1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tarmac Terrorist

Tarmac Terrorist Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

After trying this out on my friends steam account and having driven the original, after the last update i decided to buy it for my birthday on Monday, and I am having a great time!

Ive been racing games and sims since TOCA WTC's & Still have my physical copy of Nascar 2003, and i am loving this!

What I am hoping to see over the course of development is a really impressive damage system, I don't know if there is much focus on this but I would love it! Looking back the best damage systems ive seen have been in GTR 2 (Bits breaking of, bits denting, punctures, wheels coming off, wings, splitters, engine damage, all performance impacting and visua), Richard Burns Rally (Cracked windscreens, Dents, wheels getting knocked out of alinement making the car crab, amazing performace impacting damage like, loosing pressure from head gasket when abusing the engine, clutch damage were you would reaklly feel that clutch slip, brake damage the lot! And carried over to next stage!) Certain Rfactor 1 mods (the Historic touring cars mod took full advantage of what could be done with the RF damage model, bits coming off, dents from small to really large and on the point of contact, wheels coming off punctures). All of these examples at their full settings were also quite true to life in terms of serverity. Some sim's and games have features like this but you can still drive the car after hitting a wall head on at 80 mph, NO! Not even at 30 should that happen in most vehicels. Rfactor 2 has some damage to it, but its less than what Rfactor 1 had, suspension damage is very good though, damage it badly and you really have to slow down to nurse it back to the pits, car becomes less and less stable as speed increase's. I've had to drive a car with a broken spring and this is quite realistic, you can certainly tell which shock is bust.

Some folks don't seem to be bothered about damage, I think its very important, amkes you drive in a very different way if you have full damage and you know what the consequences are. Plus if you want an easy race just for fun, you can always turn it off! Also knowing its there makes you feel very proud when you finish a race (whatever place you come in at) and you're car is in pristeen condition! Also with visual damage if you're drining round and you come up on a car thats still running and not severly damaged mechanically but its got dents and scratches on most of the panels, you then know to give it a wide birth on the over take as its probably an aggressive driver. Also if you come up on a car with quarter of the back end knocked in and a rear wheel missing or badly out of position and its crawling along the track, you know its very badly disabled and you are safe to just whizz past, its not just someone driving slow for an unknow reason who may hit the gas as soon as you get near them and cause you a problem. Another this most sims don't do was what GTR2 did, broken headlights! You might bump another car and knock out a headlight, or both headlights depending on the impact, headlights are a very important thing in the dark, so they should be looked after, same with wing mirrors!

The only sim ive not had the oppertunity to drive is iracing, this is for a couple of reasons, but looking at what they have done with their damage model they are now streets ahead of the crowd in terms of this particular feature. Aother thing with damage is that if you do happen to have a massive crash during your race and you're gutted you did'nt make it to the end, at least you've got a really impressive visual to look back on in the replay! Btw, saved replays are not in the game yet, I hope they will be?

Anyway, thanks Reiza, really enjoying you're product even with the bits that dont work yet, and v much looking forward to where you take this, recent updates have made great improvements, all going in the right direction!

• Agree Agree x 6
  2. Tarmac Terrorist

Great things seem to be happening damage wise in the new update, v pleased!

3. Tarmac Terrorist

Ha, actually picked up some brake damage in the Lancer after the last update, brakes started squeeking like warped discs and lost some stopping ability after a shunt, anyone else experienced this?

4. David Wright

David Wright Active Member AMS2 Club Member

In PC2 front damage affected engine and brake cooling. I wonder if this is what you experienced?

5. Gordie

Gordie Active Member

Whilst I haven't experienced any damage like you have I firmly believe that Reiza will take full advantage of what's available with this engine.
    I had a quick race in the Caterham Superlights last night where a car had hit the wall at some point, losing wheels and parts. To my surprise, the debris remained on the track for the duration of the race and of course I couldn't help myself and had to run over it to see what happened. Unfortunately it didn't damage the car (I don't think) but I could hear that I had hit something which is a good start.
    Hopefully at some point hitting debris such as this will cause damage to aero and/or cause punctures etc. Would also be great if incidents causing debris on track would trigger a full course yellow during a race.
    Whilst on this subject I'd like to see advanced tyre damage such as flat spots, overheating, punctures/blow outs and even wheel damage from striking large kerbs. I believe the Madness Engine is capable such details so we can live in hope :)

• Like Like x 4
  6. Tarmac Terrorist

I hope so mate, iracing now has the feature where you wanna be avoiding debris. Also to further my point, im just gunna leave this reply i just posted in the rfactor2 forums reguarding damage, i think its something really important thats missing from sims at the moment:

"Just to add, if you look at the thread about Greatest Sim Of All Time here, GTR2 comes up all the time, not saying it to did'nt have its probelms but amongst the many things it got right, realistic damage was one of them, and with live broadcasts it would be a massive advantage and pull to have!

Im a dreamer man! But im not the only one!"

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Mahjik

Mahjik Active Member

The Madness engine has support for a very detailed damage model. However, that is typically one of the last things to tweak after they have gotten the physics finalized on the cars. i.e. you don't want to still be tweaking the cars and getting feedback from the community and trying to figure out if the feedback is tainted from damage or an issue with the physics.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

Talking of damage, is it still recommended to have damage and mechanical failures set to OFF?

9. Mahjik

Mahjik Active Member

I don't think there is guidance provided in this area. However, I would recommend that if you do enable the damage features, if you experience a physics related issue that you run the same test with damage disabled. This way before reporting it to the devs you'll know if what you experienced is damage related or physics related.

• Like Like x 2
  10. ahpigsy

ahpigsy Member

Any information as to development work on the damage system?

11. farcar

farcar Well-Known Member

I'd love for (the option to have) completely realistic damage even if it can't be 100% represented visually.
    As in, clouting a wall or spinning and being t-boned by someone with sufficient force will totally immobilise the car and end your session.
    It would change the way I approach racing.

I'm a big fan of BeamNG and while I realise it's primary focus is damage, not being a racing sim on the same level as AMS2 - I would love a proper racing sim to follow its approach to damage.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. John Hargreaves

John Hargreaves Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I know when beta first started we were told to run with damage off, but I'm not sure where we are on that, anyone?

13. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Mechanical wear and damage can be run full on now (since about 5 builds ago).

As @Mahjik points out above, this is a super complex and resource-intensive process to properly program every detail on every car, so don't assume it will be all polished for quite a while yet. But the basics work fine and as with all aspects of AMS 2, some cars are farther along than others.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Shadak

Shadak Active Member

Hi mate are you the person running the Potato server in rF2? Planning to move to AMS2 eventually? I feel like this is finally slmething close in terms of physics and ffb (custom).

15. Tarmac Terrorist

Hi Shadak!

Yes mate I am indeed! Its been just RF2 up until now however ive got some good news, i may soon be able to run multiple servers and platforms with help from a friend. POTATO has not been live of recent, but as ive been very busy with vids and setting up a dedicated, also my PC which i started all this on is getting worse and worse, black out shut downs are very regular now, and seeing as i have zero cash to spend im relying purely on what i already have and help and donations from friends.

Yes I would love to run an AMS2 server, and i may be doing that from time to time now, on this machine seeing as the RF2 server is running on the dedicated machine, ive been very much enjoying AMS2 recently (however the ghost car practice sessions really grind my gears).

If you ever see POTATO in the AMS2 servers jump in and lets have a race!

Here is a link to whats going on with the server right at this moment: POTATO (Pickup & Play public server)

Also, if you're interested here is my first ever AMS - RF2 comparison video

Ive been working hard on the channel as im hoping i can start earning a little cash from it to fund the whole POTATO project, hence why the server has not always been active recently cause i can't run a server and video edit at the same time for risk of massive shutdowns, but now we have the dedicated server in my friend Petes house who has already had a play with a dedicated AMS2 server, so we're getting there!

At the moment I am really enjoying Curvelo Long, what an amzing track! Great with the P cars!

16. alink

alink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

keep calm!
    If not recogniced, the car models are still (except Caterham) one complete model. As long as the model is a single model no parts can fall off. With the Caterham REIZA started to make single models for hood, mirrors, and so on because now they are shaking and vibrating. This is only possible if it's a model itself and not combined with the rest. Once they have seperated all parts of the car as a single model (and the more small models one part has the more detailed damage model can be realised) we will get a good damage system. How complex it will be is depending on the effort REIZA will do, but hopes will die at last...

17. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

Damage is on in Time trial regardless of your own settings. Even a light tap on a lap will compromise your next!
    In setup if you run at full turbo boost, with little air to engine cooling it will blow the motor after a few laps.

18. Wolfgang Herold

Wolfgang Herold I Like Liveries :) AMS2 Club Member

sure? This does not look like a Caterham
    AMS2 - Screenshots

19. alink

alink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

OK, for example the Caterhams... be not always so correct :)
    REIZA updated also some other cars but not all. But before getting detailed damage, every single part which can be damaged and brake away has to be a single model.

20. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

That would make sense for TT, otherwise some people would have an advantage based on their settings. Must go with the lowest common denomiator.

• Agree Agree x 1