Controller Presets woes...

Discussion in 'Automobilista - Help & Support' started by Gilles Lalonde, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Gilles Lalonde

Gilles Lalonde MotherDawg

Hi everyone,

Question! What does Importing a Controller Preset do ?

When I load one, nothing changes!

I can have one with some Sensitivities set to 30-40% and another with the Sensitivities set to 55-65%, that I load one or the other... nothing changes. The in game Sensitivities stays at 50%.
    The Force Feedback Effects, that I load a Preset with the "FFB Effects Level" set to 2 or set 3, nothing changes.
    If I load one with the Pause key set to the Spacebar or one with the Pause set to the P key, nothing changes.
    That I change "FFB Device Type" from 1 to 2, it stays to Wheel, it does not change to Joystick.

That's fairly broken!

My other question since Presets don't work, which of the Controller.ini file is the master? The one in the Root or the one in the Player's folder. Which one do I need to edit so the game uses what I want it to use?

And how does the "controller preset loads.txt" work?

I'm sure you guys, Reiza, understand that quitting the game each time I want to change a settings is no fun.

Thank You.
    We all like the sim guys... I'm in the gold Caterham

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  2. alexSchmurtz

alexSchmurtz Active Member AMS2 Club Member

The presets are only there for the first time you enter the game; they give a base instead of having to map everything and tweak the settings. But then they do nothing: you need to make 2 profiles and can switch in game. And you can adjust the FFB in game, I don't understand why you feel you need to exit?
    If you run the game as admin it will read the files located in the game root folder; if you're not an admin it will be in Your Documents.

3. Gilles Lalonde

Gilles Lalonde MotherDawg

Thank for replying Alex,

How can I switch between 2 Presets in game ?
    Using the Import button does not change anything.
    Yes I run Admin and Steam / AMS is installed on a different physical drive then the System drive.

Either for the purposes testing game settings or just changing to a Preset that has different set of sensitivities and other not in game modifiable settings:
    Trying to see on the fly how if adjusting "FFB steer force exponent" changes the feel. Same for "FFB steer friction coefficient" & "FFB steer damper coefficient"
    Sometimes, I over countersteer and spin the car in the other direction. Making the wheel a tad stiffer helps a lot with that. IRL, giving a shot of countersteer is hard, one has to accelerate/move lots of masses to quickly point the wheel toward the opposite direction and quickly come back. Since Friction induces latency, Damping is better but, from mod to mod, the FFB changes and testing between a Friction of 0.05000 and a Damping of 0.50000 vs 0.10000 and 0.25000, right now, one has to quit the game, switch the file and then restart.

So how do you switch between 2 Presets while in the game ?

4. alexSchmurtz

alexSchmurtz Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I can only think of doing a second profile: you can switch profile so you could use different settings. You'd still have to go back to the start screen then load the track again... But I never tried! Maybe someone will have a better idea.
    Did you already have a look at Renato's post about ffb? that might help you finding a magic setup? :)