AI opponents sometime "jump" when they touch my car or each other

Discussion in 'Automobilista - Help & Support' started by Richard963, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Richard963

Richard963 Member AMS2 Club Member

I've enjoyed playing Automobilista for several months, but there's a problem I've never been able to cure:
    The AI opponents sometimes "jump" sideways when they touch my car or each other.
    A car suddenly appears at a different location on the screen - almost as if the intermediate draw positions are not calculated.

I've tried to find a good YouTube example, but this problem must be quite rare.
    In this video (not mine - thanks to Guimengo) the opponent comes close and "jumps" at about 2:55.
    "Jumps" are often much worse than in this example - quite distracting.

1. I always play offline, so I don't know whether this only happens with AI opponents - caused by AI calculations?
    2. This isn't normal stuttering - the cars "jump", but the other graphics are smooth.
    3. I almost always use open wheel cars.
    4. I've tried changing graphics settings including opponent detail.
    5. I've tried reducing the AI to AI Collision Rate="40" in the .PLR file. This helps slightly, but the cars merge together as they touch.
    6. MSI Afterburner graphs - I cannot see any spikes in Frametime, CPU usage, etc. when the cars "jump".
    7. I usually use VSync, but I I've seen the problem with VSync off.
    8. With VSync on the GPU is not being worked hard (30-40%). No CPU threads show a high usage.
    9. The problem is intermittent - in some races the cars touch smoothly.

Is there anything I haven't tried?
    Thanks for your help.

2. Scraper

Scraper Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Have you tried setting "Maximum Pre-Rendered Frames" to 1 in Nvidia Inspector?

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Richard963

Yes it's set to 1.
    Thanks for your reply.

• Like Like x 1
  4. tpw

tpw Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It's a vagary of the engine's collision physics as far as I understand it. I don't really think there's much that you can do to alleviate it, but of course I'm happy for a dev to tell me otherwise :)

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Richard963

Thanks for your reply.
    I wonder how many people have the problem - Is the engine's collision physics affected by GPU (NVidia/AMD), CPU model, etc.