1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engine temps and damage seems wrong

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by BartZ, Oct 11, 2020.

1. BartZ

BartZ Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I did a 20 lap race in Roco001 at Montreal. Ambien temps 25 dropping after sunset. 80% radiator opening. Telemetry (and CrewChief) say water and oil temps around 40° - clearly that's not possible. Telemetry app (SimDashboard) was reading steadily dropping engine condition. After 20 Laps engine was at 83% despite my short-shifting the entire race. At cool-down lap I tried to experiment and drove the entire lap at limiter. Rate of engine condition deterioration did not spike. Also, I did not notice drop in performance between 100% at start and 83% on final lap.
    Are engine damage and engine temps not simulated correctly?

Edit: Cause I can't fricking spell

2. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Probably not:D

3. BartZ

Yea, clearly :) Seems engine damage is unrealistically high "on paper" but has no effect on performance.

4. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Why Im pretty relaxed about this issue/bug is because there are a lot more fundamental bugs and issues in AMS2 that should be cleared up first:rolleyes:

5. BartZ

I agree. I'll post this on bug issues thread though. I suppose it's worth a mention

6. Raven_ARG

Raven_ARG Member

Sorry if its an obvious question but how do you see the engine damage and temps?

7. David Wright

David Wright Active Member AMS2 Club Member

The fact you are getting engine damage at low temperatures is a bug.
    The oil and water temperatures being around 40 degrees is a bug.
    Engine damage in sims based on the ISI engine is all or nothing, so the fact that 83% damage doesn't affect performance is not a bug. Its just how engine damage is modelled. The ISI engine was designed to simulate F1 back in the early 2000s. Engine failures in F1 back then did tend to be all or nothing affairs, with the engines just going bang rather than slowly degrading.

8. BartZ

Not obvious question at all mate. I use SIM Dashboard (excellent app btw) which gives temps and engine damage. I double checked the temps with crew chief. All around 40 dag. Weirdly, crew chief recons engine condition is ok even though Simdashboard claims 83% condition.

Edit: if you're interested I'll send you my dashboard layouts. Not many use Simdashboard but for the life of me I don't know why. It's by far the best there is (in my humble...) It's a Crew Chief of dashboards:)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  9. BartZ

That make sense. I hadn't considered that.
    I still can't explain no increase in engine damage rate after doing a lap in 2nd / 3rd constantly on limiter revving the nuts off it.