1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oval racing not going well for me.

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by BartZ, Oct 11, 2020.

1. BartZ

BartZ Active Member AMS2 Club Member

No disrespect to oval fans (since now I am one of them too) but I considered oval racing not as "true" as conventional track racing. Anyway, in an effort to become less close minded I started giving it a try. Not as easy as I thought. I certainly changed my mind about ovals. I obviously know about advantages in following another car but I am having trouble gaining advantage in turns and often lose control. I tried it in PC2 where I pretty much suck too. Any tips on becoming the next Jimmie Johnson? ;) I've been trying different lines, high, low, middle, high in low out, but I cannot get consistency. I am also not exactly excelling in oval setups. Help would be appreciated.
    Thank you all.

2. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

If there is LBs for one of your oval tracks then you can grab a LB setup - as a starting point I mean.:)

3. Gordie

Gordie Active Member

More to the point, what ovals are you actually racing in AMS2?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. BartZ

Yea, good question mate. There's a track (can't remember a name) which is only partly similar. More on PC2 I guess. But from I read there's hope for true ovals coming to AM2, right?

5. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

So this is a problem you have in PC2 - OK?

6. DjFIL007

DjFIL007 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Maybe in the "Racin' USA" pack... or when we get more layouts for Autódromo Internacional Nelson Piquet - Wikipedia (Jacarepaguá) which includes the flat Oval which CART ran in the 90's.

Otherwise for now Goiania Outer, Brasilia Outer or Curtitiba Outer is the closest I'd guess.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. jmac_the_man

jmac_the_man Active Member AMS2 Club Member

As far as setups go, when building a car for Oval racing, you need to remember the three L's. Low, Light, and Left.

Low means the same thing as it does in circuit racing. A car with a lower center if gravity will handle better. You can adjust ride heights to modify this in a sim.

Light also means the same thing it does it does in circuit racing: a car that weighs less will go faster. In a sim, you can modify your fuel load to make the car lighter.

Left is unique to oval racing. Depending on the track, you'll have somewhere between three and five turns, all of which are left turns. Since you know all your turns are left-handers, you can adjust your chassis so that it's heavier on the left than on the right. (In a sim, your tool for doing this is the "weight jacker.")

Obviously, real car chiefs for real cars have more tools to work with for all three L's.

Once you're on the track, you've got to remember that all the cars are pretty much the same, and so the big differentiator between who's fast and who's slow is what line you run.

The general theory is that on an oval with high banking, you can run faster by running the outside line (as close to the wall as possible) because you can hold your wheel straighter and get more power to your wheels going through the turns because the banking naturally turns your car in the correct direction. In PC2, Texas and Daytona are high banked ovals.

The flatter the oval, the better the inside lane is. When you run the inside lane, you need to use more steering input to get through the turn, but it's a shorter distance around the track. In PC2, Indianapolis is the flat oval you have.

None of this applies to any track in the current build of AMS2. Since none of the cars are designed for oval racing, none of them have weight jackers.

And none of the tracks are suitable for oval racing because none of them are banked. Even a "flat" oval like Indianapolis has SOME banking to it to help with the turning. (Indy has 9 degrees of banking in the turns.)

The Racing USA pack will likely include at least one "classic CART" car. And since it will add tracks too, it's possible that they add an oval or two to the game.

• Like Like x 1
  8. BartZ

That's a perfect explanation. Thank you!