1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tyrrell P34 and Brabham BT46 and F1 packs, what do you guys think?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Bizarre Formula, Oct 11, 2020.

1. Bizarre Formula

Bizarre Formula Well-Known Member

Hey everyone,
    First of all I'd like to take a moment to say how amazing the F1 experience is in AMS2, I've been blown away by this game as a whole so thanks to all the guys and girls at Reiza, I can't wait to see what you do next!

On that note, I am a huge F1 fan and I would LOVE to see some more F1 tracks make an appearance, Malaysia, Mugello, Baku, Shanghai and Albert Park would be on my list for sure. Couple that with a few interesting cars from days gone by like the Tyrrell 'six wheeler', the Brabham 'fan car' and perhaps even the Lotus 88 and I would be the proverbial pig in poop.

Of course, I understand what a huge workload that would be, plus licensing costs, but I would happily pay a premium to add more F1 content. What do you guys think? What would you like in this hypothetical pack and would you be willing to pay more for such a thing?

There are already so many good F1 models, I know, perhaps I am alone in dreaming of this! =P

Thanks again to Reiza, looking forward to all of the future content.

Cheers

2. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

This is ofcourse pure fantasy and will never gonna happen - but if Tyrells P34 and as example the DeltaWing car from Le Mans 2012 was included in a car pack I would gladly pay the double price :rolleyes:
    But as said it never gonna happen.

ByTheWay: Actually there was a modder who created a useable DeltaWing car for rf1. But nobody could persuade the guy porting it to rF2:(

Nissan_Deltawing_Highcroft_Racing_Le_Mans_2012.jpg

3. Apex

Apex Active Member

I'm massively into historic F1 stuff myself, so I can't say I'm against more of that.

There are, however, already plans of making more historic tracks, and I'm slightly lukewarm towards having more cars in a class of their own. The Tyrrell for example would need at least three or four mid- to late '70s F1 cars to race against, if you ask me.

Honestly I'd rather have Reiza fixing and fine-tuning what's already in the game, and then later add stuff where you can set up an at least somewhat credible field.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Couple of things:

1. The Tyrell licence is a famous example of 'defunct brand licences' where I think it's exceptionally difficult for anyone to track down the owner of the IP. The team that was Tyrell has since been BAR, then Honda F1, then Brawn and now it is the dominant Mercedes team. But in all the legal paperwork transferring ownership of that, likely it's not as simple as the IP for Tyrell being owned by Mercedes. Unfortunately, there's a definite risk that it's been lost to time.

Edit: I did a bit of digging and seems it might be owned by these guys: TYRRELL PROMOTIONS LIMITED - Overview (free company information from Companies House) based on some licenced artwork prints.

2. On a more positive note, one of Reiza's content packs for 2021 is titled "Brazilian Grand Prix Legends - Pack featuring several World Championship cars won by [sic] Brazilian drivers". We know Reiza have contact with Brabham and McLaren, so I suspect we'll be looking at some cars that have been driven by Ayrton Senna and Nelson Piquet. This doesn't necessarily mean the 'oddballs' in your post, but there's a chance.

3. The Formula Retro in game is called Formula Retro Gen1. To me this implies there's a definite plan for at least a Gen2, which could be either ground effects or turbo era (most likely it'll be an early 80s car to match Piquet's winners).

On the actual subject, I'm with Apex - I'd rather they focused on adding as much depth as possible to existing classes before creating new ones, but clearly there are already plans afoot and we'll have to wait and see what next year brings.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. BartZ

BartZ Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I've been thinking the same. Six wheeler and fan car would be simply awesome.
    I love the addition on McLaren MP4/12 and the fiddle break. Serious respect to Reiza for making the effort to simulate the 2nd brake!

Edit. A bit off topic (not F1) I'd be hitting the roof if I saw Chaparral 2J in the lineup

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  6. BartZ

Delete

7. Pierre Dietze

Pierre Dietze Bad to the bone AMS2 Club Member

To be honest, for me that sounds all stupid. One car of the 70's, two cars of the 80's racing together on a modern Tilke layout - no, thats not my cup of tea. I love historic motorsport, and especially historic F1, but if you do it, do it right or let it be. Create a complete season, create the matching tracks, and bring it as a full price DLC or standalone game, and i am happy. But everything else is waste of money and resorces. Just look at the MP servers of AMS2, they are empty. Why? Because serious simracers enjoy something like ACC of F1 20**, something complete where you can choose your team and race a complete season with your team against your buddys. All i can say is, if you really want great historic F1 content, go for RF2 or fire up AMS1 with all the glorious F1 mods installed. And btw, you can even adjust the turbo boost in AMS1 for the turbo era cars...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. BartZ

Its not stupid. I don't mind racing a classic on modern track. It's a game, although an awesome one;) I do agree though that having a car or two per category isn't good.
    You're also spot on about ACC. Single class (lately two) but full season is great. ACC has a different focus though. ACC and AM2 are my go to Sims.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Bizarre Formula

Thanks for the replies.

Bruno: I agree, that Delta looks amazing, you're probably right about this all being unlikely.

Apex: I can see why that is something a lot of people care about (having multiple in the same class), however I meant them as stand alone vehicles, I personally would race the Tyrrells against Tyrrells, same as I race V10G2s against V10G2s. I also want to see refinement, I was thinking of this as a 2022/3 DLC, not something for right now at the expense of their current goals.

Rodger: That's interesting, sounds incredibly convoluted, cheers for looking into it. Would this apply to any F1 car model with 6 wheels do you think or would a workaround simply be to not call it by it's right name? =P I'm really excited for the Brazilian pack too and also for the 'extreme' cars and tracks, whatever they be!

Bartz: I agree, it's so much fun to drive, I'm so impressed with all that they've done so far.

Pierre: I don't agree with a number of things you've said, but that might just be the difference in how we both play sims. I certainly don't find AMS2 to have empty servers, I am in a racing 'club' that have a permanent dedicated public server and they frequently run large, long races. I also host my own servers that are well populated pretty much every time, I have met loads of other racers on it so far and now have a good group who I can invite when I do host if it's quiet.
    Simracers who like GT style cars go to ACC, it is perfectly possible to take sim. racing seriously in other cars and games. Suggesting any of the F1 series as a comparison for the quality in AMS2 is farcical and I have them all from 2010 to 2020. Rfactor2 and AMS1 are fine but both 8(?) years old at this point and I prefer AMS2, but hey, each to their own, that's why there are so many sims.

I posted this to see partly to see if others would like more F1 too and because if I say nothing, there is no chance of it happening. While it's still probably never going to happen, if you don't ask, you don't get.

Happy racing folks =).

• Like Like x 3
  10. BartZ

I think a lot is still to come. It's the forum and the posts like this which lets the devs know what the fans need. It definitely seems Reiza is keen on open tops since there a shed load of them with more coming in recent updates. It's looking good.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Apex

Apex Active Member

Interesting - I hadn't even noticed that. I'm not sure where exactly the F Classic Gen1 cars fit in the F1 chronology, but if the dev team have plans of making more generations of the Retro stuff, then I'd say mid- to late '70s and perhaps very early '80s would make sense. That would be Gen2 and Gen3 respectively.

I dunno, I'm just guessing.

12. Rodger Davies

I believe the F Classic years are approximately:

Gen 1 - ~1986/87
    Gen 2 - ~1988
    Gen 3 - ~1991

Note the years that Brazilian drivers won World Championships in this era are 1987, 1988, 1990 & 1991, so my guess for any F Retro generations would be ~1981 and ~1983 to match Piquet's Brabham titles.

---

For the record, I agree with Pierre's sentiment that I'd rather see depth and more 'common' cars added than random one-offs like the P34 or the BT46B - if they add a 1981 Brabham, I'd rather see other GP cars from the 1980-1982 window.

• Like Like x 1
  13. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The 1981 Brabham (BT49) would involve ground effect modelling, which I haven't seen any sim attempt seriously. The 1983 Brabham (BT52) had no ground effect to worry about and is also one of the coolest looking F1 cars ever, so hopefully it will make an appearance at some point.

• Like Like x 1
  14. BrunoB

Ahhhh.. @BartZ I like your postings - but not the 2J:confused:
    It is the most ugly racing car ever created - and had absolutely no impact of ANY later racing or road car.
    But it would be awesome if Reiza introduced the historic Chaparral 2F who participated in LeMans 1967.
    The first car in a race with a (semi)auto gearbox and the iconic huge moveable wing controlled with the drivers jobless clutch foot.;)
    That would be something to mess with on any virtual track :p
    Chaparral-2F+2D-Chevrolet real.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  15. Rodger Davies

Ha, personally I think most mid-80s cars are hideous, but there's an excellent article here about the engineering ingenuity behind them: F1 Technique: A new breed of Formula 1 cars appeared in 1983 (+photos) | Auto123.com

• Informative Informative x 2
  16. BrunoB

Are you saying no sim has attempted to simulate "ground effect modelling"?
    Because if we consider iRacing a sim :D then iRacing does simulate this effect reasonably in their L79.
    Ofcourse inside all the boundaries their weird TM allow.:rolleyes:

The Lotus 79, F1's ground effect marvel
    TECH TUESDAY: The Lotus 79, F1's ground effect marvel

17. Bizarre Formula

Interesting stuff, all of what has been suggested above is fine with me, I wouldn't say no to a single car any of you have suggested, nor matching tracks for them and well balanced classes.

I think perhaps I've mixed two seperate sentiments into one post, one I care about more (more F1 tracks for the awesome existing models) and the other being the unique vehicles.

The reason I put forward those two cars, but mostly the Tyrrell is because I have never driven anything like it in sim or in real life, there's barely any footage of either car racing too, that's why it would be exciting for me if the model was well done.

I feel the same way about the trucks in AMS2, bravo to Reiza for that, I wouldn't pay to go drive a 1300HP truck, but I sure am glad I have that option in AMS2, I've had a blast with them. Try David and Goliath mode in mixed class with trucks and Shifter Kart, it's great fun with a full grid. =P.

I like strange mixes and 'silly' or challenging races; I would love to have deep snow in this with the addition of spiked tyres. Though I'm hoping the 'wild' pack they are adding will give us some offroad or something similar, monster trucks perhaps! =P

If they wanted to make a fantasy F1 track that goes upside down I'd be fine with that too, exactly because this is a game, they are never going to do it in real life and it's been said that F1 cars can do it for years, wouldn't you like to try it too? (I don't mean trackmania style with jumps, I mean a well thought out track with inversions).

Also, while I'm at it, Santa, how about:
    Ferrari Testarossa 1952 (in yellow!), Jaguar XKSS, a blue Reliant Robin so I could pretend to be Mr Bean with the Mini Cooper, Ariel Atom and X-bow.

Well, there goes any credibility to my OP, but it seems I'm in an extreme minority on this one anyway, so no damage done!

18. kendoslow

kendoslow New Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm pretty sure there was a Tyrrell p34 mod released for F1C many years ago, so you're not quite alone.

• Like Like x 2
  19. BrunoB

Yeah was it for F1C (or F1RS?) there was a 70ties mod with a P34.
    I can remember it was sooo cool to drive this car if you raised the seat so you could see all 4 tiny front wheels moving in syncronisity.
    Im maybe wrong but I think the mod was made by a team named Seven crew or something.
    But the car was cool to drive:D

• Like Like x 1
  20. kendoslow

kendoslow New Member AMS2 Club Member

Yes that sounds right, it was for F1C but whether it was ported to any others I don't know.
    I used to have a few discs filled with F1C mods, wonder if they're still kicking about.