1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Couple of my ideas, mostly visual

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Sektor, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Sektor

Sektor Member

1. Tire smoke. Just give it opacity 50%, so it doesn't look like chemitrails.

2. Helmet reflections. They don't look good.
    [

3. Main issue: setup options. Here are few suggestions:

Make the screen all black (or some other color) like in AMS1, it's easier to focus. For more user friendly interface, drop those 4 digit numbers that mean very little to most players, rather ad steps (like in AMS1, that was a good game!). You can even have a visual indicator is your car on the stiff or the soft side. IMO that would help a lot to navigate and use advanced setup menu.

[

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Cfst

Cfst Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I quite like the setup there is now, I can't think I'd be the only one disappointed if they dropped what is indicated here as clutter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Sektor

Sektor Member

You can find your way much easier in the scale 1 -10 than in the scale 2100N/m/s - 3200N/m/s

Edit: this is clearly in the style of PC2 setup screen.

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. TekNeil

TekNeil Take me back to the 2.4l, twin 50 weber days...

And that's a good thing IMO. In real life you don't set damper rates at 1-10 unless you're using run of the mill consumer (Rate adjustable) coilover suspension and not taking things too seriously.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Gordie

Gordie Active Member

I agree with @Sektor and @TekNeil so lets go for both, steps and actual rate, job done :D

• Like Like x 1
  6. Sektor

Sektor Member

@TekNeil it's good that this is not a real life but a video game, where you click with your mouse left and right.

7. TekNeil

TekNeil Take me back to the 2.4l, twin 50 weber days...

I mean, if you want to talk semantics, it's a racing simulator. Not a boy racer putting coilovers on his road car simulator.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Sektor

Sektor Member

It's stil clicking the mouse. It wasn't well designed in PC2, it isn't here either. AMS had it solved very good.

Edit: As Gordie said, i would like to have an option.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
  9. Coanda

Coanda aahhh whinge whinge f@#ken whinge.. Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I don't agree with the clutter and steps on the setup UI. I would prefer to see real values and units as much as possible and it is great there is no NDA in place for the current vehicles.. For vehicles in the same class it will also help to see what true spring rates, dampers and ARB of each vehicle has and If they alter it to only display steps (ie. 8) how the hell do we know what that translates into and what the difference is between each vehicle for lets say the GT3 class when it arrives..

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Well, I am more into steps. It makes it easier for non-technical people too. While I love the real deal too, it's just too confusing. Steps are easier to remember aswell.

11. Gordie

Gordie Active Member

That's why I suggested having both for the dampers. At least at a glance you can tell whether they're set soft or stiff, without having to change it to see what the maximum or minimum is for each car.

12. Coanda

Coanda aahhh whinge whinge f@#ken whinge.. Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

whats confusing about it..? I don't suppose you want camber, castor, and toe angles in steps too.. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Sektor

Sektor Member

How about aero?

But lets says Reiza makes both versions, and we drive a car, and the car understeers. We go loosen rear springs or whatever. So we both click the mouse left one click. It's the same action. But i would say it's easier to remember that you went from 12 to 11, than 2400 N/m/s to 2150 N/m/s. Oh, and the visual indicator that tells you where you are in the range of that setup, that would be nice too.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Peter Stefani

Peter Stefani Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Can we just have a selection to use the format we prefer. Clearly we'll never get everyone to agree on just one format.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Cfst

Cfst Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Perhaps a toggle like suggested a above, or/and tooltips. Real values and tooltips can work. Now without tooltips I am like: 'Lets try step 5 and see what it does' instead of lets click this which I do not know what it means and feel what it does and completely forgot about the setting I used, etc. Oof I've to poop. Sorry.. Can't finish ...

I am back.. It's easier to remember steps than real values when driving and tuning same car or perhaps a different car on different or same tracks. I can use these steps a bit with every other car too. 12 bump in a Caterham is nearly the same thing as in a F-Trainer for example.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Gordie

Gordie Active Member

At the end of the day, the suggestion of adding steps/clicks isn't detracting anything from a realism perspective. It's not like the adjusters on any of these race dampers IRL are analogue, (otherwise it would be almost impossible for the engineer to know what they are set at) they are adjusted by clicks on a scale of zero to whatever the manufacturer has stipulated as per their manual, quite often 10. Hence why a lot of other sims use clicks and actual values.
    While it's great to see the damper values, I doubt that adding steps/clicks alongside this information is worth this huge debate of whether it's a sim or game with such a minor additional feature.

18. Wolfgang Herold

Wolfgang Herold I Like Liveries :) AMS2 Club Member

its a sim, not a simple game.
    Technical values should be as real as possible.
    In teletubie land its cold, warm, a bit warmer, hot, very hot, burning.
    nice, but please let us use exact values and units

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Peter Stefani

I'll go even further and say that sometimes you might want steps for simplicity and ease, but if and when you may want to use an analyzer tool such as MOTEC or RST, it's way more beneficial to have the Nmm values. And another example of a good work-around is like in AC where the in-game shows steps, but if you look in CM, you can set it to Nmm and get all the values that way. So, if a SIM has the data, and it's just a matter of how they have provided a selection of display (or maybe a licensing issue possibly) they would benefit all users with a selection to display the values whatever way the user desires. If that can be done without breaking some licensing rules.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Peter Stefani

I'm just happy that we can now move the HUD elements around. Especially the split times and such. They were awfully hard to see with a gray background with green/red numbers on a clear sky.