1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I save FFB per car?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by ijac, Apr 11, 2020.

Tags:
  1. ijac

ijac Member

I find myself adjusting the FFB for every car. Would be nice if it saved the FFB settings per car. Perhaps in a future update?

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  3. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Doubt it. It should be close, but there will always be a need for small tweaks by vehicle depending on hardware and personal preference.

It is on the way, by the way. Reiza has already confirmed that AMS 2 will have this, just as AMS (1) did. We have to be patient, though.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. ijac

ijac Member

Thanks for the info @Ivysaur. I wish there was no need to adjust the FFB per car but that hasn't been my experience. I just ran through some tests to make sure.

The second link you provided suggests using the following cars to dial in FFB ... Stock Car Brasil, V8, Formula Vee, Formula Trainer and Caterham Superlight. I did so at Oulton Park.

Step 1
    I got the Stock Car and V8 feeling good. Somewhat heavy, but not too heavy (as suggested in the second link provided) I could feel what the car was doing.

Step 2
    I switched to the Vee, using the same FFB settings, and it was extremely light feeling. I couldn't feel what was happening with the car. F-Trainer and Superlight were better than the Vee but still felt too light and couldn't feel what the car was doing.

Step 3
    So I adjusted the FFB so the Vee, F-Trainer and Superlight felt good. I could feel what the car was doing. Then switched back to the Stock Car and V8. Well, these now felt way too heavy.

I'm ok with cars feeling different from each other (they should) as long as I can still feel what the car is doing. After all, that's the point of FFB. Now, I realize the FFB is still in development. It would be amazing if they could get it to a point where I can set the FFB once and never touch it again. BUT, if they can't, please allow an easy way to save FFB settings per car.

TLDR - If FFB feels good on the Stock Car and V8 than the Vee, F-Trainer and Superlight feel too light. If the FFB feels good on Vee, F-Trainer and Superlight then the Stock Car and V8 feel too heavy. So, I'd like to save FFB settings per car.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Marc Collins

This is normal at this stage--the cars you identified as heavy are the heaviest. The issue is how much difference is there? There should be some noticeable bordering on annoying difference. If it is a large difference where one set becomes undriveable or "bad," then your FFB settings are probably not optimized. The balance between Gain and LFB can shrink or enlarge the differences between cars.

6. ijac

ijac Member

@Marc Collins How do you use the Gain and LFB to shrink the difference between cars?

By the way, for the Vee, F-Trainer and Superlight I had to increase the Gain and/or LFB by 10 or 20 to get them to feel good. It felt like the difference between the Stock Car and these cars was too big. I have no problem with the idea that one car should feel heavier than another. But I should be able to feel what either car is doing. I'd love any tips you have on how to go about optimizing my FFB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Marc Collins

Start at Gain 50/LFB 50 and FX 25. Then try large differences in LFB up and down (all the way to 100 and down to 0) to see how it affects the feel/realism as well as Gain/weight in the wheel. Then try to "balance" the two. Usually, raising LFB requires lowering Gain and vice versa. I have recently been told and just experimented that FX also affects the steering weight and feel (I didn't think it did previously, just the road effects). Try it also by going from 25 to 50 and then 25 to 0 to feel what it does.

The entire time, you have to prevent "clipping," which is where the wheel will feel flat or numb, but also heavy. There is so much force being transmitted to the wheel that it just tops out because it cannot accurately replicate the forces. Gain increases will often feel great in the moment, but then as more extreme forces are encountered, clipping will occur and ruin the otherwise nice feel/settings.

8. 250swb

250swb Active Member

I get the impression Reiza consider this a bug and they intend to correct in future updates, not to make it a feature of the game.

9. Coanda

Coanda aahhh whinge whinge f@#ken whinge.. Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

For me personally I would prefer to only set one gain & ffb strength per sim and this should be sufficient for all vehicles.. Where it is not maybe suggests to me there is a underlying physics/data issue. I have never understood why so many users try to make each vehicle feel the same weight in FFB. Even in a single series like ACC GT3 users have requested this.. It makes no sense to me trying to make each vehicle feel the same especially when you have a single class of vehicles that have Mid Front, Mid Rear and Rear mounted engines whilst having a DOR range between 480-800 degrees. I have even seen users telling others to do silly things like change the castor angle to further increase the wheel weight etc.. Castor angle if implemented correctly alters the cars balance and furthermore camber gain. Wheelbase damper & friction aside, some cars have a lighter feeling and others don't and I would like to try and replicate that feeling as best as possible..

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Marc Collins

Agree 100%, if we were all using the same hardware. Since the hardware varies so dramatically in strength and quality, Reiza can only come close and avoid the chasing tail syndrome you describe. There will always be a need for small adjustments per car, as there was in AMS1.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

Differences in FFB among cars may be fine for lower-force wheels but, those differences may be much greater with more powerful hardware. I don't want all cars to share the same FFB characteristics but, I know there is a optimum level where I like the FFB-strength to be. It can vary some but, not wildly.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Petrolhead

Petrolhead Member AMS2 Club Member

Totally disagree, you do need to set each car

13. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I respect your opinion. <3

14. vortex

vortex Member

The problem with setting FFB for each car is that you’re making the car feel the way you want it to rather than how it should feel. You should be able to dial your wheel in to the sim and let the car/suspension physics make the difference with what you feel. Some cars naturally feel much heavier than others and, in my opinion, we shouldn’t be adjusting the FFB to make them feel lighter.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. tpw

tpw Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

FFB is a pretty personal taste. Some people would like to get the maximum dynamic range out of their wheels (particularly if they're not powerful wheels), for each vehicle. PC2 allowed mapping of FFB gain to wheel buttons to make it easy to adjust on the fly. AMS1 allowed you to do it via real feel. I'm hoping AMS2 eventually implements something along these lines. If you don't want to use such a system you don't have to, and those that want to can. Everyone's a winner.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Dean Ogurek

Forced realism seems like a bad idea to me. :p:D

The bigger issue is that with some cars, we currently have to reduce Gain value by 10-15 just to be able to drive the car and not have the driving us. That's a problem in a lot of games, and it is in AMS1 as well. In fact, I'd be hard-pressed to think of one title where I don't need to have different profiles or change Gain settings for some cars. It's so much easier when we have a way to adjust force levels (RR / rF2), either in the car-setup or on the fly (AC / Pcars2).

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. vortex

vortex Member

Although it’s only one class of cars, ACC is set-and-forget for me with the FFB. The individual car models then make the feel noticeably different for each car.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Dean Ogurek

Fair point but, I haven't spent much time playing ACC. In AC, I've often adjusted FFB on the fly, whether it be for setup changes, FFB setting changes, Steering system changes, etc. It's really a very elegant solution that allows excellent flexibility and fine tuning.

19. vortex

vortex Member

That’s fine as long as you don’t mind that a car doesn’t necessarily feel realistic, it just feels how you, personally, like it to feel.

20. cuadolo

cuadolo Active Member

My humble opinion: too much torque may be dangerous on specific wheels.
    My G27 has bad issue with the overheating and the encoder has gone.
    From that moment I prefer to have a settable amount of FFB for every car, to not over charging the hardware.:):)