Do you use traction control?

Discussion in 'Automobilista - General Discussion' started by Baz76, Nov 3, 2016.

?
  1. Yes

14 vote(s)
    34.1%
  2. No

27 vote(s)
    65.9%
  1. Baz76

Baz76 New Member AMS2 Club Member

I switched TC off as soon as I started the game and kept it off since, but put it on low tonight for the first time, out of boredom really, and did a time trial in the MCR at Oulton and smashed my best by almost 1 second on the 2nd lap.

Now I feel like I cheated a bit. I'm so used to feathering the throttle to avoid oversteer and now with TC just on low I can mash the throttle with abandon and set great times (beta version if anyone's interested).

So should I feel guilty for putting in a better lap with TC on low or not? I dunno.

Interested in your thoughts or opinions on TC.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  2. Kevin Peat

Kevin Peat Active Member AMS2 Club Member

The MCR doesn't need any TC it has plenty of rear grip. You probably just learn't the circuit better by doing more laps.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Tim O'Glock

Tim O'Glock Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I voted "yes" because I use TC when driving the Formula V10. It is the only car in the game that is faster with TC. On all the other cars TC kicks in too early reducing corner exit speeds. You also get a weight penalty on most cars.

The MCR is definitely a car that doesn't profit from TC. It has tons of grip, no power and an open differential. It is never going to spin under power.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Angel Of Attack

Angel Of Attack Member

Formula V10 is something represent 2000~2004ish F1, and it did have TC.
    I play with EEC GT3 with TC and ABS on as it is in real life too.
    But smashing the throttle in a FF touring car without TC is my biggest fun!

5. Alistair McKinley

Alistair McKinley Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Same story here.
    I deactivated all assists in the main options but use the "setup TC" when racing V10s.
    Regarding EEC GT3 mod, I don't use TC or ABS either. PATR10T told me that these cars ought to have (little) TC and ABS by nature.
    Maybe I will be using ABS when doing longer races due to tyre wear and the threat of flat spotting.
    (Sorry, for my miserable English. Can't do any better at present. :oops:)

Edit:
    And to answer OP's question:
    There's no reason the feel ashamed in my opinion.
    Do MCR Sports 2000 have TC in real life?
    If so, everything's fine.
    If not, turn TC off again and try to beat your "traction control time" to redeem yourself. ;)
    Personally, I always drive the cars like their real counterparts. If they have ABS in real life, I use it. If they have TC and I want to have fun, I turn TC off. (In Assetto Corsa it's called "factory settings" --> I like that option. In Automobilista I go for the setup screen and check whether Shift mode, ABS and TC can be varied.)

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  6. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I voted NO, i only use TC when it is a default car setting, I don't use the driving aid TC

7. Alistair McKinley

Alistair McKinley Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

So, you do use it.
    As it is the case with me.
    Shouldn't you have voted "yes", then?
    Maybe we should define the meaning of using or not using TC because many people think like you and, thus, vote(d) "no".

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I un-voted

9. krusti

krusti RaceSimulatorItaly Founder AMS2 Club Member

Yes, i use TC when the real-life car have it, but when i set-up a server i always put TC off and ABS low.

10. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I vote yes but that depends on the car and state of tire. I.e in our online Le Mans Series we use Enduracers P2 physic, I'll usually turn on or increase the TC level when close to the end of stint

11. Spin

Spin Active Member

Sometimes I use TC with cars that have it in real life but I generally don't use it in ISI sims due to the simplistic way TC is coded in the game-engine. It's more of a general safety aid for newcomers. Live For Speed's TC system is actually attempting to replicate/code something complex - something all "hardcore sims" should have coded. ISI TC system is like a general "racing video game" way of doing TC. Apparently the diff modeling/coding and engine (motor) modeling/coding is uber simplistic as well compared to some other sims (even old ones). It's nice that Reiza did some updates to the motor modelling though (which I've been saying needed to be done for 5 or 6 years now but most just flamed me).

I really hope to see core-engine updates; unfortunately, so far, almost all updates are either cars or tracks or minor changes (eg. bug fixes) and Niels even said to not count on much more actual coding updates to the "mechanics/physics" of the game.

12. Ethan Dean

Ethan Dean Hotlap Masochist

I voted yes; if I need aids I'll use them, provided the real car has them. I can't bring myself to use them in a car which doesn't have them in reality, though.

13. Uani

Uani Member AMS2 Club Member

Do you have a source for this I can quote in a league description :) ?

14. Tim O'Glock

Tim O'Glock Active Member AMS2 Club Member

15. Uani

Uani Member AMS2 Club Member

Thank you very much! This is very appreciated! :)

16. doberk

doberk New Member

I think you should be realistic with the car you´re driving. If the car has TC turn it on, if don´t turn it off. And same with other features like clutch or shift. If the car has manual clutch and "H" shift I configure the game in the same way, always looking for the most realistic feeling.

17. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

I don't think there is a "Right or Wrong" answer here; it comes down to personal preference and I enjoy the challenge that comes with not using TC or other driving-aids. None the less, I can certainly understand why there are cases where it may be beneficial and if it makes a person's Sim-experience better, then that's reason enough IMO. :)

• Agree Agree x 1