1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AI Improved in 1.2?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by stlutz, Jun 11, 2021.

1. stlutz

stlutz Active Member

I started the earlier thread about AI improvements in 1.1.3.5. Thought it would be worth starting a fresh one about 1.2 now that we've been playing it for a week. The point here is not to report specific issues like Renato's main thread, but just to discuss AI overall and possibly share tips for having better racing.

My experiences have been mixed. I've had good, clean races (mostly in GTE cars) at Jerez, Hockenheim, and Speilberg (which are easy tracks to have clean races at). I was actually thinking I'd try starting up a custom GTE championship this weekend.

But then I decided to try Interlagos tonight (again in the GTE series) and it was a disaster--all the old issues were still present: rage turbo, cars passing like you're standing still and and then slowing down and getting in your way as soon as they get past, cars ramming the player out of a need to stay on the preferred racing line at all costs (if you have the inside preferred line going into a corner, why would you swing outside and run into someone?), the "AI Aggression" setting having no relationship to the frequency of being wrecked etc. The one improvement was that I did not get passed in the grass. I tried all ranges of ability and aggression but they really have no impact on one's ability to setup an enjoyable race.

AI improvements weren't oversold with developer notes that went with this update--hopefully more are to come. Until then I think I'll stick to the less challenging tracks.

• Like Like x 1
  2. John Mendez

John Mendez New Member

All I can say is that I imagine Bathurst as being one of most "AI demanding" track and all my races are clean in that track. Even multi classes with 4 slots. I´m really surprised. I come from RFactor 2.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Koen_Sch

Koen_Sch Active Member

I have quite the opposite experience with Bathurst. I find it difficult to finish a race against the AI (100/80), whilst on other tracks, contact is not even an issue.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jason Pladoh

Jason Pladoh Member

Lotus 23 vs Mini Cooper S, 95/100, 20 laps, 20 cars, having the best races ever, Ai swapping places every lap, not all bunched up or three wide laps as previously. No mad jerking left/right, or random breaking. Just wish I could select the car field, ie 10 mini's and 10 lotus 23's, seems a heavier Mini spread. They are probably cheaper to race than the lotus 23's to be honest.

J

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
  5. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

The heavy Mini field is because there are only 3 liveries for the Lotusessses.
    The racing sounds good though, will have to have a go.

6. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Active Member

Formula Trainer custom championship.

Brands Hatch Indy and Donnington (so far).

Ai are between 5-6 seconds a lap slower than human in wet conditions compared to dry.

7. stlutz

stlutz Active Member

Okay, so I've done a few races now in the F3 cars (F-309) and the AI hasn't been kind of good--it's been really, really, really good. Lots of good, clean battles. No gimmies. Any contact was due to a bad mistake on my part.

The one I did at Kyalami tonight was particularly notable. That's a really hard track to pass on in those cars. There weren't any corners where I had a huge advantage on the AI (or vice versa). I got a little overenthusiastic on one pass attempt and ran off track. When I got back on I was in last by a few seconds. I was able to catch up a pass a few cars by the end so Jeff wasn't too mad at me, LOL. But I mention that for a couple of reasons. One, the AI was "smart" enough to see I was going to overshoot the corner and acted appropriately to avoid hitting me--thus my race could continue. Second was that that the AI spread out some so it was worth continuing the race even though I had gone back to last.

Think I'll be doing a custom championship in these cars this week!

8. farcar

farcar Well-Known Member

Thanks for starting this thread.
    It might be helpful if everyone included their AI skill & aggression settings as well, as that may make a difference.

My feedback after a 35 minute race at Hockenheim GP:

Mixed Class GT4 and GT5 cars, no mandatory pit.
    AI Skill 98 / Aggression 85.
    I set pole in drying conditions
    The race conditions were a damp track, but it it was pretty much dry and green.
    Got a terrible start, losing 7 or 8 spots then punted off track at T5 (happy to call it a racing incident) and put to the back of the field. I recovered and picked my way through the GT5s to finish 10/25 and the leading BMW GT4.

In terms of racecraft, the AI were really great and were a pleasure to race against if paid a bit of respect. Could go door to door, lapping the GT5s was quite predictable and the pace was reasonably consistent with mine over the course of a lap (remembering that I'm not really consistent)

The only thing I'd note, is that I was on average a second per lap off the leader's pace (despite setting pole), and I noticed all the BMWs all finished at the back of their class, so not sure if the Gt4 class needs some balancing.

I don't get to sim race a lot these days, but bloody hell it was an immersive experience with the changing track conditions and having to manage tires over the course of each session. Absolutely amazing and 2 thumbs up. :)

I'm sure the AI will continue to be fine tuned, but I'm in awe of where AMS2 is heading.

• Like Like x 2