1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Custom Championship Still Needs a Lot of Work

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Tranzitive, Aug 6, 2021.

1. Tranzitive

Tranzitive New Member

So I picked up this game a month or two ago. Overall very impressed. Decided to create a 12 round custom championship using the GTE cars, GT3, and GT4 cars. Just finished the last race and ... absolutely nothing. No indication that I won the championship, no animation or podium celebration or anything.

On top of that the championship doesn't even end and allow you to restart it. Going back in to the championship simply takes me to the actual race part of the last race, with practice and qualy complete. So if I want to restart the championship but with let's say a different car, this is impossible.

Okay, so let me go make a new championship since there are some things I want to edit about my previous custom one, such as the race length, car classes etc. (realized having GT4 cars in there was a bad idea as they are really slow). But now my custom championship doesn't come up in the list of championships! So if I want to start a new custom championship, I have to go through all the trouble of creating an entirely new one completely from the beginning!

Why is my custom championship not in the championship list? Why can't I simply edit it if I want, rather than creating a whole new one from the beginning? Why is there no option to duplicate your championship if you want to edit it? Why does a custom championship basically never end, and why can't you even restart it if you want?

The above are all really basic things that really should be in the game already.

The championships in general I think need a lot of work. They added GTE cars but there is no option for a GTE championship. For the GT3 championship, there is no option to do multiclass with GT4 cars and there is no way to edit the championship to add them.

Hopefully the championships are given a bit more thought and effort in the future. At the moment the game remains basically a 'single race' game, unfortunately.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Squalido

Squalido New Member

I agree that championships and custom championships still need a little bit more of love, especially considering that for the moment devs have been very focused in improving the game for single-player. Some of the improvements needed (some of them already mentioned by OP):
    1) Being able to edit and duplicate created custom championships.
    2) Close completed championships. That loop mentioned by OP of having the championship stuck at the last race is kind of annoying. It is not game breaking and we can live with that, but it would be nice to have that fixed.
    3) Support for individual standings in multi-class championships. Right now points are awarded by general position and there are no points or standings per class. Considering that we have some endurance cars that can be used for multi-class this would be a nice improvement.
    4) Being able to create/design our own points system instead of having to select one of the pre-created.

I don't agree that the game is a single race only, as championships are working decently and Reiza put a lot of work in them, but some nice quality of life improvements like those mentioned above would take it to the next level.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 1
  3. R00bDriver

R00bDriver Member

I haven't messed about with the custom championship too much, but, can you enforce mandatory pitstops ?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Doesn't seem to work, not for timed races which I do. You can increase the fuel and tyre wear multipliers though. I have it at 5x so for 30 min races the AI have to pit as well.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. R00bDriver

R00bDriver Member

OK thanks I'll have to play around with it myself!

It would be good to be able to enforce a pit stop , and either a change of tyres or fuel etc..

Thanks for the info

6. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

No worries, hopefully they throw some more features at the CC.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. Sparviero

Sparviero Member

IMHO the big problem is that is not possible to choice the AI cars. Why the editor pick custom/fictional liveries instead of real one that are still available? Why in multiclass championship I've got a couple of car for one class and tens for another? Just le me select against which car racing, please...

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Matus Celko

Matus Celko Active Member

Shameless self-plug :)

Maybe my little app can help those who would like to have little more flexibility in custom championships, while Reiza implements more features (which I'm sure they will, as AMS 1 has one of the best custom championships builders ;) ).

Second Monitor - Timing/Telemetry App

One of the features of the app is custom championship framework, which I tried to build to be flexible and easy to use.

In championships definition you can define a custom calendar, generate a random calendar, or pick a template from DB of real motosport calendars. You can define own scoring, including scores for fastest lap.

You can chose distance to be either time, laps, or race distance(i.e. what F1 uses, the app will automatically calculate the required laps to acheive the race). But the distance is there just for your information and is not enforced, so you can also run a mix of sprint and endurence events.

You can also allow things like class changes, so you can i.e. run a custom historic F1 championships ,but each even with a car from different era.

Running an event should also be straightforward... no need to mess with logs, or anything similar. Just start any session (even practice, or qualy), and simply pick a championship you would like to run. The scores will be updated automatically once you cross the finish line in race.

Running Championship Event · Wiki · Matus Celko / SecondMonitor · GitLab :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. leggy2fast

leggy2fast Artist and amateur racer!

I don't mind the plug, just wanted to say Second Monitor is amazing and I love it <3 Thanks for the amazing work on that tool! I literally have a second monitor to the right of my screen and it's good to have all that delicious handy data at hand. Keep it up!

• Friendly Friendly x 1