1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 V1.0.4.0 Update Released, now updated to v1.0.4.1

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Oct 3, 2020.

1. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo "Son of Spartakus" and "Leisure Nostradamus" AMS2 Club Member

Still waitin' where is the September Roadmap.And what will truely comes this month confirmed....:whistle:

• Agree Agree x 7
  2. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

I don't want to get into 'sim wars', but I'd suggest we live in excellent times as far as racing sims go, with many developers not following that mantra you describe:

Raceroom is unrecognisable from its original scope; since becoming 'Sector3' they've created a superb game there and their passion for their project is plain to see; best AI and sounds on the market for my personal taste - been improving each quarter for years now.

rFactor2 has gone from sketchy reproductions of oddball cars and tracks to reproducing and arguably being the best way to recreate Le Mans, Sebring and other global events. Since the 'Studio397' formation, they've really focused and listened to their community, created a lot of top quality content and continued improving that title for years.

Assetto Corsa was borne from a one-man passion project and was developed for years and years, becoming so much more than it was originally meant to be and a title that manufacturers like Porsche, Ferrari and Lamborghini wanted to use to showcase their products. Its sequel is a spiritual successor to GTR2 and is being developed superbly and the original is still being developed at impressive pace by third parties.

iRacing I don't know much about, but the people making it have been improving it on an ongoing basis for years and years and it still has a huge, passionate fanbase that clearly like a lot of what they're doing.

And, as you say, Reiza have shown with AMS what they're capable of and their passion for what they do and listening/reacting to their audience comes through with each update. AMS2 is far from the only game in town IMO, but that's because just because we live in a good time to be a simmer.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. Andy-R

Andy-R Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Good time to be a sim racer as long as you can tolerate GT3 cars.

Best sim racing experience for me at the moment is hotlapping cars I don't particularly like on tracks I don't particularly like in a game focused on cars I really don't like. Kind of sums up sim racing for me at the moment :p

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Which race cars come equipped with those?

• Funny Funny x 3
  5. Marc Collins

I didn't say or imply that AMS 2 off road was best or even correct. It's not, but it is also not fundamentally flawed as some on here are implying.

What I did imply was that people expecting a supposed sim to have console racer magic grip on grass or magic traction out of deep gravel traps are not likely to find it in a sim that is striving for accuracy.

In the extreme, hot slick tires on wet grass have close to zero grip. In less extreme situations, the grip is still incredibly low (see 1,000 videos of race cars driven by professionals to verify). Until recently, gravel traps were designed to stop cars from hitting barriers and stop them from continuing in the race. The concept was that it was a serious "penalty" to enter one, so you did everything possible to avoid them. You can disagree that is good, but it was the philosophy of racing until very recently. Track cutting and easy recovery from mistakes is a recent phenomenon.

So, you can change online racing to be easier and less frustrating hoping to gain more popularity and audience. In my experience, all that does is provide additional opportunities for morons to get back on the track and disrupt the races of people who are trying to race as opposed to play bumper cars on a race track. A too-large proportion of people in online races apparently get more satisfaction from ruining others' races than trying to succeed themselves.

We need a ranking system to screen-out people who can't keep a car between the white lines and yes, we probably need an arcade-style "reset button" to place cars that go off back on the track with a small time penalty. I have no problem with those sorts of options because they can be turned on or off and we can all choose which type of server we prefer to race on.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Micropitt

Micropitt Mediocre driver doing mediocre laps AMS2 Club Member

This is very true. If you recently watched the 24 Hours of LeMans you also witnessed how cars that drove in to the gravel had to be lifted out with the crane since they couldn't drive out under their own power.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

No one expects this.

Dry grass in perfect conditions still has incredibly (as in "not credible") low grip even with low-powered cars in AMS2.

This is true, but is also a consequence of real-world safety requirements. Sims have no safety requirements, so there is no need for gravel traps that you can't (slowly) drive out of. Just because something annoying exists in real world racing doesn't mean it has to be 100% faithfully implemented.

Turning the grass into an overly-punishing ice rink is not the right way to fix the serious but unrelated issues of careless drivers and low driving standards.

Or we could just make grass less slippery but still punishing, like it is in every other sim out there.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It's true. I used to go to Monza many times a year in the 1990/2000s before they changed the first chicane and made all of the outside areas of the track out of tarmac. Back then it was all gravel. All of the chicanes, the Parabolica. Everywhere deep gravel traps to slow cars down.
    Any car going out was absolutely surfing and jumping their way back to the track, it was NOT a smooth excursion at all. It was super bumpy! And in most cases you would remain beached.
    I think the new F1s Tilke-droms have poisoned our view of what a challenging race track is.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Cheesenium

Cheesenium Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I really hope game ending gravel traps aren't implemented into the game. The way gravels works are largely alright at this stage, I am really not interested in cranes or race ending gravel in any game.

I find R3E did gravel traps the best, they are difficult to get out but it is possible if you slowly limp out of the gravel trap.

The game has many aspects that need work on, development should not be focused on this type of features to add to the list of features to be further polished.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Micropitt

Micropitt Mediocre driver doing mediocre laps AMS2 Club Member

I wonder what people are going to do at the Nordschleife? Mostly no grass or gravel, just some good old cold steel. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Marc Collins

Turn off damage so you can pinball your way around the track as needed!

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Marc Collins

Exactly. To do the off-track surfaces properly, you need to have different grip levels for every type of surface (even various grasses) and dampness level. We know dirt/mud racing is eventually coming to AMS 2, so I am sure they will then apply that knowledge to all the standard tracks already in the game. Recall the FFB was also too severe on much of the off-track surfaces. We have a temporary kludge that (unrealistically) smooths it out. In the meantime, while we wait for the amazing accurate grass, mud and gravel (and ice??), drive on the track.

It's not that this isn't an important thing to update...it just isn't as important as the many unfinished elements that affect the people racing properly, on the track.

13. alink

alink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Gravel is for reducing speed of the cars before hitting a barrier. If you go straight into it the car can jump and demolish the car. If you go sideways, it's possible to roll over. And of course, F1 cars and sport cars are so less above the ground that they sit with their bottom on the gravel, the tires are up in the air or have so less contact with the ground that's impossible to drive away without any help by a crane.
    Take a look here and see what gravel does:

But this is racing how it should be! If you are going off the track, it's (nearly) over. This silly asphalted run-offs these days is kindergarden! That's why so many drive without any good sense, because if too fast (or something else) then just off the track and with full speed back (like Sainz at the Russian GP 2020 'Oh my goodness, there's a barrier')

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I am all in for gravel-traps. When I pick the Superkart on a normal track and I go offroad by accident.. It's game over. I like that. I really have to drive cautious.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  15. Mike Ruby

Mike Ruby Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Hi, first of all congratulations to Reiza for the incredible job she is doing, there are many things to polish, but I think they are going in the right direction.

Second, thank you for fixing the movement of the cockpit, the truth is that I no longer feel nauseous from so much movement, although I have to say that the Stock Cars still have an exaggerated movement, it is as if the changes had not been applied to them, moreover I find the way they turn at the beginning of a curve weird.

I think it would be a good idea for Reiza to let all the AM2 content play for free for a weekend, once they have the GT3 / GT4 and Nurburgring finished, a lot of people would finish buying the game, thanks to a free weekend from RaceRoom, I ended up buying all of their content years ago.

Finally, although it is not the most important thing for those of us who want the most realistic simulation, I think it is necessary to improve the presentation of the game, menus, selection of cars and circuits, etc. Unfortunately many people notice these things.

A hug and all my support for Reiza !!!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  16. David Peres

David Peres Active Member

The reason why the Stock Cars might feel like they have an exaggerated movement might be because on these cars you sit so far back compared with other cars so it affects the perception of how and how much the car is moving.

Sometimes I also feel that there's something a bit weird about the way these cars feel on corner entry (and this applies to some other cars in AMS 2 as well), but I'm not quite sure how to explain it or even if there's anything wrong at all. Maybe a lack of "bite" from the front wheels? Not sure...

I still find these cars quite enjoyable... they used to be my favourites in AMS 2 before Group A and M1 Procar released.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. newtonpg

newtonpg Active Member AMS2 Club Member

18. F1 Hero

F1 Hero Active Member

I hope they add more features to the multiplayer enviroment when the ranking system is launched. Restart session, next session, change track, kick/ban driver, "auto-continue" between sessions (last week I was hosting a non dedicated server and went to have some dinner, when I came back everybody had left and the server was stuck waiting for me to click on "continue"), among other things. We should be able to chat while watching others driving. Also, the chat box is too small and limited. I know the multiplayer enviroment is already ok and there are other priorities, but more features and some polish would be welcome with the ranking system release.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. F1 Hero

F1 Hero Active Member

That's a great idea. Think about it, Reiza!

• Like Like x 2
  20. Mike Ruby

Mike Ruby Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Hello, it's true, but visually it seems to have the opposite effect, it seems that the steering wheel is glued to the dashboard with hardly any space, I don't know it's something weird. I have been watching onboard videos on youtube and it seems to me that it does not have such an exaggerated movement and that the curves are taken more "naturally".

In any case, they are cars that I really enjoy, but I think with a little more refinement they would be spectacular.

a greeting