1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Balance performance for Copa Classic B cars suggestions

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by DaWorstPlaya, Oct 7, 2021.

1. DaWorstPlaya

DaWorstPlaya Active Member

Hi,

1st of all thanks for making the Copa Classic cars so much better than they were last year. It's really come a long way. It would be awesome if we could see a little more refinement with these cars over time.

Out of the 5 cars in Copa Classic B series, it seems the Chevette has a distinct advantage in the game. Would it be possible to balance the performance of these cars out in a future update? They don't need a lot of tweaking just a slight change, IMHO. Below are my suggestions to get the other cars closer in performance to the Chevette.

1. Puma: Tweak the 3rd gear gear, making it slightly shorter for better acceleration in 3rd gear. Currently the car suffers from a extreme bog when it has to switch from 2nd to 3rd, which lets the Chevette easily pull away.
    2. Gol, Uno and Passat (FWD cars): Tweak the front diff accel lockup (less accel lock up) so the throttle can be used more aggressively coming out of corners.

I think with just these few tweaks the racing will be much closer and much more fun with the cars in this class.

We're currently running a Copa Classic B series and the drivers in the Chevettes seem to be running away from the drivers in other cars.

Result 211007-Pu6 - Taruma_Internacional - RMsolo Main Race Server - Automobilista 2 - Simresults

Thanks for reading Reiza, keep up the good work. Hoping you find the time to make these adjustments soon.

• Like Like x 9
  2. DaWorstPlaya

Also make the launch easier on FWD cars so they don't bog on launch. Those cars should be able to easily spin their tires when launching like the RWD cars in the class. Currently they just bog which seems incorrect physics wise.

3. Pink_Stripes

Pink_Stripes New Member

I found this post looking for this specific issue and I'd very much second the request. Now there's a sixth car, the Mini, but the class is still very unbalanced after the tire update. In my experience, the Chevette has a clear advantage, the Mini and the Puma are close, but the three other FWD cars are noticeably slower.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. PaulA

PaulA Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I could be (and most likely am) very wrong.
    but are the cars in this class designed to be totally even? If one or more cars have a distinct advantage, is that how the cars they are modelled after performed?

i feel like nowadays, we are so used to every car in all classes to be balanced, rather than have cars with some more distinct advantages?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. DaWorstPlaya

This is an old post and a lot has changed since the latest 1.4 massive physics update. A lot of the issues I've listed above have been fixed with the newest release. FWD car actually drive like FWD cars IRL.

The fastest car now in the class is the Mini and it blows the doors off all the other cars in terms of straight line speed. It's a little tricky around the corners but if kept under control, it is the fastest period. I think it might have been a mistake to add this car to the class.

Below are the results we gathered after our league did some extensive testing with the Copa Classic B class cars.
    The Chevette is the easiest to drive out of the box and very well balanced depending on your driving style and is the next fastest car in the class. It has great straight line speed, great gearing and handling.
    After that the Puma, GOL and Uno are pretty evenly balanced after they have been tuned.
    Unfortunately the Passat is the slowest as it gets killed by all the other cars in straight line speed. It is also the easiest to drive out of the box.

All the cars in the class are a hoot to drive but I don't feel like the Mini belongs in this class.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Pink_Stripes

Pink_Stripes New Member

Oh, looking at that picture, I'd wish they also put the Fusca in this class!

That's a fair point, but in this case there's one or two cars with a distinct advantage over the rest across the board (rather than one car being favored in some tracks and another car being favored in other situations).

Even if that was "realistic" (e.g. I don't know the actual regulations but you can see the Mini has a big weight advantage and about the same HP as the others), I feel like some rebalancing would be beneficial as it would favor fun and good racing even if it is was the expense of some realism (and I'm not so sure that it would be). And I'm not asking for perfect balance in every situation, which is probably impossible when you have different FWD and RWD cars, but at least that some cars are not 1s per lap slower across the board.

8. DaWorstPlaya

Yep, the Mini is so light compared to the other cars in the class it is a rocketship in the straights due to it's power/weight ratio. When we ran the Copa Classic series in our league, we banned the Mini. Then we didn't allow the top 10 fastest drivers from using Chevette, limiting them to the GOL, Uno and Puma. It was amazing how close the racing was when we did that. If you are planning on using these cars for your league in a series I suggest you do the same.

• Winner Winner x 1