on.

• Creative Creative x 1
  3. Karsten Hvidberg

Karsten Hvidberg Well-Known Member

Hey Ernie,

Hehe, yes, at some point I was moving towards v6.6.6 and would end there, but then decided that 6.6.6 would be the asymptote instead, since we just don't need more **** in this world now. It might have been a bad decision, but it's why the version numbering sucks now 8)

Really not sure how to get away from that convention now, but I won't do so many more iterations more, if at all, so might not matter much any longer.

You are the first one to mention this, quite incredible right? So well done!

Best from Denmark,

-Karsten

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Kuku Maddog

Kuku Maddog Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

Hey Karsten

You know how i mentioned the bumpy tracks feeling, its not so bad on most cars with this file, but then i tried the formula ultimate on bathurst , Even with gain down to 5 or lower and Vol and FX down to 0 .
    The thing is undrivable because of the shaking like im driving on a gravel road with lots of ruts , when going down the straights, I wish there was a fix for this. nothing in TM control panel effects it either.

5. Karsten Hvidberg

Hey Kuku,

I only ever did 1 lap with that one. Will try it tomorrow and see if something is easy to do.
    You can try one of the other files as well. The latest experimental has a much stronger center than before, that is basically the experiment, and is why lower gain is required for that one.

Not sure the other ones are any better for that specific car.

Coming from PC2 the biggest difference IS the track bumps in general. Ams2 seems to have way too much for what you would expect from any race track, while pc2 might be too flat..

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Kuku Maddog

Yeah its just inherent in the track physics it seems and has effect on wild camera movement etc that they have been trying to fix. but not fixing the core issue that the bumps are over the top.
    I even tried adding smoothing and rack damping to the Reiza code section, but didnt make much difference, and i have no idea what Lever does ?
    I think i had some success in pc2 file of changing track bump period value , so i should try that next , ive done everything else.

7. Kuku Maddog

So today I did the delete of ams2 document folder after latest patch, I didn’t do it after initial update as there wasn’t any Mention of new ffb or physics, and my install is only a month old so should have had new default already.
    Anyway, after restarting the new default is now so much smoother, it still bumps a lot visually, but the ffb is way smoother.
    I haven’t yet found my sweet spot of settings, but it’s now clearly possible to smooth road surface feedback.

running 9.9.3 again it goes back to being bumpy. 9.9.1 is a little less so but I like the extra solidness feel to the centre the with 9.3,

8. Kuku Maddog

Ok Ive been experimenting as i do.
    I started with a default based custom file, added some deazone and fall off with the old tried and true line.
    (output (tighten output 0.11 0.01))

because the default has lot of deadzone. and increasing LFB doesnt fully help as it still adds a vagueness and other things.

So anyway ,once I did that the bumpy feels come back.o_O

So i played around with the values and worked out that removing the deadzone allows the hyper sensitive track bumps to come though on straights , which is where its most noticeable , rattling around inside the deadzone ..

So I then tired removing the deadzone and fall off values id inputed into your file instead of the G29 based values and just cranked up the Strengthen low to similar values .09-11.
    (strengthen_low 0.11)
    And it feels better, ( yes i know, you tried to tell me this with pc2 files ;)) with these higher numbers.

It works good for Stock cars and the like , but not Formula cars, there's no helping them until they fix the physics or track surface. even on default they suck.

But for us low end wheel users its an improvement . I think Reizer have set things up for better wheels.

9. Karsten Hvidberg

Right, at some point it becomes obvious that you will need to upgrade, I'm afraid 8)

The difference from a g-series to something like tspc or csl elite is monumental, so with how much time you spend on this I think you're prob. going to be making the jump to something higher end one of these days 8)
    You will hugely love the difference almost no matter what you change to, I think.

Nothing wrong with a low end wheel base at all, but most will love the difference, no matter what effort the devs put in to the ffb implementation 8)

10. Jorge Marin

Jorge Marin New Member

Hola, he configurado mi DD1 con el ffb que teneis aqui, y en fanalab con el ffb que recomienda Fanatec, pero al tener un accidente o golpe duro contra otro coche o la pared, el volante parece que se va a desmontar.
    Que deberia de tocar para porder quitar ese fallo??? Gracias.

11. Gazzawesty

Gazzawesty Skunkedup AMS2 Club Member

Hey Karsten, your new updated experimental is great on a G27...no loose middle anymore. Thanks for your work fella.

• Like Like x 1
  12. byrnesy919

byrnesy919 New Member

anyone here have an OSW? what files are you using? Ive noticed default ffb is a bit better

13. Kuku Maddog

I wish I could, you cant easily get fanatec's in my country as they dont ship here directly , so theres also very few to none on the used market, and when they pop up they want new money , but before that I need a new PC, and that's out of reach in the short term., might have a look during black friday sales though.

but the wheel works ok on Pc2 and most cars on AMS2 now.
    I applied the same change to Pc2 file and noticed a similar improvement and was able to run higher FX.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Nolive721

Nolive721 Active Member

Is Heavy messing from Nuscopii still applicable with the latest game release?

PS @Karsten i will also try your latest magic m8bdont worry

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. sherpa25

sherpa25 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

@Karsten Hvidberg, 9.9.3 is quite strong, never had settings as low as 50/20/40, and think I still need to lower it a bit for the center force :D

16. Karsten Hvidberg

Just gave the new/current Default a quick spin in the mini & v10, as I haven't done that for a long time.

It is def. feeling better than from what I remember!

The only critical things I noticed on the 2 laps were:

* Still too vague force from road on the wheels around center, so it swings forth and back at low speed in the mini & others. A little less than before, I think, so with some luck that aspect is actively being worked on. This was very clear on the mini, not as bad on the formula. This is the single biggest immersion killer for me, since it's just got nothing to do with how any car behaves.

* No good clipping algo applied yet. While it sucks on cornering, I am not worried about Reiza fixing that, as it's completely trivial to do so, so could just be any update at any point in time.
    For added information: Silver Raw uses an adaptive clipping that allows the force to jump up/down around the max. This is done by splitting the force in a fast & a slow force, then applying the clipping only on the slow part and finally adding them back together. To me this was what ended up working the best by far, as almost all details are retained even on hard cornering & you would have to be an expert to notice the clipping that is actually happening.

* The V10 feels VERY close to silver raw now, except that it does not allow the huge span of forces as silver raw does with its down force handling, when setting gain at 10-20. Hopefully Reiza will support this high dynamic range for high df cars at some point, but additionally in a way so we don't have to switch the gain setting between low & high df cars.

Default does come with some advantages that cannot be exploited by the custom file, since there is no access to tyre or car information from the custom files. So that counts positive on Default side already now.

Result for me is that Default is actually good again!

I would say only the few with a strong distaste for the above issues should really use a custom ffb file by now. Also I think mostly high level wheel bases benefit from the custom files at this stage, as a general rule, but it is of course subjective so not applying that to all.

Hopefully these few points are remedied by Reiza soon and then I will be back on Default as well.

Thanks Reiza!

-- A useful tip for the few that don't already know --
    A cool thing about AMS2 is that it has the lfb slider. This is NOT only to make weaker bases fill up at the low end. I used to think so earlier on, but even on high end wheel bases this can & should be used to control the feel of the center vs the feel on high speed cornering and help bring this down when needed.
    There is no such thing as "more correct" by leaving it at 0 on a DD wheel base.
    Setting it very low, for example at 1%, makes the difference from center forces to high speed cornering the biggest. Going higher on lfb & then lowering the gain makes the difference smaller. On most cars it feels more realistic to have at least some acceptable amount of forces around center & at the same time not being exposed to way too much force on cornering.
    ------

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Karsten Hvidberg

Hey Sherpa,

Yes, 9.9.3 is an experiment exactly for that. It simply was to see if it would benefit lower end wheel bases while still acceptable to lower the gain on more high end bases.
    The jury is still out 8)

• Like Like x 2
  18. Kuku Maddog

Hi Karsten.
    Ive had a busy evening playing with Pop's latest creation on for Pc2, its got some gold in it, but a couple of flaws too,
    So quick question... is there a easy way to use strengthen low setting on those custom Pc2 files that are unlike Silver Project .?

19. Karsten Hvidberg

Hey Kuku,

Let's take the discussion over there, as this is AMS2 forum.
    Please post your findings to me over there & maybe we can find multiple additional improvements to pass on to pops.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Slapshot82

Slapshot82 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Okay, just gave the Default profile a go in the new BMW M1 Procar (what an AWESOME addition this car is to AMS!) around VIR and you're right Karsten - the Default is MUCH improved now! I'm not the "RAW FFB profile only" type of sim racer by any means - I do tend to like a bit of added information from the wheel that I would normally get from the seat of my pants - but the tire grip feedback on the Default profile is so exceptionally good now that I simply don't need additional info!

The flaws you described are the only things I too noticed. The major bumps on straights just don't come through the wheel like they should and being forced to run a lower Gain setting to compensate for the corner clipping issues. Very nice job Reiza.... it's SO close now to pulling me away from using a Custom file.

• Agree Agree x 2