1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Career mode and roadmap 2022...?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by günni, Dec 17, 2021.

1. günni

günni New Member

hi,

any news from reiza when the carrer mode will be added? or what the development roadmap 2022 looks like?

2. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

The career mode of AMS2, like described at the Steam Shoppage is planned as one of the later implementations, because obviously it needs all gears to mesh properly to result in a good experience. :)

Regarding a roadmap for 2022, further info on that will be "released when it's done" basically. Usually (not always) there are development blogs posted each month.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. günni

günni New Member

so it will be late 2022 then... :confused:

4. XettMan

XettMan Active Member

I doubt that.
    Career mode will come later I think.

5. TronLi

TronLi Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I feel like they've picked up momentum and 2022 is critical for them to deliver the rest of the season pass content. I can't see it taking too much longer for the AI to get to a good state and that is probably the most important piece that's missing before a career makes sense.

They just released the ability to manually customize the AI and reading through the AI customization thread, it is clear that there is still a lot of work to be done. However, once they figure out how to allow the addition of skins, we will probably be able to download custom seasons made by other people (complete with skins, AI personalities/names, etc.). Once that's in place, we will be flooded with cool championships.

I'm looking forward to that!

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. FS7

FS7 controller filters off please AMS2 Club Member

Imo being able to share/download custom championships made by other players would be a great addition to the game.

• Agree Agree x 7
  7. günni

günni New Member

yes, for sure.

back in the glory days of geoff crammond's grand prix 3 in the late 90s there was a very nice tool to tweak the abilities of each ai-driver with customizeable strength, aggression, error rate, constancy and much more. it was so much fun playing around with that :):rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. jusk

jusk Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm also very interested to hear what the intentions are with regard to the career mode. The claim on the Steam page is fairly ambitious to say the least! -

"The endgame for Automobilista 2 is the most comprehensive and true-to-life career mode ever designed for a racing game, connecting the game´s incredibly vast and ever-growing ensemble of Cars and Tracks into a cohesive journey across several decades of motorsports."

I can understand why it makes sense to do it later/last (and I'm completely fine with that), but would also love to hear a bit more about how Reiza envision it working, and what ideas underpin the statement above!

On one hand, the bar for a good career mode is incredibly low, so maybe it's easy to be confident - but on the other, it has almost never been done well. Has any game ever had a genuinely good career mode? Almost all detailed/interesting career modes I can think of are third party efforts based on spreadsheets run outside of games.

Ted Meat made a great video about why career modes are usually bad:

One key point from that is that almost all careers focus exclusively on the player, and lead you up a ladder in a fairly linear way - instead of creating a 'living world' of teams and drivers where things happen that are not related to or influenced by you.

9. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi

Or good old NR2003 and all its mods :D

NR2003-GTP mod.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  10. XettMan

XettMan Active Member

@jusk
    I do not expect a joyfull motivating career mode.
    I expect a crap like in ACC.
    So I hope I am completely wrong and Reiza implements an "okayish" career mode which would be much much better than that boring thing in ACC.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. jusk

@XettMan I think an attempt at an 'okayish' career mode could in some ways actually be easier than another blinkered PCars/ACC/F120xx/whatever else clone. I guess plenty of people must like those to some extent, but I'd argue that there's a gap in the market for something that's not about cut scenes and inane fake social media messages from 'fans' and making one or two decisions a year (i.e. whether to change team/series or not). I.e. something more about creating a vaguely plausible 'world' where you can play a part in a wider unfolding story, which may or may not be 'successful', but will be immersive and interesting - and as you said, motivating. It doesn't need fancy presentation, it needs depth and some customisability to let the community flesh it out.

12. FS7

FS7 controller filters off please AMS2 Club Member

I'm probably minority with my idea of career mode, but I'd love to see a career mode where I just drive the car, no emails, no car developing, no management stuff, no story, no cutscenes, just drive the damn car and do my best to win the championship.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

This already exists, it's called "Custom Championship".

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. jusk

That's just a single standalone year though, not a career. If you compare it to most sports games for example, it's like having season mode but no career mode. It's not really the same experience.

But in essence, just allowing linked seasons with some changes to driver lineups, circuit calendars, etc - might not be that huge of an ask (development wise), and would be a step in the direction I think we (i.e. people interested in career modes) are hoping for.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  15. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Active Member

I like all those background things. In fact when I watch races on tv I usually end up supporting the driver with the backstory who didnt have 'daddy' paying for his career.. who had to fight to get the parts for his car, who had to get finance that wasnt anywhere near enough, who had to win despite everything.

16. XettMan

XettMan Active Member

I would like to have the classic from zero to hero style.
    Start with a crappy used 5.000 credits vehicle and earn your progress step by step.

But I doubt Reiza has this vision.
    I think they will try a more "mature" way.
    Without earning credits and spend it for repairs, cars, starting fees etc.

I really would like to have a serious simulation physics wise, combined with a gamey career mode.

But we will see in the future what path Reiza has chosen.

• Like Like x 1
  17. TronLi

I like to have a bunch of things to do in racing games and felt that Project CARS 2's attempt at single player was ok. Coupled with AMS2's custom AI there is huge potential.

Currently in Assetto Corsa there are a few career mods that are fun additions to the many custom championships available (or that you make yourself). One is ironically a clone of the PC2 style and a new one is called Assetto Corsa Evoluzione, which is a Gran Turismo style addition.

I don't need cut scenes either but would love to see something based on the custom AI. Like names that you constantly see as your career progresses and skills that increase/decrease as the seasons progress.

• Like Like x 1
  18. jusk

@TronLi agree the potential is there - I started to make a basic little career app for AC last year that works with Content Manager (see thread on RD here). It's shelved for the moment, but it was trying to do some of things I'd like to see in AMS2 - though I realise that may be wishful thinking.

• Like Like x 1
  19. TronLi

That sounds really cool. I'm glad there are several choices for AC career mode and I really think AMS2 is going to nail it later this year.

One reason I like the idea of a career mode (like in PC2) is it provides an opportunity for the developers to show off the engine with custom weather, etc. I can't imagine many people change the default time of day/weather options very often. I generally leave them as-is, pick a car and a track and just drive. So for me, I really enjoy scenarios created by others.

We have real historic weather for simulating races which I really like and current weather which is also cool. However, some people enjoy finding nice times to take screenshots, etc. They play around with the time of year and time of day to get nice combinations of sun position/angle, which I wouldn't take the time to do and consequently, would miss out on.

I also enjoy challenges, probably engrained from Gran Turismo but they provide something to do and people like me see a list and want to cross everything off lol. I don't get that feeling from Steam trophies though, not sure why.

• Like Like x 1
  20. TronLi

I'd be happy with:
    1. PC2-style freeform career mode with AMS2's custom AI that changes based on season results
    2. Running seasons for custom championships
    3. Lap time trophy challenges
    4. Some sort of scripted campaign* (e.g. Fittipaldi/Piquet/Senna's career)

(*bonus if users could make their own campaigns, which would essentially be a set of seasons of custom championships containing different classes and drivers with the ability to add one-off races in between)

^so we could have Jim Clark's career for example, containing touring cars, sports cars, F2, F1, Le Mans, Indy, etc., potentially all in the same season (those were the days...).

• Agree Agree x 1