100fps, but image feels like 30fps

Discussion in 'Automobilista - Help & Support' started by Jan Mikuž, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Jan Mikuž

Jan Mikuž Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Yo, can anyone advise on what to do in this case ?
    I'm testing out a new monitor (1680x1050) and can't get the image to be 60fps-smooth all the time,
    even though the fps is high enough - 85-100fps on high preset and medium shadows.
    I've tried all the known stutter and such-related options, but nothing helps.
    The image is only 60fps-smooth when i drive straight, very slow and don't touch the wheel.
    As soon as i get up to speed or start turning the wheel the image/camera panning and shaking slows down to what feels like 30fps or even lower at times. Not so much stutter, but very low fps performance, although there's no indication of insufficient fps on the fps counter.

Now, if i cap the fps limit to 60 the image is smooth also when driving at speed and turning, but now i get terrible screen tear and constant frame skipping, pausing and stuttering.

Very odd. I have no idea where else to look. Does this mean the cpu power is lacking, maybe ?
    I'm still on an old G620 Pentium. I'm about to upgrade to an i5 very soon (and up the gpu as well),
    but seeing how even players with beast hardware have issues i'm not so sure it will help.
    Just want to understand/figure out a symptom of what exactly this is. Anyone have an idea ?

Thank you :)

2. Óscar Melero

Óscar Melero foxtochop AMS2 Club Member

Are you running the game at 60hz?

3. Jan Mikuž

Yup, 1680x1050/60Hz.

4. Óscar Melero

Óscar Melero foxtochop AMS2 Club Member

If you're running it at 60hz I don't know what to say... were you recording?

Try to reinstall the game, helped me time ago.

5. Jan Mikuž

Thanks for the help. No recording.
    Records at fluent 60fps on basic preset, though...

Reinstalling is the only thing I haven't tried yet. I'm still on a 2Mb connection and it'd take days to download it all again.
    I'll just have to do it, I guess.

6. Novotny

Novotny New Member

Are you using v-sync? I had the exact same problem with a 970. If so, try turning it off.

7. Jan Mikuž

No, i'm using Vsync OFF.
    Vsync ON produces the smoothest image overall, but again skipping and stutters and
    it's obvious that it's not 60fps at all times. And there is also obvious input lag.

8. Alex Sawczuk

Alex Sawczuk Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I'd say you're just CPU limited and it can't keep up on all frames. Disabling shadows / time acceleration is probably your best bet.

Unless you modded the hell out of your install I never expect redownloading to make any difference.. Compared to what you can do by just deleting your My Docs AMS folder anyway.

9. Jan Mikuž

I'd say you're just CPU limited and it can't keep up on all frames
    This is a thing, huh ? How about Edilson's case who tried reinstalling and has an i5 and such
    and all the other reports about stuttering with beast hardware and such ?

Anyway, tried all the known stutter-related measures already and no change/improvement.
    Apart from the track pack and a couple of cars no other mods installed.
    Redownloading now just in case. 8h to go... :confused:
    Will try to upgrade the cpu to i5 in the next week or so and will report back again then.

Thanks

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  10. leon_90

leon_90 Member AMS2 Club Member

My AMS stutters so bad sometimes I just quit and play something else, and I got an OC I5 and 16gb of 2 ghz ram. The software is at fault for sure, since the general complaints cannot be pinned down to us all having bad hardware.

To me, having such a modded software still on 32 bit is a much viable culprit.

11. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

I'm seeing some dropped frames or micro-stutters also - especially noticeable in tight turns. I haven't tried changing the FFB mode yet but, I am running with the 60 FPS limit applied.

Nvidia driver v388.00.

See system Specs below.

12. Jan Mikuž

Here's smth new that worked for Edilson. Maybe worth a try if you too happen not to have
    both user data folder and main install on the same disk.
    AMS BETA builds - 1.4.86b now up

13. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

Thanks, very interesting information but, my setup is even more complex. I have Steam installed to my C-drive (SSD) but, the Steam game library is actually on another SSD and my documents are stored on a separate HDD.

14. Alex Sawczuk

Alex Sawczuk Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

A G620 Pentium has like 1/3rd of the rating scored of my 5.5 year old i5 3470, the game is very CPU limited, so I wouldn't say it's a bad assumption to make that it is limiting it. Not that other things can not cause issues too.

15. Jan Mikuž

Reinstalling didn't change anything.
    I notice it didn't wipe my docs folder, so I created a fresh profile just in case, but it makes no difference. So it probably is due to cpu limitations in my case.

16. Uani

Uani Member AMS2 Club Member

"nice" to read a clear description of the issue I feel. It shows 144 for me but it always felt like 13 (yes the value Grand Prix 2 offered within its range). When I see 60 fps videos of games on YouTube, they look super smooth which is heart melting awesome. Yet the game I play most, AMS, I wondered why I don't have a "blown away" impression of 144 vs 60. It got better when I recently tried AntiAliasing, more like 40 then, not YouTube 60 fps but a far cry what I "should" get by the factor 144 is larger than 60 is raising as likely. Sadly AntiaAliasing stopped working for Automobilista. This would also explain why I "can't get down to low times" sometimes: I cannot corner as I was given expectation to. I would very welcome you investigating the code for causing something as described and remedying it. I'll follow the hint on shadows. What's time acceleration? The xYY for race length?

17. Jan Mikuž

I think you mean the setting called "time scale" in the track settings menu (laps, time of day, duration, etc...).
    It controls how fast the time of day changes. It may help with stutter of turned off. But it's not a given.