Automobilista review by LetsTestDrive

Discussion in 'Automobilista - General Discussion' started by Professionalsimracing.com, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Professionalsimracing.com

Professionalsimracing.com Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Pretty much nailed it.

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 4
  2. FS7

FS7 controller filters off please AMS2 Club Member

Very good review, I think EEC's tracks are also a must have in addition to Patrick's track pack.
    I do agree that wheel is better but the game plays fine with a Xbox 360 controller imo, but I had to make a lot of adjustments to the settings because the default controller settings suck.

• Like Like x 1
  3. LetsTestDrive

LetsTestDrive New Member

I really should re-try all the major sims with a controller. I know the mainstream opinion is that they don't feel right when using one, but is all you're really doing introducing a "hand of god" assist which invalidates the fact you're driving a simulator? I know it's not an AMS exclusive issue, and is the case with the other major racing titles too.

4. FS7

FS7 controller filters off please AMS2 Club Member

Whether or not controller feels right depends on the controller settings being used as well as one's driving style imo.

There's 7 racing games I play regularly, rFactor, rFactor 2, Automobilista, GTR2, Race 07, Project Cars, Assetto Corsa, all using Xbox 360 controller.
    I'm fairly smooth with my inputs, I use ABS either at low/off depending on car/game, all other aids off, manual transmission. Irc rF1, GTR2 & Race 07 play well with controller with default or nearly default settings, the other 4 games I had to make adjustment to controller settings. rF2, AMS & PCars felt too sensitive on default; AC didn't feel sensitive enough on default; rF2, AC & PCars also had this weird sense of steering input lag when using default settings due to their poor default controller setup.
    Personally I don't see using custom controller setup as an assist, at least in my case I try to setup the controller so that the cars do what I want them to do, cars are still challenging to drive and require precise inputs but without being unpredictable or inconsistent.

Obviously the best thing would be to get a good wheel but for people like me who don't have money or space for a wheel rig controller is a acceptable way to play the games.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. hashegotabeard

hashegotabeard Active Member AMS2 Club Member

In as much as you driving with zero g-forces simulated through your body despite alot of driving being 'through the seat of your pants' invalidates it for wheel users, I suppose.

There's multiple layers of feedback we get in the real world that can be simulated in different ways. Thankfully alot of them can be done audio and visually. A Force feedback wheel will give an extra layer of detail via physical forces through your fingertips but not having that layer doesn't invalidate the other forms of feedback just as you not being able to feel g-forces invalidates the feedback from the wheel.

AMS is great at communicating the limits of it's cars via it's sounds and visuals so even with a pad you can get a real feel for each vehicles character. You don't need a fancy high-end wheel to 'feel' the Supertrucks transfer their weight round corners. I've grown to love vintage cars via AMS despite using a pad becasue I can feel the weight and grip transfer through the car and the tyres. I get the sense of weight, the limits of grip, how each car behaves and what it's limits are. It's not translated through my fingertips but it certainly is being communicated to me.

Because it captures (and communicates well) the fundamentals of what makes learning to drive a car or track fast fun I'd argue no, using a controller doesn't invalidate the experience.

Overall I thought the video was a good watch. You've clearly done your research and made some good points (i.e the Brazilian content focus being a curse and a blessing).

Aside from the controller thoughts, the only other point I felt was misplaced was the wrap up. I agree with the underlying point, that Reiza have created a great product despite not having the same resources as competitors, but didn't like the way it was almost presented as AMS is somehow purer for it. It sounded like you were spinning a lack of features as a positive.

The game would only be improved if it had access to better graphics and licenses (Reiza aren't creating fictional content after all). Much like the point on controllers, the main thing to highlight is that it stands up on it's own (and arguably above others) despite these shortcomings.

The games great because it's crafted with care by devs who seem to know their onions, not because Ferrari/FOM were asking too much to include licensed cars. :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. onaflyer

onaflyer Member

Definitely a good and pretty accurate review. Thanks

7. RWB 3vil

RWB 3vil Member AMS2 Club Member

Good review. I wish more reviews would mention that it uses Realfeel as thats attractive to a sim user if they know their stuff. Reelfeel is a big part of the love people have for the driving as its simply just way better than most other games out there when it comes to feedback on a wheel.

I am surprised it isnt incorporated into other games seeing as its free/open for any devleoper to use/include (apart from rFactor ofc) as its leagues better than their own. pCars for example (even pCars2) is horrendously bad. They have soo many fake feels it gets rediculous. I dont like rFactor 2 either, way too heavy/clumsey.

Reiza got it spot on with AMS that its gonna be hard to let go, if AMS2(reiza17) comes out and they dont keep the FFB like it is in AMS (which i doubt but you never know)

8. David Dominguez

David Dominguez Member AMS2 Club Member

rF2 essentially does the same as realfeel...