Dedicated Server on Windows Root Server invisible in game and on steam

Discussion in 'Automobilista - Help & Support' started by holzi_1981, Jul 5, 2016.

1. holzi_1981

holzi_1981 New Member

HI all,

i have following problem and maybe someone can support me to solve that issue...

I running the AMS Dedicated Server in steam on my windows root. So that´s works without any problems. Also with IP and port i can find the Server in the game. But the server is still invisible. in the serverlists (in game and in steam)

What i did i opened all ports what are necassary incl 40001 and 40002 for matchmaker..

any idea

thx

BR
    Roman

2. Jempy

Jempy Member AMS2 Club Member

Truly said .... as I had the same problem at a few first server launches .... just wait and try more than once ... and even the day after.

I didn't change anything at my files and ports after the 1st tries ..... and suddenly maybe the 11th time I launched one .... it suddenly appeared on Steam and game serverlists.
    And of course I also checked beforehand that my server might be reached with IP adress ... and it was well working.

So ... patience is for the moment the only thing possible ... maybe getting an improvement in the next days or weeks. ;)

3. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

Do you have Steam running in the background?

Edit: Actually scrap that, you shouldnt need the Steam app running anyway. Its most likely down to router configuration..

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  4. holzi_1981

holzi_1981 New Member

oh so then i have to wait thx for your feedback... so you restart everytime the server again or you wait until the server is running?

5. holzi_1981

holzi_1981 New Member

Hi Renato, yes steam is running in offline mode... but also if i am online it is not working..

6. Jempy

In fact, maybe our cases are quite different:
    Our server is running on a remote server ( separate Steam Account )... as it is a league server. ... same for you or rather own PC ?

When the server was not showing in the list, I first restarted the server again a few times without more results.
    Bored ( as I was sure all ports were allright ), I began joining this working server using the + button in game multiplayer with the IP adress.
    The server was restarted a new time ... and suddenly it showed immediately in the list.
    And I really don't know how and why as I didn't change anything.

NB:
    1) oooops ... yes I added something now I remember: I opened the same 4 ports ( the ones mentioned in the manual as UDP ) also as TCP.
    But I'm not sure it was that which made it appear in the list ... as I think I still had to launch a server 2 or 3 times afterwards.

2) even with the Matchmaker not checked in the dedicated server tool ... our server is also showing in the list. ???

7. holzi_1981

holzi_1981 New Member

no it is not an own pc it is a windows root server :) so not local something...
    but thanks yes i try to "disable" the firwall but also not working so for me really strange ... hopefully i find a solution soon otherwise AMS is deleted from my server and i find an other sim game what i can host :)

8. Jempy

Then have patience ... it'll come in the list sooner or later.
    I wonder if the cause is not the matchmaking through Steam .... maybe overloaded there !??
    Or should they first control something like IP adresses or even Steam installed on the remote servers ??

But once your 1st one appears in the list ... the next servers are included very quickly.
    So it is for me anyway..

Good luck ;)

9. holzi_1981

holzi_1981 New Member

so i fixed it now topic can be closed hopefully ...
    big thanks to jempy for the answers... see you on track

10. Jempy

Happy for you, Holzi ;) ... and have good clean races on your server.

Did you do something special, as you write that you fixed it ? ....or did it come suddenly without changing anything ?

If you fixed it .... what did you do ? ... this might help others for the future ;)

11. kimbo

kimbo Member AMS2 Club Member

hi every body, please i need an oficial post about wich ports must be opened, and all their details (tcp-udp) should i make loopback? i have been reading many threads about dedicated servers, and i can not did it work, regards.

12. Erick Goldner

Erick Goldner Active Member AMS2 Club Member

The main ports are listed on the manual:

34597 UDP
    34697 UDP
    8766 UDP
    27016 UDP

I've noticed and opened on our servers as well, since it's not listed but crports always show connection on it:

34747 TCP

• Like Like x 1
  13. holzi_1981

holzi_1981 New Member

So what i did is i login with my steam account were i have the AMS game. But i didn´t download the AMS game i "only" download the AMS dedicated server from the libary...

but with that it is not working..

so i install now the game on my server and use there the AMS Dedicated and all is running immediately so in my opinion they can delete the AMSdedicated server from the libary or update it.

BR
    Roman

14. Erick Goldner

I don't think the Dedicated Tool is the culprit here, since i have 4 machines atm with 2 running the Dedicated Tool and 2 still running with the game installation.

They all show up on the list right away.

15. Jempy

Just one running ... as it's just test time ... but same as Erick, just running the Dedicated Tool on the remote server.
    NB: with personal folder additions when needed in case of mods and addon tracks.

16. kimbo

kimbo Member AMS2 Club Member

i open the ports, but it is not showing in the servers list, only in lan mode i can see it, i do not know what is the problem but thanks Erick for your answer.

17. Erick Goldner

How exactly are you starting the dedicated tool ?

I've just had the same problem you guys are having and, crazy or not, it seems to be related to the way you start the tool.

Just tested this for 30 min now and the behavior repeated on all tests, which i believe now it's the cause:

1) If i start it from Steam (Library, double click on the Automobilista - Dedicated Server) or from the Automobilista - Dedicated Server Shortcut created from the tool installation, it will NOT show on the servers list.
    Ps.: If you're using the game installation, this should happen in the same way if you click on the Play Button inside the Steam Libary!

2) If i start directly from the AMS Dedicated.exe on the installation folder (C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Automobilista - Dedicated Server\AMS Dedicated.exe), it WILL show on the servers list!

If you guys can repeat the test and confirm this, it would be great!

• Like Like x 1
  18. krusti

krusti RaceSimulatorItaly Founder AMS2 Club Member

If it could be useful i start mine servers from the various .exe links i created (server1, 2, 3 ..) in a VPS with a Steam client running in offline mode, and with the full game installed (before the Dedi Tool release). All using the Dedicated tool and not longer the full game.

PS: I did not do anything regards the ports and firewall, considering that i'm on a VPS.

19. Erick Goldner

Since you´ve created the shortcuts directly from the AMS Dedicated.exe, they are all showing on the Servers list, right?

Ps.: That's exactly what i did on all of my other servers and they're showing just fine.

20. krusti

krusti RaceSimulatorItaly Founder AMS2 Club Member

Yes, never had this kind of problems :)