1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fanatec Mclaren Wheel - Assigning the rotary encoders

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - Help & Support' started by Jonny Young, Aug 19, 2022.

1. Jonny Young

Jonny Young New Member

I have a Fanatec Mclaren GT3 wheel (the original version, not the V2) which for the most part works well with AMS2. I would like to be able to use the two main rotary encoders to set ABS and TC, as I do in ACC. I can't figure out how to do it though. I've tried assigning TC and ABS to the encoders by going into "assign" and moving them up and down, but it doesn't seem to work. If anything, I just get a seemingly random value. Does anyone know how to set these accurately please?

2. Gagaryn

Gagaryn Out To Lunch AMS2 Club Member

You need to select encoder rather than constant or pulse in the Fanatec Driver or in the wheel menu system. Then each knob will have only two outputs - one for clockwise and one for anticlockwise.

Sounds like you have them set as pulse or constant multi-position switches, where each and every click sends a different output.

• Useful Useful x 2
  3. Jonny Young

Jonny Young New Member

Oh perfect, that might be it. Thank you so much!

4. Jonny Young

Jonny Young New Member

Actually that doesn't seem to have worked unfortunately. I changed it to ENC, but when I try and assign it in the options menu, I seem to get a get a different value each time I move it? And in game, it still doesnt work predictably. Any ideas?

5. Gagaryn

Now that I think of it - the V1 only has multiple position switches - no encoder function so you are out of luck. I should have remembered that as I also own one!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Jonny Young

Jonny Young New Member

Yikes that's not good. Oh well, thank you for your help @Gagaryn

7. tempesttornado23

tempesttornado23 New Member AMS2 Club Member

Hi. I have the exact same wheel and struggled to get the abs and tc assigned to the 2 rotary wheels on the Mclaren wheel. I finally figured it out with various forum posts and videos:

1. In the fanalab software, set up the rotary encoder buttons on Encoder mode
    2. In AMS2: Under menu for Controls setup for the wheel, last option on one of the menus for wheel configuration is “enable analogue inputs in menu”….set that to Yes to allow buttons on wheel to interact with AMS2. And rpm/gear display should be set to No for ams2 to interact with fanalab software
    3. In AMS2: then set up the 2 buttons by going to the 4 options in button mapping for “increase ABS”, “decrease abs”, “increase tc”, ‘decrease tc”….mouse click on Increase ABS and turn the knob one click to the right, then mouse click on decrease abs and turn the knob one click to the left….same then for tc with the other encoder knob.

these worked for me to allow the 2 encoders on the wheel to work.

8. Gagaryn

Yup - but doesn't work on the OP's V1 wheel as it has no encoder function as discussed above.

• Useful Useful x 1