1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMS2 beta and VR

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - Help & Support' started by loadie150, Aug 28, 2022.

1. loadie150

loadie150 New Member

Hi all,

very first post here….

looking for some help here, just bought most of the AMS sims and installed them all through steam. I run an Oculus Rift S and it works great with AMS2 but I can’t for the life of me get it to work in the beta version. All were downloaded and installed today. Did a race in AMS2 in VR no issues. Tried everything I could find but no luck so far. I generally get the options on Steam to start the sim normally, in Steam VR mode or Oculus vr mode. Don’t get that with the beta, I get other options and most of those take me to the windows setup page. No options for VR in there either.

any and all help is greatly appreciated!

2. FADOQ

FADOQ Active Member

I dont start the game with steam as I use simcommander from my wheel but it Works fine from There. I guess you should be able to add commande for VR un the launch option

3. loadie150

loadie150 New Member

I have no idea what that is or I’d try it. Any pointers on where and how to get that app?

4. FADOQ

FADOQ Active Member

5. loadie150

loadie150 New Member

No issues running AMS2 through steam, Oculus or any other app, the issue is with AMS beta

6. loadie150

loadie150 New Member

If you see in the library there are 3 AMS apps, AMS, AMS 2 and AMS beta.
    upload_2022-8-30_12-43-23.png

When I select the beta version I get these options:
    upload_2022-8-30_12-44-27.png
    None will work in VR.

Attached Files:

7. FADOQ

FADOQ Active Member

Indeed .. this is what I m saying.

Create a shortcut and set in Target : C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe steam://launch/378860/othervr -silent

Replace the path where you installed Steam and dubble check the ID if your AMS Beta

The -silent Isn t mandatory

Start you occulus Desktop and launch the game from your shortcut. It should work

8. loadie150

loadie150 New Member

I’ll try that today or tomorrow, thanks, fingers crossed it’ll work!

although I’m not entirely sure how to do this. Is there a link to a video or directions on how to do this?

9. FADOQ

FADOQ Active Member

Right Click on your Desktop -> New -> shortcut

Sélect the folder where steam.exe is installed

When you shortcut is created right Click on it, Go in shortcut tab and follow the Target procedure above.

You can customize you shortcut with name and icône as well if you wish

• Like Like x 1
  10. loadie150

loadie150 New Member

Ok, I've made the shortcut; however, when I right click, all I see is create shortcut, when I select that it just makes an exact same copy of the one I already made.

11. loadie150

loadie150 New Member

12. FADOQ

FADOQ Active Member

Click on properties then look for I think the second tab on the context menu that appears

13. loadie150

loadie150 New Member

14. FADOQ

FADOQ Active Member

You are at the right place ... Replace the Target by what I ve Writed above. You Will have to replace the 6 digit number by the folder number where is your AMS beta

• Like Like x 1
  15. loadie150

loadie150 New Member

I've been searching for the last 2 days without success, the only number I can find is my steam account number and that's a 17 digit number. I can't find a folder number at all.

16. Roar McRipHelmet

Roar McRipHelmet Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

One of the many ways you can find the Steam App ID is by going to Steam library => right-clicking on Automobilista 2 Beta => select Properties => Updates.

ams2beta_properties.png

Or on SteamDB:
    https://steamdb.info/app/1066880/info/

Last edited: Sep 6, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. loadie150

loadie150 New Member

I swear I'm completely brain dead!

When I try to add the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe steam://launch/388990/othervr -silent" to the target box under Propertes > shortcut tab I get an error message : C: Program specified in the target box is not valid. Make sure the path and file name are correct. I've also tried to remove the "-silent" comment and same results.

If I try to add the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe steam://launch/388990/othervr -silent" to the Start in box I get error message: The folder " C: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe steam://launch/388990/othervr -silent" specified in the start box is not valid. Make sure that the folder exists and the path is correct.
    I've also tried to separate the comment between the Target box and Start in box with the same results.

Sorry for being so ignorant about this! Also I greatly appreciate all the help here as well.

18. Roar McRipHelmet

Roar McRipHelmet Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

388990 is the Steam app ID for Project Cars 2. I guess FADOQ just used that as an example.
    As you can see in my comment, the Steam app ID for Automobilista 2 Beta is 1066880, so instead of using 388990 you should use: 1066880

I don't have any experience with Oculus VR headsets myself, so I don't know if the launch option instructions (i.e. create shortcut and add a target) will work. But I assume that it works.

An alternative method to launch these kind of URLs is to simply copy and paste
    Code:
    steam://launch/1066880/othervr
    into your web browser location bar and visit that URI from your browser.

I don't know if this is exactly what users with Oculus headsets have to do, but I have a Pimax headset with Revive installed, and when I visit that steam://... URL in my browser, AMS2 Beta launches in a different VR mode than before, with no desktop mirror. So I guess it's correct?

19. loadie150

loadie150 New Member

That is weird about the codes, that’s the number I got from the AMS beta properties page, I’ll post a screen shot when I get the computer turned on today.

20. loadie150

loadie150 New Member