F301 vs F309 physics

Discussion in 'Automobilista - General Discussion' started by Jan Mikuž, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Jan Mikuž

Jan Mikuž Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Are these two supposed to race each other ?
    It feels like F301 is running different physics and it's more awkward and difficult/challenging to race ?

@Renato Simioni

Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  2. Renato Simioni

Renato Simioni Administrator Staff Member

Of course, these are different Dallara chassis split by roughly 8 years of development. They race together in brazilian F3 (the old F301 chassis offering a lower cost entry level then the more advanced F309). The F301 class is called "F3 Light".

Both classes run the same tires and engines (i4 from argentinean manufacturer Berta), which means the F301 is actually slightly faster in a straightline as it produces less downforce. Other pecularities of the F301 is the 5-speed gearbox and the monoshock front suspension. F309 is generally 1-2s faster per lap though.

• Like Like x 5
  3. Jan Mikuž

Jan Mikuž Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Thanks for the info.
    But since there's such a big difference in lap time, i suppose they are not intended to compete against each other, but only within their own series respectively ? Like a multiclass race sort of thing ?

Had my first F3 AMS test this evening and was caught of guard by F301 handling. :confused:
    Everything is much looser, more understeer, more oversteer, worse traction, worse downforce,
    easily upset by little bumps and curbs...a tricky little bugger :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Josimracing

Josimracing New Member AMS2 Club Member

You bet!