Automobilista - October 2017 Development Update

Discussion in 'Automobilista - News & Announcements' started by Renato Simioni, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

Hello everyone!

We have a lot of new good stuff to show you this month :) The next v1.4.9 update is going to be packed with several valuable developments and new content so that´s what we´ll be covering in this month´s dev update.

New native HUD / TV overlay system

For v1.4.9 @Alex Sawczuk has undertaken a complete revamp of the native HUD system to feature a lot of the valuable information seen in DynHUD & other 3rd party systems along with a brand new TV overlay system, which the added bonus of being fully fed & rendered in-game and neatly arranged into a single overall design.

This should hopefully reduce the needs for DynHUD & other external HUDs (though these will remain as functional alternatives for those who may prefer them).

Below a couple of WIP previews of these new fully native systems:
    GRAB_060.jpg
    GRAB_068.jpg
    The new native HUD won´t feature a trackmap in its initial v1.4.9 version but we´re working to add it too in-time for v1.5.0.

Turbo Model

On the physics front, the long overdue turbo model is finally due to arrive in v1.4.9 - that means turbo engines like in F-Truck, F-Classic, Metalmoro MR18, Mini and Lancers will be much more accurate to their real life counterparts.

In the videos below @Niels Heusinkveld talks a bit about this new model and how they impact the driving experience in the sim:

The crazy F-Classic version Niels is testing here has 4.0 bar boost pressure allowed by the rules in the mid-80s, however the actual F-Classic based on the 88 season will be limited to 1.5 max so it should be a bit more sane than this!

For those willing to experiment with insanity though we will keep the boost adjustable up to 4.0 in the initial Beta version due to be deployed in AMS Beta some time this next week. For release the 1.5 cap will be set as per the rules but mods will still be able to experiment with different physics. In the future we might explore the turbo insanity a bit further ourselves :)

Limited tire sets with cumulative wear / component change delays

Another significant realism option currently in the works is the addition of limited tire sets - users will get the option to limit the number of tire sets available for single & multiplayer races, which will then accumulate wear as they´re used throughout the race weekend. Drivers will then be able to switch back & forth between used and new tire sets (rather than just infinitely reset tires to a brand new set every time he goes back to the pit menu).

Furthermore, we are working on adding options for time delays changing major car components, so that if for instance driver blows an engine or significantly damage the car, he will be forced to sit in the pits and unable to go out again while the mechanics handle the required repairs. This is to combine with another new option to set rules for escaping to pits mid-session (whether you can escape to menu any time as currently, only when vehicle is stopped or only when its back to its pit slot).

All this (and potentially some extra options we´re looking into) with the goal of adding an extra dimension of realism to the simulation so that drivers have to be mindful of managing their tires and equipment, an ever present element in real racing.

We are not sure these features will be ready in time for v1.4.9 but will be certainly be added in time for v1.50.

Spielberg 2017

@ilka & the rest of the track team have completed a full revamp of the modern Spielberg circuit, bringing it up to 2017 configuration. This includes several graphics updates along with new surrounding buildings, plus curb & run-off modifications to the track layout itself. Below a couple of previews in nice autumn colors (the GP version will feature appropriately greenish foliage):
    GRAB_078.jpg

Metalmoro AJR

GRAB_077.jpg
    The Metalmoro AJR will also be added in v1.4.9 as free base content.

The AJR is the first advanced LMP2-ish prototype from Metalmoro - the first of its kind manufactured in Brazil and thus appropriately the first of its kind to feature in Automobilista, filling one of the few remaining gaps in our car roster.
    GRAB_080.jpg

The AJR has been designed to be versatile for a wide range of different engine configurations, so its series in AMS will have the added bonus of featuring distinct engine options - besides the Chevy V8 currently being run by the single model in action, the sim car will include versions with a Judd V10, Powertec V8 and Honda I4 Turbo as alternatives, all with their own distinct characteristics but overall similar performances.
    GRAB_070.jpg

These new features and content should be making its way to AMS Beta very soon, along with another nice batch of bug fixes, minor AI and audio developments.

Things are really ramping up and coming together nicely now in these final stages of AMS development, which has contributed to its development continuing to stretch further than we originally planned - we are definitely going to be wrapping v1.5.0 before recess in december, by which point we hope to have our baby in its final and best form - look forward to sharing the news about that at this time next month :)

That´s all for this month - hope you all enjoy the coming update!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
    • Like Like x 39
    • Winner Winner x 35
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
  2. roby13

roby13 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Incredible. The only thing I'd like to point out if i may, would it be possible to make a continuous white rev band that turns red over the limit and ditch that tiny triangle?

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Eduardo Mennocchi

Eduardo Mennocchi Racecar driver wannabe AMS2 Club Member

Wow :rolleyes:

Simply amazing :hurrayreiza:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Antonio Castagna

Antonio Castagna Active Member

New Metalmoro is so good !!! Great Reiza !!! :hurrayreiza::hurrayreiza::hurrayreiza:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Schlitty

Schlitty Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Looks good!

6. Yuri Bascope

Yuri Bascope Member AMS2 Club Member

JESUS CHRIST! I'm in love with the Metalmoro AJR!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Yuri Bascope

Yuri Bascope Member AMS2 Club Member

@Renato Simioni as a suggestion about the ESC command, maybe you can include a system more or less like iRacing does, that a ESC doesn't necessarily means the end of the race for someone. An example, if I crash my car badly on iRacing and I can't drive to the pits, I can press esc and my car will be towed to the pits. This tow can take some minutes until the car reaches the pit again. Once it's there, you have to wait for the crew to fix it.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  8. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Dude I'm going to add 1000hp in turbo on the damn Mini :D
    *engine blows up after 15 meters*

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Robin_NL

Robin_NL Member

10. Andy-R

Andy-R Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Thanks Reiza :)

What is the "TV overlay"? Does it mean we can show some info in replay like delta/lap time?

11. Andy-R

Andy-R Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Oh... can't wait to try the Uno in the new build as well :) (even if it is a minor difference with it's little turbo.)

I hope the Copa Classic classes will be fixed also (Uno in Cat B registers as FL class FL Gol registers as Cat B etc.)

12. DaVeX

DaVeX AMSUnofficial Staff AMS2 Club Member

Thanks Reiza, you work is outstanding as usual!
    Really like the new HUD! Great work!
    @Alex Sawczuk please can you use squared/minimal looking flags? I think will fit better the overall style (very very good looking).
    Would be great if we can have a bigger engine icon with a gear icon too, something like this:
    [​IMG]
    What do you think?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
  13. Atsuki

Atsuki Member AMS2 Club Member

Some pictures of the the AJR from this last weekend at 3 Hours of Tarumã (AJR was the race winner!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  14. DjFIL007

DjFIL007 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Dat turbo... can't wait.

15. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Thank you for these great updates.

Please make sure the new native HUD is rendering resolution independent. That is: text and widgets must occupy the same physical area on screen whether rendering the game in 4K or 1080p. I'm saying "rendering resolution" because it is not necessarily the same than screen physical resolution when using NVIDIA DSR or AMD VSR. HUDs such as dynhud specified in pixels should be a thing of the past. You may also want to take into account screen dpi (dot-per-inch) and offer the ability to have widget/text occupy the same physical area independently of dpi (default), or to scale it (using percentages) for bigger displays: both can be useful depending on the distance of the viewer to the screen.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Maxellero

Maxellero Member

Judd V10? You mean the GV4 Judd V10?

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  17. Scraper

Scraper Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The scene outside Reiza Studios a few minutes ago.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Oscar Hardwick

Oscar Hardwick Member AMS2 Club Member

@Renato Simioni I know I always ask but was there any news on the manufacturer pack or have we seen the end of DLC content now for AMS?

AJR looks mint as does the new HUD and turbo modelling. No matter where 1.5 ends up you guys will have done more to this engine than many of us thought would be possible.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Jan Mikuž

Jan Mikuž Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Is this it for AMS regarding car/track content ?

20. neal

neal Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Where are you guys seeing this new stuff? I have the beta but don't see a new HUD or MetalMoro AJR.

21. Wexodius

Wexodius Member AMS2 Club Member

Wow Reiza.
    You keep amazing me with the updates, content & fixes you throw at us with each patch update.
    Looks like outstanding work reading the article. Love the addition of 'tire management' being implemented too.
    Thanks again for a great update coming our way.:hurrayreiza: