1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 November 2021 Development Update Part 2

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Nov 22, 2021.

1. RDG

RDG Active Member

Not necessarily, the sim can also only accept shifts that were made when the clutch was pressed passed its bite point, or the rpm limit was in the correct band for a clutch-less shift to be possible. If the shift is not accepted, you would have to take the shifter out of gear and put it back into gear to do the shift properly. The current system is far too lenient with shifts as it doesn't matter how far the clutch is depressed or whether or not the clutch is depressed before or after the shift.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I agree, that quite some cars seem to be still on the lenient side, for whatever reason it might be.

Taking the shifter out of gear and taking it in again is what i meant regarding the different haptic experience. It's (only personal opinion) actually even more annoying, than if it would happen, that you can simply not apply the gear to snap in. (Which hardware limitation prevents, of course). I can see, where you're coming from, though.

Clutchless shifts definetly need correct revmatching though, which also depends on the gearbox you use. (You will be able to dogbox a Gr.C car, while you probably grind your gears a lot for the F-Vee)

But to return to the initial opener of this discussion, it has still implemented requirements for revmatching and gearbox damage to the amount that gears can be damaged and fly out on torque application or simply don't apply at all anymore if you've lost a gear. So if that doesn't apply, than something is not dialed in correctly.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. oez

oez Mayor of Long Beach AMS2 Club Member

I'm pretty sure there is at least one sim that works the way you describe and it absolutely grinds MY gears. You would think it's immersive and realistic, but since it feels exactly the same in your hand even if the gear doesn't go in, it's a big no no. One of those things that's unnecessarily difficult compared to real life.

Of course gearbox leniency is another matter like Crimson already said :)

• Agree Agree x 7
  4. Tarmac Terrorist

Tarmac Terrorist Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Just reading the comments on gear gearbox and shifting I have to say that out of all the major sims (apart from iracing, as ive still not tried it), AMS2 has by far the best manual gear shift, damage, and overall implimentation i've experienced in a sim so far. You can rev match, if you get it wrong you don't get the shift, you can grind gears, you can loose gears, there are sims out there that do none of this. I agree its not perfect and there are of course (as mentioned eralier in the thread) the hardware limitations, but it ceratinly simulates more than alot of other sims, i am very grateful for that!

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
  5. CatAstrophe05

CatAstrophe05 The Andrea De Cesaris of simracing

I also think of another sim where, unlike every other sim on the market, the auto-clutch/damage combination is pretty much busted. Sure, it's realistic to have to lift off with every shift and time your throttle blips just right but when you're basically forced to mimic using a clutch despite not having a functioning one with risk of your transmission breaking then it makes you wonder why they bothered putting auto-clutch in
    Oh well, at least Reiza knew that having that system wouldn't work for us auto-clutchers :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. doomwarriorx

doomwarriorx Member

you have small typo. Should be DBR1-2 easy mistake to make ;)

7. CatAstrophe05

CatAstrophe05 The Andrea De Cesaris of simracing

I wouldn't put the AMR-One past Reiza, they love their cars that have novelty value :p
    All we need is a Panoz Abruzzi along with it to flesh out the 2 objective best cars of the season

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. DavidGossett

DavidGossett Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Sounds like it's time for FFB shifters. :rolleyes: Let it fight me back when I don't match my shifts well enough.

• Like Like x 2
  9. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

It's definetly something to consider for the industry at some point IMO. Imagine you actually feel, that you aren't getting a gear in. More than just a gimmick to me, tbh.

10. Jean-Yves Mercy

Jean-Yves Mercy Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Regarding the gearbox, there are still some strange or missing things on some cars.
    For example try the Porsche RSR74, if you shift from fourth to third gear at a much too high revs, you have to lose control. IF you do it on the Corvette, nothing happens except overdrive.

11. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

There is the Quaife shifter that simulates different gear types and more realistic behavior / feel. I'm not sure how "Active" the feedback system is though, nor how/if it integrates with proper clutching.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Rando1

Rando1 New Member

Thank you, just... thank you.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  13. GregzVR

GregzVR P1 passion, P10 talent.

Hyped to emulate some epic Montoya Champcar action!

• Like Like x 2
  14. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

There are a couple of vehicles not configured fully yet, but most H-pattern cars work authentically if you are using realistic settings. As mentioned above, not only will you grind gears if improperly using the clutch, you will break them (individually) if doing it repeatedly.

15. Darkmater

Darkmater Member

Wonder if Penske Indy / champ cars will be represented as generics? Seems to be the one constructor brand missing from the list.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. sedesa tatasa2

sedesa tatasa2 BANNED BANNED AMS2 Club Member

and Eagle

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Pixel

Pixel Active Member

Thanks Reiza, just one thing, avoid a November 24th release as that is the day that ACC releases their big update, so if you release it then it will steal your Thunder. Release next day or on Friday (or even better, today!).

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  18. alink

alink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Would be fine although these are no beauties (the 1998s, at least for me).
    R.d45c7d194af6cdccb21835a02ba75c3f.jpg R.344ab751bf2f8a5b4815c790f01df641.jpg
    Then, why not a Catherham for F-Reiza? 1173826-23157979-1600-900.jpg

19. kkdrummer

kkdrummer Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm a simple man, thanks Reiza! :D

20. sampopel

sampopel Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Really looking forward to all the updates. Regarding AI, does the use of the term "initial parameters" imply that there are further personality parameters to come? :D