1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Differential

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by alink, Apr 10, 2020.

1. alink

alink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Hi all,
    in AMS2 there're several options for setting up the differential. What do all the values mean exactly? Is there any description how to setup and use the differential?
    Because there're many discussions about understeering but with setting up the diff right understeering can be eleminated (more or less).

@REIZA: is it possible to make a graphical illumination of the diff setting, for example for the stiffness? The same for setting up the gearbox. Only to see the values is hard. A small diagramm (like in AMS1) is very helpful

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Zeraxx

Zeraxx Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Theory is on page 96

• Informative Informative x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  3. alink

that's a nice easter egg -:)
    thank you.
    No boring days anymore

4. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Would love this as a manual ingame. :p or tooltips directing to the pages or so.

5. KCW

KCW Member

The tooltips are there for some items but not all.

hopefully theyll find their way in!

6. alink

Does anybody know what's the difference (in function, not in mechanic) between the geared LSD and the clutch LSD?
    How to set up a geared LSD?

Is it really true that both can be used at the same time (like with formula classic G1), or is it a bug? I don't think so...

7. John Hargreaves

John Hargreaves Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I found this very useful

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  8. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Aiit, tooltips <3 We need this in AMS 2 :p

9. David Wright

David Wright Active Member AMS2 Club Member

The geared differential doesn't lock like a clutch pack differential - it just sends more torque to the wheel with more grip.

I think most of us are used to locking % - here are some equivalents

7:1 = 75%
    6:1 = 71%
    5:1 = 67%
    4:1 = 60%
    3.4:1 = 55%
    3:1 = 50%
    2.6:1 = 44%
    2.3:1 = 39%
    2:1 = 33%
    1.8:1 = 29%
    1.6:1 = 23%
    1.5:1 = 20%
    1.4:1 = 17%
    1.3:1 = 13%

• Like Like x 2
  10. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Internal Tester AMS2 Club Member

Do I understand from this video that in PC 2 you could equip your car with a completely unrealistic or unavailable diff just by toggling a few things in the set-up screen?

11. Mahjik

Mahjik Active Member

I'm not entirely sure what you are referring to so some detail may be needed (not that I think it matters for AMS2). But no, in general. So you don't have more diff options available for say a GT3 car than the real teams have... There may be a few areas in some of the vintage categories where the options are a little more open as there were less regulations during those times.

12. Marc Collins

So the BMW in the video example could be equipped with one of 5 different diffs in real life? ....Don't think so....

13. Mahjik

Mahjik Active Member

I'm not sure the full regulations specifications are public, but I believe you can use any diff type you want in the series but the final drive ratio dictated. If you have a direct link to the exact specifications, please share.

14. alink

Thanks for your helps
    The technics are very interessting and I found it great that REIZA implements it (it's not a game, it's a simulation).

But the option in formula classic G1 that both geared and cluth LSD are useable is wrong, it doesn't make sense, or do I misunderstand something?

15. John Hargreaves

John Hargreaves Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Just because a value might be present in the setup screen it doesn't mean you can change it if the series regs or the car don't allow it. Try making adjustments to the Fiat Uno, every value is present in the setup screen, but you can alter tyre pressure and fuel and very little else. The video explains what the diff settings do in the game, and PC2 has the tooltips that aren't present in AMS2 yet. OP was asking about diffs and that video explains what the values do. So no, you understand wrong in this instance.

16. Marc Collins

Don't think so. In AMS, and I am sure in AMS 2 when it is further along, any equipment that is not in the car is greyed-out or missing or not available to play with (in a sandbox mode). The video shows the complete ability to install and adjust any type of diff. I am not aware of any BMW road car or race car that has those options. Maybe that is a special vehicle in PC 2 and was used in the video for that reason, but otherwise, if PC 2 allows that degree of customization, it is in a "sandbox" mode rather than a "sim" mode. Nothing wrong with that, if it's on purpose, but it sure makes for incredibly complex set-up combinations and permutations when even the limited realistic ones are already confounding to most people. Or, they just didn't grey-out or disable the options that do not actually work in PC 2, which you might expect in EA, but not in the finished product.

17. Mahjik

Mahjik Active Member

That particular car in that video was a GT3 car. The question is if the regulations mandate a single differential type or if it's open for that class. I know the final drive is specifically mandated (and you cannot change it in PC2) but I don't believe there are any mandates around what type of diff can be used.

However, this part of the discussion is really outside of the realm of AMS2.

• Like Like x 1
  18. KCW

KCW Member

Yes the difference is that a clutch type diff uses clutch plates on each output side of the unit and ramps will define how abruptly it will increase locking force with a difference in wheel speeds.

A geared diff is a "Torsen" type diff (like those made by Quaife and Wavetrac) and uses a bunch of bevel gears to achieve a similar objective. The biggest issue with a Torsen diff is that if one driven wheel becomes completely unloaded, as in off the ground for example, the locking effect of the diff will essentially be void. It will then function somewhat similar to an open diff.

You can indeed have both, however that would be a purpose built unit, not like one attached to the other.

If you jump on youtube and search wavetrac there is a good video that shows how their unit works, and there is a few other videos showing the difference between Torsen tight diffs and clutch type.

19. alink

Thanks all, now, with a better setted LSD, it's much better to drive

20. alink

limited slip diff is a really interesting topic and so I read much about the different systems.
    But now the question:
    When to use which LSD? All of them have their dis-/ advantages.
    Which do Formula 1, Protoypes, StockCars, SportCars, StreetCars,..., use?
    Does anybody know?