1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

All GT3s can run 0% ABS, 100% brake pressure with no lockup.

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by SlowPoke80, Nov 28, 2020.

1. SlowPoke80

SlowPoke80 Active Member

Tested at Montreal.

2. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

Genuine question because I can't check for myself at the moment: Does ABS % work like TC % where more percent means more slip or does it work the opposite way where more % means more ABS?

3. SlowPoke80

SlowPoke80 Active Member

Opposite from TC. 0% is no ABS

• Like Like x 1
  4. ToMythTo

ToMythTo The Hero We Need But Not Deserved

you can open crewchief he says something like “you are locking your rears too much” when you have really locked maybe easier to notice.
    Also with open wheelers can’t see the flat spots. Tried a lot to create flat spots in the front by locking but no visual clue.

5. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Im getting wheel slip on telemetry, so you are losing quite a bit of grip if you slam the brakes. But there should be a lock up point...

6. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

I think a lot of stuff that was in ams1 isnt implemented yet, flat spots arent visible actually no tyre degradation visually, I believe i did manage to feel them but it was super hard to achieve, in real life without ABS you get a flat spot really easily if you dont back off quickly. Same with visual degradation of the track, I believe they havent turned Livetrack on completely yet.

7. psone

psone Guest

flatspots are a weird one, way more noticeable on some cars than others. Stock Car 2020 they are rfactor 2 noticeable which is great, the gt3's on the other hand no idea, they feel super smooth no matter what I do them.

@SlowPoke80 how are you measuring whether the wheels are locking or not?

8. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Tested with the McLaren 720S GT3 at Silverstone - brake pressure 100%, ABS 0%, brake ducts 50%/40%. I can lock up the brakes at the end of hard braking zones in 2nd gear, but only mildly (some smoke, sound effect, slight tug of the FFB). Tested in Test Day, Single Race and Time Trial. It's not the screeching four-wheel smoke cloud that you might expect, but they do lock at the limit.

9. SlowPoke80

SlowPoke80 Active Member

I drive around some corners to see if the car handles worse, and I use the HUD with the giant tire display. I couldn't feel any anything different. Although the tire display showed the middle of the tires getting warmer, it was essentially uniform, and never even went to yellow.

If they are locking, they aren't flatspotting the tires to any significant degree.

10. psone

psone Guest

Thanks, i'll have a play around with the GT3's tomorrow. From memory at least, I know that Fanalab and CC would indicate that from a telemetry point of view the wheels are locking, but the GT3's wouldn't react how my brain would expect them too under heavy braking with ABS off, but whether that's realistic behaviour or not I can't really say. I mean how often do you see them locking up IRL.

11. SlowPoke80

SlowPoke80 Active Member

They may not be generating a realistic amount of braking force. Perhaps the devs went too far in the other direction when they were trying to solve the problem they used to have with brakes locking too easily.

IRL, different strength pads can be used. Endurance pads last longer, but don't brake as well. I'm not sure if they're this weak, though.

12. steelreserv

steelreserv Well-Known Member Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Try hard cold tires perhaps? I imagine fresh softs might be part of the culprit here.

13. SlowPoke80

SlowPoke80 Active Member

The McLaren and Camaro GT4s, along with the F V10 G2 and F3 have more or less the same problem. I was able to get lock ups on the F3, but it didn't damage the tires much. Real tires would have exploded from that abuse after one or two corners. I've seen it happen.

I haven't tested cars not mentioned.

14. SlowPoke80

SlowPoke80 Active Member

The more I test, the more it seems that the bigger part of the issue is the lockups not doing enough damage. The F3 locks up when one would expect, but you can do it again and again without severely affecting performance.

I hope flat spot damage is something that can be increased easily in the code.

Can a dev confirm?

15. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

I found out yesterday that the Stock Car 2019 flatspots quite nicely. A short lockup into a corner and I had well massaged arms after the race.

A shot in the dark regarding flatspot feeling through FFB, could that have to do with FFB FX settings?