Any good setups for the Vintage Formula cars

Discussion in 'Automobilista - General Discussion' started by Bsmooth, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Bsmooth

Bsmooth New Member AMS2 Club Member

I don't have a FFB wheel but the 67 cars seem to be plowing badly with understeer. I've tried various changes, but have not been able to cure it, and ideas ?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
  2. DeoraTwo

DeoraTwo New Member

That is simply the behavior of these cars. every mod or game with late 60s f1 cars have them plow hard and snap oversteer.

3. Bsmooth

Well it was awhile ago, but driving the cars in GPL, it was pretty much a different story with most of the cars having oversteer, not understeer issues, especially with all that weight over the rear wheels. Of course that was a very old sim.

4. ProjectFour

ProjectFour New Member AMS2 Club Member

Think you messed up in the post when you mentioned oversteer (rather than understeer which you seem to be implying). Anyway I tried the car and found a little more brake bias to the front was beneficial for heavy trail braking which seems to be essential in this car and slightly more coast + preload so the car is stable under trail braking. Maybe try stiffer front arb and springs? Maybe dampers as well and try more toe out at the front.

5. Bsmooth

Yep, I was in a hurry at work and mixed them up, your right I did mean understeer with my original post. I think your right about the preload, I think its seven right now, maybe 3 or 4 would be better. I also have tried much stiffer springs which seems to make the car much more stable. Actually really had a blast in an AI race last night at 95% AI strength, but screwed up and spun out at Spielberg historic without the chicane.
    Thanks for letting me know about that screwup, I knew these cars would be good!

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Eduardo del Mango

Eduardo del Mango Member AMS2 Club Member

A powerful car with barely any weight on the front should want to understeer everywhere. I think these AMS cars do actually feel better than the GPL ones (even with the mods). In GPL you'd load up the outside wheels a bit, push the weight to the front by easing off, and it'd just turn in. Turn with the throttle, job done. The AMS ones have to be encouraged to oversteer, they want to swap ends, and you've got to catch them and hold them through the corner. In retrospect, the GPL cars feel a bit too friendly.

So, setups...

I've had a bit of a fiddle around with them, only for the V12 at the moment. I've uploaded what I've got as the base as a .txt file, so just download that and rename it to .svm.

Most of it is about trying to get weight to the front on turn in, so I've softened the front bump and rear rebound dampers, along with decreasing front and increasing rear spring rate. I've also tried to counter mid-corner understeer by adding a bit of camber at the front, softening the front ARB and hardening the rear.

I'm sure more talented people will come up with much better on their own, but if you're completely stuck then see if mine helps at all.

Full changes:

Front
    -Bump damper 1
    -Rebound damper 0
    -Spring rate 2
    -Anti-roll bar 4
    -Camber 0.8

Rear
    +Bump damper 0
    -Rebound damper 1
    +Spring rate 4
    +Anti-roll bar 4