1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A question about Velo Citta

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by I Drive Demons, Mar 24, 2021.

1. I Drive Demons

I Drive Demons Member

So it's pretty obvious I am from the north in Texas. I heard of AMS 2 through popular Youtubers like Empty Box or Simracing 604. I am liking the game and I am running the Velo Citta course and the braking markers that line the course are the funniest thing I have seen on the track.

Is there a story behind why there are Monkies making various faces on the braking markers on this course? It's a bit distracting but honestly gives a lot of character I have never seen before. Cool easter egg if it is one.

2. tpw

tpw Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Those monkey markers are there in real life, they’re not an Easter egg. I’m not sure of the history and significance though, perhaps a knowledgeable Brazilian will chime in:)

3. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

Renato did comment on this a while ago, nothing to informative but just saying that it's really like this. It would take a bit but I'm sure you could search his posts to find that comment.

4. alink

alink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Hi,
    just found this description:
    "One thing that is unique to Velo Città are the amusing signs above the metre boards at each of the braking zones. Each shows an image of a chimpanzee, who becomes increasingly anxious the closer the corner gets (see video). It has become a trademark of the circuit and a much photographed-feature."
    Take a look here:
    Velo Città
    OIP.jxuTgs9dAqYQr3e6jjby2AHaEw.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  5. Wedsley Dias

Wedsley Dias Active Member

I am also interested in knowing and have never found an official explanation about it.
    The Velo Città Circuit was designed by "Souza Ramos" and built on a land owned by him, ("Souza Ramos" is the Brazilian importer of Mitsubishi and, therefore, it is not surprising that the Japanese automaker has been heavily involved with the circuit since the beginning).
    The little monkeys, known as "Three Wise Monkeys", illustrate the door to the Holy Stable, a 17th century temple located in the city of Nikko, Japan.
    With that information, I believe it is something related to religion / faith / superstition.
    T1 is called "Curve of the Monkeys" (Curva dos Macacos), I don't know if the name is because of the markers, or if the markers were inserted because of the name T1.
    Ramblings aside, we have to agree that it was a great idea!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  6. alink

alink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

In general, Japanese have a big liaison to monkeys, so I think it is one the one hand a "yoke" (the anxious monkey), on the other hand a superstition. Whatever, it is just a great idea :).