1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engine Sound bug gt3 in steam vr mode?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - Help & Support' started by olligreen, Apr 24, 2021.

1. olligreen

olligreen New Member

Guys, i need help :)

Iam playing with track IR so i am using the steam vr mode.
    In HELMET view (this is the only view currently working with trackIR) i have massive sound problems with the porsche gt3 and the mclaren gt3: the engine sound is completely flat. Like there is only the high tones of the sound. It is like there are no mid and low tones of the engine sounds! The other sounds like rain and tires etc are fine. Inly the (mid&low) engine sounds are "missing"...?

The bmw m6 gt3 is fine. I haven't checked the amg gt3 so far.

Anyone got an idea?

I already checked the steam game files.

Best regards
    Olli

EDIT: sorry, i had to correct my post - it is in HELMET view, not in normal cockpit view (only helmet view is currently working with trackIR)

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
  2. olligreen

olligreen New Member

With the new update and content this bug is also on the porsche GTE car... Anyone else experienced this issue?
    That cars are unplayable with this kind of "no enginesound"... :(

3. ThunderChief

ThunderChief Member

I play in VR (Steam VR) with separate headphones and do no have this problem. Are you using the headphone mix option in the Audio settings?

4. olligreen

olligreen New Member

sorry, I had to correct my first post - it is in helmet view - not normal cockpit view (only helmet view is currently working with trackIR).

to your answer: yes, I tried both headphone mix option on/off.
    It is totally strange, because the BMW M6 GT3 and the M8 GTE are working fine...
    The Porsche GT3, GTE, the McLaren GT3, the Corvette GTE are not playable due to those "missing" engine sounds... it is like the engine sounds are scaled down to a minimum,...all other sound effects are fine...
    I even cycled through all cameras and ONLY the chase cam have the normal engine sound.
    In all other cams, the sound is "missing".

5. Chrismox

Chrismox New Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm having similar issues and have been for a while.

Certain cars (some of the GT3 cars, Puma P052 etc.) have almost no engine audio. It sounds like you're driving an electric car.

I'm using VR (Rift S in Oculus VR mode), but not using the headset's speakers for audio. My audio is a 5.1 speaker setup. I have found that if I set the speaker to stereo rather than 5.1, the engine sounds are normal. In 5.1 mode, they disappear in certain cars.

Needless to say, other games work fine, so the problem seems to lie with AMS2 with some cars but not others.

EDIT - Just tried the game in flat, non-VR mode and the issue persists, so seemingly not linked to VR for me.

I also found this thread which relates - No engine sound inside car

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
  6. Domagoj Lovric

Domagoj Lovric Moderator Staff Member

Can you try this, for the sake of test: change speaker output configuration to 7.1 and test again.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Chrismox

Thanks for your reply, Domagoj.

I tried setting the speaker output at 7.1 and got the same results I had with 5.1, the sound is incorrect.

For clarity, there is a distant, muffled engine sound, but not the correct one that I hear with the speakers set to stereo. All sounds other than the engine are correct, so if I hit a wall, it sounds the same with 5.1 or stereo in any car.

There are many cars that work fine and many that do not. To reproduce the issue, for example, I use the following:
    Opala Stock Car 86 - this works correctly with any speaker setup.
    Porsche Carrera Cup - this does not work with 5.1 speakers.

8. Domagoj Lovric

99% the cars that are working are cars with engine in front of driver, while ones that do not have engine behind driver. Wherever engine is, sound is distributed mostly to that speaker pair.

Can you try in Windows speaker setup screen, there is "test" option to hear if rear speakers play correctly?

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Chrismox

I’ve tried that test in the control panel and rear speakers work fine and sound identical to the front and centre speakers.

10. Domagoj Lovric

Can you do one more test, in game:
    Check if any sound is coming from rear speakers.
    I'd assume nothing, ie. Even if you crash somehow in rear end.

Symptoms you have is like rear speakers are muted, but I do know the output routine of game and am not aware of game-side muting of rear channels, but would like your issue solved as it's puzzling.

11. Chrismox

Hi Domagoj.

Well, for reasons I can't explain, all now seems to be working fine. I changed nothing in Windows or with my speakers, but now all sounds are working. As you say, the cars with the engine behind the driver have sounds coming from the rear speakers.

Fingers crossed that it stays working...

12. Domagoj Lovric

Hello @Chrismox, thanks for report.

I am shooting in the dark, but did you happen to be using any third party media-software that could change "balance", or per-speaker volume?

That can be found here (right click on main output device -> Properties -> Levels -> Balance)
    upload_2021-6-16_17-39-49.png

13. Chrismox

No, nothing is installed other than the Realtek drivers for the sound card. The sound card outputs to Logitech Z906 speakers which have the option to change the levels of individual speakers, but I’d already checked that and all levels are equal.

The PC is only used for my driving simulator, so there is no unnecessary software installed.

It’s a mystery, but I guess the good news is that everything is working. AMS2 updated itself the other day, but I didn’t see anything in the changelog regarding audio. Either way, thanks again for your help and suggestions. I’ll post again if I have any further insight.

• Like Like x 1
  14. olligreen

olligreen New Member

Uh, was not racing for some days, coming back and... Ah so many answers to this thread :) i'll also check if the problem is gone or any of the tips are working.

15. olligreen

olligreen New Member

Ok guys, thanks to your conversation, i started trying out some windows options.

In my case it is now working fine by activating the option "windows sonic for headphones".

Thanks a lot. Case closed from my side :)

• Winner Winner x 1