1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Caterham 620R Brit Pack Doubleheader, Sunday Dec 18

Discussion in 'Fan Sites & Community Events' started by Koba, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Koba

Koba Active Member AMS2 Club Member

(Edit: We have changed the event a little since I originally posted this)

Sorry for the late notice, but on Sunday the Phoenix Racing Club are going to run a couple of fun races in the Caterhams:

Caterham 620R at Oulton Park (Island Circuit) - 20 minute race
    Caterham 360R at Cadwell Park - 20 minute race

When you join the server you will be able to choose either the 620R or the 360R. For the first race choose the 620R. At the end of the first race you need to leave the server and then re-join the server and remember to switch to the 360R.

Open server, no sign-up required, just show up at the right time. Get some practice in and set a time on our server (Phoenixracingclub.net) and see how your lap times compare on our Live Racers page. Not required but it's best if you get on TeamSpeak for news or instructions. Find the TeamSpeak link on our home page: Phoenix Racing Club.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  2. hashegotabeard

hashegotabeard Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Count me in for this one. Love me some Cats. :)

3. Rodders

Rodders Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Aye sounds fun. Not driven the mental 620R in anger but will try and make this one too.

4. Koba

Cool, the more the merrier.

OK we've changed the event a little since I first posted it. We are going to switch cars between races.

Caterham 620R at Oulton Park (Island Circuit) - 20 minute race
    Caterham 360R at Cadwell Park - 20 minute race

When you join the server you will be able to choose either the 620R or the 360R. For the first race choose the 620R. At the end of the first race you need to leave the server and then re-join the server and remember to switch to the 360R.

5. hashegotabeard

Seeing as you're open to slight tweaks can I be cheeky and suggest considering the 'Classic' layout for the 620R at Oulton instead?

With the 620's biggest selling point over the other variations being it's power, it seems a shame to stunt it with the Island Bend and then Hislops (which neutralises Knickerbrook).

The Classic has that long straight which should provide good slipstreaming battles and makes Knickerbrook a lot more scary. You still get a hairpin via Shell, albeit not as tight.

I just think that layout suits the 620R with it's high speeds and slightly reduced cornering.

Having the Superlight/sport (which ever is the 360R) would be nice too if the next release is up before Sunday but that's just superficial. :)

6. Koba

I love the Classic layout, and I agree the 620R is more fun to drive on the Classic layout. However, we chose the Island layout because the lap time is significantly shorter. It's 7.5 seconds faster for me. We don't have real big fields in our races so people get spread out, and a shorter lap means people are less likely to be driving all alone. :D

The Superlight is supposed to be the same car as the current 360R (Renato confirmed the current 360R is race spec in street trim), but the Superlight feels racier to me, so I think they've tweaked it a bit, and it's my favorite Caterham now, so I'd like to race it too.

7. hashegotabeard

Fair enough, guv.

I did some brief testing 'round Cadwell and the AI seemed to be 3-5 tenths quicker in the Superlight. I agree it feels a tad racier but I did a test race of 20 mins in the 360R and that was still a lot of fun.

The 360/superlight has the perfect balance of speed and handling that makes it acessable but still difficult enough to get everything from. It can produce incredible pack racing.

Tried the 620R at Cadwell too and thought it was still great fun, more of a wrestling match though. As long as it's a Caterham of some description, I'm there.

8. Koba

Fantastic races! We were having so much fun we added a 3rd race.

Several people asked about doing these cars on a regular basis. We're thinking maybe every Wednesday night we'll do short sprint races with Brit Pack and other fun to drive cars. I'd like to do a short Sunday league with four events, running the Caterham Superlight (the upcoming replacement to the 360R), MCR S2000, Formula Trainer Advanced, and the Ultima GTR Race. And each event will feature two 20 minute races (at different tracks). So that's four events, four cars, doing eight races at eight tracks. I'll see if I can get others onboard with this plan.

Simresults for all three races here:
    http://simresults.net/161218-C57

[​IMG]