1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Car headlights behind kill frame rate in VR

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by BazzaLB, Jun 12, 2021.

1. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Well-Known Member

Is anyone actually able to run a race at night OR in the rain (when other cars headlights are on) in the middle of the pack in VR?

I have an 11900K and 3080 and I still cant run a race at night or in the rain in the middle of the pack. I can start a race in any conditions without any problems, but the moment a few cars get behind me (with headlights on), I start to get stutter. It seems related to car headlights casting shadows from behind. The more cars close behind, the worse it is. If I am at the very back of the pack its perfectly fine.

I can run everything pretty much maxed out during the day or even at sunset (prior to headlights switching on) without issue, but at night or in the rain in the middle of the pack its a stutter fest. Rain is so bad that even with EVERYTHING set to LOW, its a stutter fest the moment a couple of cars end up close behind.

Is this a common issue? Other car headlights when behind seem ridiculously over taxing.

2. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Well-Known Member

OK, I settled on having "Detailed Grass" OFF and MSAA OFF, everything else High except "Track Detail" Ultra. This gives me full frame rate (90hz) at night or in rain whilst mid pack. This is with a Vive Pro btw.

If I am not racing when other cars headlights will be on (ie day time/dusk), then I can pretty much run everything full except MSAA at Medium.

Happy enough with this. Would love to see some optimisation on car headlights shadow casting.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Kevin del Campo

Kevin del Campo Active Member

Couple threads about this already.
    Seems like lights are pretty resource heavy.

4. MarcG

MarcG Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I might try with MSAA off, long since turned off the grass as i found that resource heavy even in daylight!

• Like Like x 1