1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AI issues

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by R2Rabbaddon, Feb 2, 2023.

Tags:
  1. R2Rabbaddon

R2Rabbaddon New Member

does anyone else have an issue of being taken out by the AI when they are behind you, it seems they have zero awareness of you braking, as you know sometime you have to brake early (lap 1 for instance due to cold tires) and the AI seem to have their brakepoints set in stone and will hit them no matter what and will go straight into the back of you, I have had this happen so many times that it is now getting beyond the point of frustration. I love this sim so much but this one issue is putting me off racing. they behave better these days if they are alongside you, or racing each other. just beware if they are behind you

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. Kurupt CDN

Kurupt CDN Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Can't say I've ever been rear ended by the ai that wasn't my fault.
    Ex. Being in the middle and coming across the nose of an AI on the inside.

There's only been 1 scenario where I've been hit/pushed off track.
    Getting a run on the ai entering a breaking zone/ turn, AI in the middle of the track, I'm about to pull alongside on the AI's outside....than the ai does this ridiculous last second lateral slide to the outside track edge, having zero awareness of my presence.

I've read several complaints of AI hitting them yet I've I had the complete opposite and has been one of my complaints regarding the AI....I feel like I have protective force field around my car and if the ai come within my space they do these ridiculous lateral slides to avoid me.
    I've found that due to this you can completely manipulate the ai and cause them to hit the brakes and back off.
    The two scenarios where this happens is on straights and corner exit.
    Straights, you just have to squeeze them a bit.
    On corner exit, if they are on the outside and you track out on exit they will hit the brakes mid corner and almost come to stop.

What AI settings are you using?

I'm using 110-120 strength, class/track dependant.
    Max aggression

I'd suggest posting a video and putting it in the AI report thread

Last edited: Feb 2, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Mhad

Mhad Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I've noticed that most people that complain about issues with the AI rear-ending them in braking zones are racing online with AI.

I have not seen this when racing offline with the AI.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  4. Scar666

Scar666 Zum Glück bin ich verrückt

I completely agree... The AI around the player thinks better than most humans can react in an online scenario, definitely with AMS2's poor p2p predictions... The only time the AI seem to be terrible is in an online scenario when they are affected by that poor p2p prediction...

My other point to emphasis here is that the AI can always be gamed... Just move over a little so that their AI path is covered off and you've successfully avoided a dive bomb into the car's width you've left on the inside... With a human driver there's got to be no car's width if you really value the position...

And unfortunately the better that an AI can think about the consequences of a move, the easier they are to game out of a move...

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Gazzawesty

Gazzawesty Skunkedup AMS2 Club Member

I don't race ai offline but if I join an online lobby that has them they they don't seem to know where I am on track and just punt you off track. I've always thought it was because I'm not the host so they only know where the host driver is.

I don't like the ai at all in ams2.

6. Scar666

Scar666 Zum Glück bin ich verrückt

This is completely down to the p2p code and the fact that all the AI have to feed off of the hosts connection... Making them all worse...

They are completely useless as a result of the p2p code taking too long to tell the AI to react to a player car...

Offline they are better than 70% of the drivers on public lobbies...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Kurupt CDN

From my few attempts in open loobies in this title, I'd agree.

If they can improve the ai lines, balance the tracks/class performance and figure out how to keep them from giving up so easily, I'd be happy.

The best way to describe the current AI is ......
    Racing against a field of rookie humans that have avoided MP because they are afraid of making a mistake and ruining someone else's race, so they just give up the position when a faster car approaches.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. john Ellis

john Ellis The Rectifier of Names AMS2 Club Member

Despite their shortcomings, I have to admit that I'm generally satisfied with the AI in AMS2. Yes, to a certain extent every corner at every track is somewhat reminiscent of final-lap Monaco stuff (i.e., just keep your car positioned in just the right spot to prevent an overtake, and the only thing that can beat you is a self-made mistake). For those of us that have a soft spot for Gilles Villenueve's win at Jarama in 1981, AMS2 seems to serve that feeling time and again, at least at those car/track combos where player and AI are well matched. I imagine that alien simracers would find the AMS2 single-player experience a bit dull, but for the rest of us, I find it works as good if not better than anything else I have (i.e., most sims save for iRacing & ACC).

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Kurupt CDN

That's another issue that needs to be sorted as well.
    I am no alien by any means, a mid packer online at best and usually 1.5-2.5 secs off the the top times.

I'm already running 115-120% strength and max aggression and running 1+ secs faster than the ai with most the content. I don't even bother qualifying and just set myself last, just to see how many spots I can gain in a race.
    If a mid packer is running out a challenge from the AI and maxing out the AI strength....faster drivers will be bored senseless.

For comparison I run 55-65% strength in iRacing and with luck, a perfect race, fight to make it into the top 10.

Hopefully they increase the ai pace and dial back the strength so drivers of all skill levels have the ability to grow and have a challenge.

For this title to grow and draw more racers, the AI and MP needs to be better than just mediocre.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Does not sound correct. I recall that previously running too low AI aggression made them glacially slow. Is it now the opposite with high aggression?

11. Kurupt CDN

That I can't confirm, I don't believe I've ever used anything less than max aggression since the game launched.
    For reference, the vehicles I drive most are modern tintops.
    Mini JWC, GT's, LMP and DPI.
    Some combos have improved the last couple of builds.
    One common trait I've noticed is that the AI in a practice session and qualy are pretty near to full pace on their outlap + first flying lap and are 3-4+secs faster and fly by me.
    Than by my 3rd or 4th lap I'm on par than I always seem to have a crazy fast lap between lap 6-8 and leap ahead.

12. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

That seems very odd. Are you accelerating tyre wear or something?

13. Kurupt CDN

Nope, authentic assists with TC, ABS and stability off, realistic tyre wear, realistic fuel, max damage, 20% track rubbering to start real time progression per session.
    Weather settings are usually a mix of medium cloud, hazy and overcast running between April to Oct.